Travel containers/procedures

This is a discussion on Travel containers/procedures within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be traveling by car to several states this year. Most will honor my permit, but the usual suspects (CA, IL, OR, NE, WI) ...

I will be traveling by car to several states this year. Most will honor my permit, but the usual suspects (CA, IL, OR, NE, WI) will not. I plan to keep any pistol and ammunition separate, but I usually travel with only a single range bag. The bag has several compartments and some can be locked individually. Does anyone know if this would qualify for keeping pistol, ammunition, and any clips separate and locked? In other words, I plan on using the bag as my only storage method since I don't have a trunk in my vehicle.

Thanks, for any ideas.

I would consider something like the "Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe". It's compact, can be locked to a seat post and is keyed. Keep the gun in there, and keep the ammo locked in your range bag.

It's available at Cabela's and other places. Here's a link and a description:

Cabela's -- Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe
    Attached Images
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I would consider something like the "Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe". It's compact, can be locked to a seat post and is keyed. Keep the gun in there, and keep the ammo locked in your range bag.
    [/url]
    Actually, if I can have everything in one bag with the individual pockets considered as "separate cases", I was thinking I could use the storage safe in one of the pockets - with the cable exiting through the zipper and attached to one of the cleats in the floor of my SUV. That way, although a determined thief could still grab it, there would be a some extra effort required and time becomes his enemy. Meanwhile, I would have ammunition in another pocket and clips in a third and separate locks on the pockets. The pistol would be in the storage safe so that even if the thief slashed the bag to get the bag free, the pistol would still be tethered to the cleat and require another tool to remove it. I would loose a little ammo and a clip or two, but that might be acceptable. At night, the whole bag could be carried to a hotel room for safer keeping.

All this hinges on whether the law of states such as CA would consider this arrangement as sufficient separation of the components.

As long as the ammo and guns aren't stored in such a way where the guns can be loaded in a quick manner. If you are in a Explorer I would have the guns in a bag in the rear and the ammo in a seperate bag up front, or vice versa, locks on the bags would be a plus.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

There are locks on the zippers on both ends of the bag and one of the locks can be used to include the zipper on the top, main compartment. So everything is pretty much closed. In think I like the idea of using another safe cabled to the rear seat for storing the pistol or ammo even further apart. There's no way I, or anyone else could get into the bag quickly. On the other hand, if I need to leave the vehicle at night, it would be much easier to take everything out at one time and as casually as possible if all items were in the single bag. It looks like any overnighter and the main delay would be in detaching the cable from the floor - or from the safe which is quicker. And nothing would be 'loose' while carrying it all inside.

It sounds like you feel that using this kind of configuration would be okay in most areas to qualify with the law (?). My primary concern is complying with the rules, but being able to move everything inside at night without calling attention to ourselves.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

I would think more research is in order on your part.

While your suggestion works for me... and sounds logical...

IL, WI & CA are very unfriendly gun states... It could be a matter of really splitting hairs if stopped by a LEO that is an extreme stickler for the letter of the law in that state.

Since I already have 2 COM car safes keyed alike. (one under each of the front seats for my guns or my wifes guns) it's not really an issue for me and I would recommend separating the items in completely separate containers. However you may be perfectly ok with locking separate pockets on the same range bag.

My advise is to research carefully as you're kind of splitting hairs as to whether guns and ammo is technically in a separate container with your suggested set-up.

Your goal should be to have a safe and uneventful trip without being jammed up at the side of the road getting hassled or at worst, charged with a firearm violation while on vacation, and not necessarily just being convenient in moving your stuff from the car to your room.

Center-of-Mass Car Safes

Btw... the COM safes are the exact same as the one offered in Cabela's except you can purchase multiple safes "keyed alike" and in two different sizes.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Well, I do have two of the safes, but they are not keyed alike. I have been using one in each car. I suppose I could just move both to one car when vacationing. And, if I used a revolver instead of a semi-auto, I would only need one for the pistol and one for the ammo and wiith both moved to my travel bag to exit the vehicle - separate compartments - sounds like they would meet the Federal standard. According to the CA attorney general's site, "the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container"and that sounds like the Federal standard as well. If I add the second safe for the ammo, I can keep them apart in the car (one under seats or in rear compartments, etc) and just combine them in the locked travel bag when entering a hotel. But I think the second locked box should still be in the bag to enable it to be cabled to the car to slow down would-be thieves. Sound okay? Great comments, by the way. Thanks.
    Last edited by past60; July 24th, 2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: clarify language

Links