Carrying in a Gun Store - yes, no, maybe?

This is a discussion on Carrying in a Gun Store - yes, no, maybe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i find people who work in gun stores to be arrogant know-it-alls. maybe they think they are one men armies and disarm the customer to ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in a Gun Store - yes, no, maybe?

i find people who work in gun stores to be arrogant know-it-alls. maybe they think they are one men armies and disarm the customer to make them feel superior...i could get more Freudian with this however.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    i find people who work in gun stores to be arrogant know-it-alls. maybe they think they are one men armies and disarm the customer to make them feel superior...i could get more Freudian with this however.
    Largely true; working in one tends to do that to you because of the same reasons I talked about in my post. Thats the main reason why I refuse to work in one anymore.
    "Just blame Sixto"

1943 - 2009
    Maybe, in your opinion, all the gun store workers in Las Vegas are arrogant know-it-alls, but do you really think you should paint all gun store workers everywhere with this broad brush?

Would you rather have someone working in a gun store who doesn't know which end the bullet comes out of?

I owned a gun shop once. Does that make me an arrogant know-it-all? My only employees were immediate family, and they weren't arrogant know-it-alls either.

Limatunes works in a gun store. Would you call her an arrogant know-it-all, too?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Maybe, in your opinion, all the gun store workers in Las Vegas are arrogant know-it-alls, but do you really think you should paint all gun store workers everywhere with this broad brush?

Would you rather have someone working in a gun store who doesn't know which end the bullet comes out of?

I owned a gun shop once. Does that make me an arrogant know-it-all? My only employees were immediate family, and they weren't arrogant know-it-alls either.

Limatunes works in a gun store. Would you call her an arrogant know-it-all, too?
    not at all...i don't want to paint with a broad brush, but almost EVERY gun store i've ever been (here and in the north east), that's the overall attitude, and i will be real with you...some of them were clueless as to what they were trying to sell me. they didn't know a WASR 10 from an RPK..i was telling them about it.

I would love to go into a store like the one you used to have. I'm sure i'd be treated like a human being.

Gun stores here are tourist attractions because of class 3 weapons and all, but that's no excuse for treating a customer like a moron.

Come out here, open a shop and i will gladly give you business.

again - i'll put my broad brush away for now.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

VIP Member
    Fortunately for me a sign carries no legal weight in my state and I don't OC so... what they don't know wouldn't hurt me.

On the flip side, I saw the owner of a gun shop in town where I have been doing business for over 30 years almost get shot by a knucklehead bringing in a loaded 1911 in for some work. He brought the weapon out of a soft gun case cocked and unlocked with his finger in the trigger guard, pointing it right at the gun shop owner's mid-section and yes, it had a round chambered.

So I truely do understand why some gun shops believe "No Loaded Weapons" signs are necessary.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Fortunately for me a sign carries no legal weight in my state and I don't OC so... what they don't know wouldn't hurt me.
    This is the case more often than folks realize.

I don't agree with said signs, but I understand why they're in place. I haven't been into a gun shop locally that doesn't have them somewhere, the sole exceptions being chain sporting goods stores that happen to sell guns.

-B

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I have to agree, generalizations are dangerous. I've had great luck at one of my local gun shops and find the people working there to be exteamly friendly, knowledgable, and accomadating. Sorry for my bad spelling. I'm sure the attitude they are approched with has a lot to do with how they react.

I also agree that gun shops get a lot of low lifes in there and can understand being concerned when someone open carries in the establishement. The same local gun shop I'm referring to, recently refused a sale to a guy. The same clown went to another store, purchased a gun, and committed a crime. I'll have to see if I can find the article on it again and see if it's been posted before. Probably heppened in the last 2 yrs or so.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

sorry guys - i get so mad when i think about a few of these places that have gotten thousands of dollars of my business and when i walk in again i am still treated like a class A moron... needless to say, i don't shop there anymore.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

VIP Member
    sorry guys - i get so mad when i think about a few of these places that have gotten thousands of dollars of my business and when i walk in again i am still treated like a class A moron... needless to say, i don't shop there anymore.
    I went out looking at guns today thinking I was going to get one. I went to every gun shop in town except one, the one place that I knew for certain would have the gun I was looking for. It was the only place I didn't go... for the same reason. They're too consumed with their little condescending egos to realize they're driving away good customers.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I shop at lot at Virginia Arms in Manassas.

Mostly concealed but sometimes I have open carried and they haven't said anything.

They are VERY professional and helpful. Bernie runs a first class operation.

At Shooters Paradise (before it burned down) in Woodbridge, VA, some of the guys told me that if someone came in open carrying and they didn't know the person, they would send him out to put his gun in the car.

They related several hair raising stories about some of the morons who came in there. One pulled his gun to show a problem he had with it, and promptly put a round through a file cabinet.

The thing that makes a gun store different from other public places is that in other places, you wouldn't even consider unholstering your gun but in a gun store, brain fade can take over and some moron pulls a loaded gun to try out a new holster or something.

Not saying its right or wrong; it just is.

Most of the gun stores in the Northern Virginia area don't worry about concealed even if open carry worries them.

I just conceal and forget about it.

Now if I couldn't even carry concealed, I would find a new gun store.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

The guns shops I frequent here in the Houston area are posted. But of course their signs say CHL holders are exempt!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

if/when i do walk into a gun store (for ammo, etc.) i am concealing. i see no sign and no one asks me if i am carrying, so i don't say a word about it. but if they ask me to disarm, fuggeddaboudit...i am out the door.

This is what I do.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    No problem anywhere I've been so far in CO. They've all had signs on the door saying guns entering the store must be unloaded and cased - except - CCW and law inforcement.
    Firing Line in Aurora doesn't allow loaded weapons, CCW or LE. The signage is that the action must be open.

The one I frequent in Tucson requires them holstered or in a case. That seems perfectly reasonable.

I have run into gun store guys who have massive cases of ego... power-tripping like crazy. This is annoying, certainly, and makes me want to roll my eyes. But most of the guys who work in gun stores seem sensible, helpful... if perhaps a little uptight, but that's understandable given the line of work.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    having worked behind a gun counter, I fully understand why some would want it that way, be it right or wrong, there are a lot of goofs that frequent gun stores.
    I can sort of see this, SIXTO, but that could be the argument for no guns in ANY store... or at all... i/e, we don't want crazies with guns, so let's disarm everybody...
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    I can sort of see this, SIXTO, but that could be the argument for no guns in ANY store... or at all... i/e, we don't want crazies with guns, so let's disarm everybody...
    Yes and no... goofs want to take their gun out to show people, compare to another model, test holster fit etc... The corner grocery store doesn't invite such temptation to do those things.

Just so there is no confusion, I support the store owners right to run the business as he sees fit, just as I support your right to take business elsewhere if you don't like how the store is run.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links