Background check, why so long?

This is a discussion on Background check, why so long? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems to be taking most people 70 or more days to get there permit. Are they just to busy with all the applications? It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Background check, why so long?

Background check, why so long?

It seems to be taking most people 70 or more days to get there permit. Are they just to busy with all the applications? It seems like once they get to yours it would only take a few minutes to do the background check. Am I missing something?
    Sig P250 9mm
    Ed Brown 1911 Kobra 45ACP
    Ruger Mark III 22
    Browning Silver 12ga
    Browning BAR 30-06

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    In a lot of states the delays and long waits are due to the increased volume of applications.
    There's a major upsurge in applications all over the country.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

think of the bureaucracies your info goes through to get processed...FBI for one.

also, applications are increasing all across the country.
    Last edited by 762; July 22nd, 2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: content
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛAB…

I think there's a little more to the background check than just a phone call like they do at the gun shop when you fill out the yellow sheet. More than one agency involved. FBI, NCIC, military history, state agencies, and maybe even the IRS and Interpol to add to the amount of applications being processed nationwide.

Yes where I am from Detroit MI the county of Wayne takes a long time 50 or so days and in other counties like Macomb I hear itís only 10 or fewer days. They have near the same population. The difference one is a gun friendly county. And I hear that in the counties up north itís only a day.
    My brotherís wife in GA is a volunteer fire fighter. When she applied for her carry permit (Donít recall the exact amount of time) like months. She started to voice a complaint and at that very moment her fire dep. ID dropped of her hand. The clerk said why you didnít tell me you were fire dep. She got it the same day.
    In Counseled carry mag. A fellow wrote a column on not being able to get a GA carry permit for months and he had a valid permit from FL where he was moving from.
    To sum it up they the county wantsí you to go disarmed.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I agree, several weeks' wait on a permit seems too long for each of us while it's happening. I waited 8 weeks, other counties in my state have a much shorter wait, a few longer.

At least the waiting doesn't cost us financially. When my son was hired for a job, it was contingent upon his passing a background check for security clearance by the FBI. He waited 6 months for the bureau to get to his case; his physics department kept him on as a graduate assistant during this time, but the wait cost him tens of thousands of dollars in wages he could have been earning.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Yes where I am from Detroit MI the county of Wayne takes a long time 50 or so days and in other counties like Macomb I hear it’s only 10 or fewer days. They have near the same population. The difference one is a gun friendly county. And I hear that in the counties up north it’s only a day.
    My brother’s wife in GA is a volunteer fire fighter. When she applied for her carry permit (Don’t recall the exact amount of time) like months. She started to voice a complaint and at that very moment her fire dep. ID dropped of her hand. The clerk said why you didn’t tell me you were fire dep. She got it the same day.
    In Counseled carry mag. A fellow wrote a column on not being able to get a GA carry permit for months and he had a valid permit from FL where he was moving from.
    To sum it up they the county wants’ you to go disarmed.
    It took my county over 90 days to issue me my permit. By law it should be issued in no more than 40 days I think. Georgia has been historically very slow when it comes to issuing them. Hopefully GCO can continue to improve this.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; July 22nd, 2008 at 09:06 PM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Licensing without FBI?

Quote Originally Posted by mig7410 View Post
    It seems like once they get to yours it would only take a few minutes to do the background check. Am I missing something?
    When I received my Utah CHL yesterday, it included a form letter from the Commissioner that said that the issuance of the license was contingent on their receiving an acceptable report from the FBI. This suggests that the bottleneck may in fact be at the FBI, and not at the states' offices. Having just re-watched "Die Hard With a Vengeance," I think that the popular notion of all information being instantly available everywhere may not be the case. It's a little puzzling. Or maybe it's a staffing shortage as the Agency's attention is turned to higher priorities.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right. - Learned Hand

Quote Originally Posted by mig7410 View Post
    It seems to be taking most people 70 or more days to get there permit. Are they just to busy with all the applications? It seems like once they get to yours it would only take a few minutes to do the background check. Am I missing something?
    70 days would have been wonderful. In NY State, it takes an average of about 4 months! And you cannot even possess, even at the range, a handgun until you have that particular one on your permit!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

That's why I love Missouri. It is legislated by statute that the Sheriff must issue or deny in 45 days whether background check is complete or not.

They are supposed to go ahead and approve and let you acquire your permit. If later the background check comes back with "red flag" markers that would result in a denial, the sheriff then has to go to you and revoke your permit until your appeals are exhausted. It also gets entered in the DMV computer that it has been revoked so if you get stopped before the sheriff gets you to surrender your permit, the LEO's will know what you show them is not valid.

I think the legislature was very forward thinking in trying to head off complaints about local sheriffs who may be anti-ccw dragging their feet and intentionally slowing the process when they wrote the statute.

Good law as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a personal friend of the sheriff and work for him as an armed tactical medic on his swat team... He's pro-gun and a republican. None the less, in 45 days, I had my ccw permit. I think pretty much all the sheriff's use the entire 45 day limit to issue. I haven't heard of anyone getting their permit sooner. But no one gets one later than 45 days unless it is being denied.

I do feel sorry for those who have to wait 3 or 4 months or longer.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I think it is a combination of factors. Applications are up. They probably don't have a lot of people assigned to running them. And with the increase in applications there are going to be more fingerprint cards that are getting hand checked or rejected and reprocessed.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    That's why I love Missouri. It is legislated by statute that the Sheriff must issue or deny in 45 days whether background check is complete or not.

They are supposed to go ahead and approve and let you acquire your permit. If later the background check comes back with "red flag" markers that would result in a denial, the sheriff then has to go to you and revoke your permit until your appeals are exhausted. It also gets entered in the DMV computer that it has been revoked so if you get stopped before the sheriff gets you to surrender your permit, the LEO's will know what you show them is not valid.

I think the legislature was very forward thinking in trying to head off complaints about local sheriffs who may be anti-ccw dragging their feet and intentionally slowing the process when they wrote the statute.

Good law as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a personal friend of the sheriff and work for him as an armed tactical medic on his swat team... He's pro-gun and a republican. None the less, in 45 days, I had my ccw permit. I think pretty much all the sheriff's use the entire 45 day limit to issue. I haven't heard of anyone getting their permit sooner. But no one gets one later than 45 days unless it is being denied.

I do feel sorry for those who have to wait 3 or 4 months or longer.
    Ohio has the same 45 day max time. Most get theirs in about 2 weeks or less though.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Texas is just getting pounded right now. Last year Texas issued about 35K new licenses for all of 2007. As of the start of July, Texas has processed 52K new/renewal applications. By law, Texas is supposed to issue the license in 60 days, but the backlog has now increased the wait time to 90-130 days (3-4 months) and it appears that the wait time is growing. The DPS does the initial processing/checks for your application, then they send your prints off to the FBI and they send your application info off to your local county authorities. Then they only issue the license when both the FBI and your local county authority gives them the go ahead. Texas does criminal background checks, but they also do additional checks such as, making sure you don't owe any property taxes, making sure you aren't in default of a school loan, making sure you don't owe child support, and other checks that presumably take additional time.

Quite frankly I would love to have to wait "only" 50 days to get my license.

I've been wondering the same thing...in VA (and it sounds like MO too)...45 days to process an application...most places are able to issue in about (or less than) half of that time. Why it takes places like NY/NYC 6+ months, while it takes VA 45 days (or less)...i have no idea. That darn phrase "shall not be infringed" keeps popping into my head.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    That darn phrase "shall not be infringed" keeps popping into my head.
    Well, unfortunately it does not say "shall not be infringed, in a timely manner". Given the hoopla surrounding CCW and gun rights, I'm sure some states use lengthy/complex application periods as a way to discourage people from getting their permits. From their perspective they aren't infringing on your rights because they allow people to get CCW permits. However, no where in the constitution does it say what is reasonable and what isn't. Ask a gun owner, and he'll say anything longer is unreasonable. As a anti-gun, and she'll say that 6mos - 1year period is reasonable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links