Traffic Stop CC Notification

This is a discussion on Traffic Stop CC Notification within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you guys think about notifying an officer during a routine traffic stop that your're CCW carrying, even if the law does not require ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Stop CC Notification

What do you guys think about notifying an officer during a routine traffic stop that your're CCW carrying, even if the law does not require it ? And how would you handle an agitated officer or an officer who doesn't know the law and threatens to arrest you for not telling him ?

i'd tell the officer out of courtesy. i dont need him pulling my info up, seeing that i have a CCW and me not tell him.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

The last time I was stopped and felt obligated to warn the officer there was a firearm present was several years ago.

I had already retired from law enforcement but was licensed as a PI in a couple of states and was was leaving my former hometown before dawn enroute to Memphis some six hours away to conduct an employee theft investigation when I failed to recognize I was still in a 35 MPH zone as opposed to the 45 MPH one I THOUGHT I was in at the time.

When the city officer asked for my vehicle registration and proof of insurance, I informed him that both were in my glove box but before I reached for them I said, "I don't want to SURPRISE you but there's a stainless Smith Bodyguard in there with a State Police emblem engraved on the side."

Note: This was after my retirement, but before my state enacted its concealed carry legislation. It was, however, legal to have a loaded firearm in the glovebox.

Everything went smoothly from that point on and I was allowed to drive away with only "have a nice day" or its equivelent.

Better safe than sorry IMO. I would hand him my DL and CHL, just to be safe, then if he asks are you carrying tell him yes and where.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Not required in FL.

However, if I'm pulled over and I'm carrying at the moment, then I will offer my CWFL along with my driver license.

I would rather the LEO know up front, rather then happening upon it unawares.

-JT

If your driving your own car, he will already know this when he checks you licence plate
    Sig P250 9mm
    Ed Brown 1911 Kobra 45ACP
    Ruger Mark III 22
    Browning Silver 12ga
    Browning BAR 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by mig7410 View Post
    If your driving your own car, he will already know this when he checks you licence plate
    Depends on what state you live in. I'm reasonably sure that there is no link to your driver license or tag in FL. Here, the CWFL is issued by the Department of Agriculture...there's little or no connection to the FDLE.

-JT

I've only been pulled over for minor traffic violations twice in the 15+ years that I've been carrying. I didn't notify on either occassion and likely wouldn't if it were to happen again.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

If I ever get stopped my plan is to present my permit with my drivers license and inform the officer that I am armed. At that point the ball is in his court. If the officer is an idiot, comply comply comply. His stupidity is not worth me getting shot, sprayed or tazed over. It can all get sorted out later at the court house.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Pa does not require notification. Will know the other state laws prior to going there and will comply with that states laws.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

The last time I was stopped, I told the officer that I had a firearm on me and I was a ccw holder. The couple of times this has happened in the past, they just say "thanks for informing me". No big deal. I just feel better knowing that they know I am legally packing.
    Paracord Survival Bracelets & Lanyards. Help us raise awareness and $'s for our Wounded Warriors! Visit www.SurvivalStraps.com

Most LEOs would appreciate being informed about your CC and will probably never hassle you about it.

If you should cross paths with one who is keen on arresting you, remain calm and cooperate fully with his or her commands. Be polite when addressing the officer. Then later on, obtain a lawyer and sue them personally and the government entity that employs them for false arrest.

Any good LEO knows what can happen to them from a civil lawsuit, so I doubt that one would arrest you after being informed that you are legally carrying.

You may still get that speeding ticket, but you have not violated any other laws.
    God bless our troops!

Don't ask, Don't tell...In Iowa we are not required to notify, I have been stopped once while carrying and did NOT inform he officer. If he were order me out of my vehicle then I would let him know. Otherwise its none of his business if I am carrying or not.

Really, do you notify the cashier that you are packing when you pick up your nachos and Icee at Wal-Mart? Why tell LEO (if you are not required to by law)?

Volunteering to Law Enforcement

Most if not all Second Amendment Attorneys will advise "do not volunteer this type of information, unless asked by the officer" no need to in the first place... Now they advise if you have to reach to an area where your gun is located please advise the officer.. do not lie.. but thats its.. many law enforcement officers are not real keen on the private sector carrying a weapon. This will irritate them on an otherwise routine stop. Others it will not...

Most Second Amendment Attorneys are former Prosecutors and are also very well know to the Police Officers in the area.. (as they most likely use the very same 2nd. Amendment Attorney you do when involed in a shooting themselves) Thats another issue.. if you infact get into a question of law or trouble with your weapon.. by all means obtain an Attorney where this is their speciality. The same way you would choose a physician for a special need. They have many years of case laws they are familiar with and on most occasions the Prosecutors and Judges are well familiar with their expertise.. General Attorneys do not have the knowledge or interest to represent you.. quite the opposite if they are not a gun person.

Again when dealing with Law Enforcement do what they tell their own officers when they are involved in a shooting.. "Call your attorney..Do not talk. and take adminsitrative leave" all within the same breath. Under stress we all say too much and the wrong things including the police. This is not lying to law enforcement this is protecting yourself.

Do not volunteer... this is not a matter of disrespect ... this is not a matter of making the officers nervious.. this is not (not) telling the truth.. this is being wise and do what one should do to keep from getting hurt or going to jail. I will tell you again! There are a great percentage of officers that do not like the private citizens carrying. The other percentage appreciate you. Why gamble when you do not need to.

If you have the opportunity please read the book... [FLORIDA FIREARMS LAW, USE & OWNERSHIP 6TH EDITION] BY JON H. GUTMACHER, ESQ. This book in Florida is used by the Courts, Police, States Attorney Office. The authoritative guide that explains Florida & Federal Laws on firearms, weapons and self defense issues.

i'd put myself in the officers shoes...would i want to be unaware of a loaded weapon on the person of someone i don't know as i write them a ticket?

I am supposed to notify by law, but even if i wasn't required to, i would still tell them - he/she will see when my info is pulled anyway.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links