Harassed again

This is a discussion on Harassed again within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems like I draw parking lot pan-handlers like bees to honey. Today at Lowes asheville, nc two guys come to a screeching halt in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harassed again

Harassed again

It seems like I draw parking lot pan-handlers like bees to honey. Today at Lowes asheville, nc two guys come to a screeching halt in the parking lot, one gets out and starts his story about being low on gas, etc., etc. I told him to wait until i got my car loaded. Surprisingly he stops about ten yards away and waits till I get in my car. I cracked the window and told him I could not help him, he mumbles, gets back in his car and drives off.

I have on muddy work pants, a muddy t-shirt and generally look like hell. I am 48 years, 6 feet tall, weigh 220 pounds, salt and pepper hair and look like I don't own a penny (which is true).

This is like the third time in a month that I have been approached. Having my old Smith Model 38 in my pocket is comforting but do I need to work on my sneer, dress better (can't get worse), or just hand them some old monopoly money?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Some people just have a yes face. I have one. Part of it is because I usually make eye contact with other people and smile or nod hello. If you look friendly people will try to hit you up. On the other hand I've helped people before who may have been afraid to ask someone else. It's both a curse and a blessing.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Panhandling is about statistics. The more people you ask, the more likely you are to get some money. I doubt they seriously care what you look like. It's about asking as many people as you can to increase your odds.

How do I know? Well, I've been to both San Diego and Vancouver British Columbia, both which probably contain the largest number of panhandlers in most cities. You watch the panhandlers in both cities, and they target EVERYONE, not just the people that look more professional than others.

I just give everyone the WTH is your problem look and most people leave me alone. Anyone that decides that I will still give them something gets an evil eye and a stare down.

Its worked so far for me, but I find it strange that you get hassled while wearing dirty work clothes.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 23rd, 2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Edited a language workaround.

Thanks guys. I guess I'm just tired of free-loaders and their pathetic lies.

Tell them you may have some work for them and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by sixball View Post
    Good idea. Never seen a bum run so fast in my life......
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuglyXJ View Post
    I just give everyone the WTH is your problem look and most people leave me alone. Anyone that decides that I will still give them something gets an evil eye and a stare down.

Its worked so far for me, but I find it strange that you get hassled while wearing dirty work clothes.
    +1 Works for me too!!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Administrator
    Howard Hughes looked like he was always penniless too.
    Come on...you can tell us.
    We know that you're a millionaire and a really soft touch.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    I have on muddy work pants, a muddy t-shirt and generally look like hell. I am 48 years, 6 feet tall, weigh 220 pounds, salt and pepper hair and look like I don't own a penny (which is true).
    You need a new shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    It seems like I draw parking lot pan-handlers like bees to honey. Today at Lowes asheville, nc two guys come to a screeching halt in the parking lot, one gets out and starts his story about being low on gas, etc., etc. I told him to wait until i got my car loaded. Surprisingly he stops about ten yards away and waits till I get in my car. I cracked the window and told him I could not help him, he mumbles, gets back in his car and drives off.

This is like the third time in a month that I have been approached. Having my old Smith Model 38 in my pocket is comforting but do I need to work on my sneer, dress better (can't get worse), or just hand them some old monopoly money?
    jhh3rd...

You sound like a nice guy. I need a little help. You see, my car tires are 'bald', my dog is hungry, and my wife needs medical care. I must take care of these problems soon...I'm desperate, honest!
    Please, could you spare a silent donation? (no coins)
    Forward to Ret's Family Problem Center...P.M. me for the address.

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughtfulness...

I'll get back to you ASAP...have to go clean the pool now, bye.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    jhh3rd...

You sound like a nice guy. I need a little help. You see, my car tires are 'bald', my dog is hungry, and my wife needs medical care. I must take care of these problems soon...I'm desperate, honest!
    Please, could you spare a silent donation? (no coins)
    Forward to Ret's Family Problem Center...P.M. me for the address.

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughtfulness...

I'll get back to you ASAP...have to go clean the pool now, bye.

My wife always tells me I have a "Dont even think about talking to me!!" face on when we go out. I had a guy comes towards me in the Barnes and Nobles parking lot one day and when I turned to face him, since I am always in condition yellow outside my home :), he thought better than to say anything to me and turned and walked the other way. That's what I want to accomplish when I am out and about.

My attitude and way of carrying myself sends a message to anyone that I do NOT want to be messed with and/or talked to for any reason. Leave me alone and go about your buisness. You want the time?? Go buy yourself a watch you cheapskate! You can get one out of the quarter machine at Toys R' Us.

I have no use for anyone besides my good friends and family once I leave the door of my house. I'm always polite and respectful but I am ready to draw down and destroy anyone who decides to threaten the life of myself or my family.

Panhandlers I completely ignore. I have had my share of plenty of them when my wife and I go to Boston. I have yet to have one put his/her hands even close to me. Hopefully, that point will never come because I do not relish the idea of destroying someone for it.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 23rd, 2008 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Edited a language workaround.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by sixball View Post
    Another +1, there are always a few projects around the house that I need doing. I have no problem paying for it, but for some reason, the "Will Work For Food" signs disappear when I ask.

The worst part of all of it, is you feel guilty for not helping. The majority of the people who 'need help' are better off than most of us, and the ones who really need help, have no problem getting help through government programs, or through actually working for their pay.

I'm one of the ones who do not look 'receptive' to requests for money, so I am usually avoided.

The few times I have helped people who have asked, have been in church, or those times when I pick up a hiker and pick up the tab at a restaurant.

I honestly have no problem helping people out, but the second anybody asks me for cash, the deal is closed, and I'm out of there. I do not help people who refuse to help themselves.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I think i should go stand at the end of the innerstate and panhandle for some college tuition money :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links