Carrying in a Gun Store - yes, no, maybe? - Page 3

Carrying in a Gun Store - yes, no, maybe?

This is a discussion on Carrying in a Gun Store - yes, no, maybe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most of the big stores in CO have signs that say if you want to CCW it must stay holstered or you must take it ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in a Gun Store - yes, no, maybe?

Most of the big stores in CO have signs that say if you want to CCW it must stay holstered or you must take it to the counter and allow the staff to "make-safe" so you can try a holster. The highest numbers of AD/ND happen during re-holstering or cleaning. So add the fact that the holster is new and stiff and you have a potential very bad situation if you allow "random" customers to un-holster and try on new holsters in the store aisles.

I usually just go to the pistol counter and ask to see the same model as my CCW. I have a Sig P229 and they always have it in stock.

I know the feeling

Here in SE Kentucky there are 4 main gun shops I go to. The main one has a big sign saying CCWers are welcome and on the other side of the door there is a sign saying all weapons must remain holstered. This second sign went up after I personally saw a moron pull his weapon and point it directly at another customers head.

Obviously all the employees went thru the roof and the moron was banned from the store permanently, just like what I woulda done. But there are idiots everywhere just because they CC doesn't make them any more responsible than they were before. It's sad but true.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

me
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    At Shooters Paradise (before it burned down) in Woodbridge, VA, some of the guys told me that if someone came in open carrying and they didn't know the person, they would send him out to put his gun in the car.
    Sorry, If I am OC (no longer an option since i moved to Texas) and a gun shop worker tells me to put it in the car. He gets told right back

"If I walk out to the car I am getting in it and not coming back, you have yours I have mine both can stay in the holsters all day. Whats YOUR CALL?"

If it Go take it Off I ask for the name to tell the owner then i leave.

If I have a gun that I am planning on testing for X at the gun shop then I am not carrying it and you will be informed before it appears that it is unloaded and then shown clear. If the slide can lock back it will be locked back before i even come in.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    having worked behind a gun counter, I fully understand why some would want it that way, be it right or wrong, there are a lot of goofs that frequent gun stores.
    Damn, now that you mention it, I've seen some pretty 'goofy' people in gun stores...on both sides of the counter.

To the OP, I don't frequent gun shops that would require me to disarm.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 24th, 2008 at 01:52 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can say that nobody will disarm me other than a fellow LE under the law. No gun store will ever disarm me. Most of the stores I go to in Texas are very easy going and specifically put up the incorrect sign so that CHL holders can feel comfortable and their insurance stays off their back. If I ever visited a self hating gun store, then I would only do that once. However, I do agree that a store has right to conduct business however they see fit. I too have ran into people in the local store pull out there loaded gun(I presume), proceed to point it at everyone and then try to find a holster that it would fit in. I think the pucker factor goes up to a 9 or 10 when you see someone trying to shove a glock into a holster that it does not fit in and turn it upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Just so there is no confusion, I support the store owners right to run the business as he sees fit, just as I support your right to take business elsewhere if you don't like how the store is run.
    Agreed.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    The shop I frequent used to have a sign that said "Please keep loaded weapons holstered." It has no such sign now. The staff OCs there.

Once, I was OCing and went to a different shop. The sign on the door says "Carrying loaded weapons into this store may result in your arrest." I stood there until the attendant saw me and then turned and walked away.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Yes, no, maybe?
    Always, for me.

I will not shop in a store that requires me to disarm period - gun store or not.
    Ditto. There are plenty of alternatives. Those who value the right get my business.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I buy my guns at "The Gun Store" on East Tropicana, and I don't believe that it's posted. And, the employees are pretty cool, not like the people that you describe. The only gun store that I've gone to that's posted is American Shooters. Since I carry concealed, I really never pay attention to it. I just go in, and usually go to the range ans shoot. By the way, "The Gun Store" has probably the best prices that I've run across in the Vegas Valley,

I did an FFL pickup at VA Arms and was very impressed with the professionalism and attitude of everyone I dealt with there. That's pretty much the only place I go now, always a good experience..

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Damn, now that you mention it, I've seen some pretty 'goofy' people in gun stores...on both sides of the counter.
    True enough
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would not enter if they do not allow CC. Many of us take the view of no CC = no $. That should be double for a gun store.

That would be like a car dealer saying you can't park in the dealership to look at new cars, you have to park across the street at the other guys used car lot and walk over.

I should be a responsible enough gun owner to know that if I need to remove my firearm for whatever reason that I go outside and do that in a car, then return. I also fully understand that if I take a CC weapon out in a gun store, if the employees are worth their weight in salt, I will have several firearms brandished at me in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I buy my guns at "The Gun Store" on East Tropicana, and I don't believe that it's posted. And, the employees are pretty cool, not like the people that you describe. The only gun store that I've gone to that's posted is American Shooters. Since I carry concealed, I really never pay attention to it. I just go in, and usually go to the range ans shoot. By the way, "The Gun Store" has probably the best prices that I've run across in the Vegas Valley,
    i work right up the street from the gun store on trop. i used to go there often but stopped because of employee attitudes. i am never asked if i need help with anything. the store was dead, 8 of them behind the counter and they paid no mind to me. i just left.
    the only guy in the gun store i liked was jamie - he was cool, but he is not there most of the times i would stop by. i buy my ammo at discount on highland (where i got my ak). their prices are better, and you can OC there - its just in a super shady area.

i worked in retail and management for 5 years, so i am quite alert to customer service or the lack there of. there is none unless i am a tourist wanting to shoot a machine gun or i have cleavage popping out of my shirt or if i want to buy a tricked out AR. i should get the same service and respect no matter what i buy. also, being treated like i know nothing about guns, will just cause me to leave the store.

the worst offender for this is practical to tactical on blue diamond...

[/end rant]
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

There are a couple gun stores here in Panama City that I have been to VERY recently. One is Jay's Guns (which has a GREAT selection of firearms and an indoor shooting range), one is Morgan's Archery and Firearms (which is a small one person shop basically). Both stores have signs posted about not carrying loaded weapons.

However, the difference between the customer service between the 2 stores is night and day. When I walked into Jay's with my daughter the sales guy seemed bored and it seemed as if I had to drag information out him. When I walked into Morgan's a bit later, he was personable, friendly, freely offered his own observations on what was good, bad etc. This was even after I told him that I wasn't planning on purchasing anything until pay day next week.

Wanna guess which shop will be getting my business, irregardless of what sign may be posted?

I carry anywhere that it is legal to do so.

A posted sign, gun store or otherwise, has no legal standing here so I ignore it.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links