Carrying in a Gun Store - yes, no, maybe?

This is a discussion on Carrying in a Gun Store - yes, no, maybe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I brought this up in another forum...it's mostly an issue for Open Carriers, but an issue none-the-less. A few of the gun stores/ranges in town ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in a Gun Store - yes, no, maybe?

Carrying in a Gun Store - yes, no, maybe?

I brought this up in another forum...it's mostly an issue for Open Carriers, but an issue none-the-less.

A few of the gun stores/ranges in town here require a carrier to disarm before entering, some don't have signs and still want you to disarm if you walk in OCing. And then there are others where you can OC - if you look like a stable human being.

I will not shop in a store that requires me to disarm period - gun store or not. I take my business elsewhere. Out in the Vegas valley here, it seems that only stores (that i have come across) that require a person to disarm is a gun store. Ironic in my eyes. I would think a gun store is the last place i would expect to have to disarm.

Some would say for insurance/safety purposes...other would say they make you disarm because they don't want you to have the upper hand (like it's possible with 8 armed employees all around you). I have seen and read a few stories of idiots trying to rob gun stores (#2 on the dumbest things a person can do list), but it seems unlikely.

I personally hate almost all of the gun stores in the valley for a number of reasons, but if/when i do walk into a gun store (for ammo, etc.) i am concealing. i see no sign and no one asks me if i am carrying, so i don't say a word about it. but if they ask me to disarm, fuggeddaboudit...i am out the door.

For myself, i do not like to be told i cannot be armed when everyone else around me is. and honestly, some of the arrogant hot heads behind the counters concern more more then some hood rats i may see.

Basically, I want to know what others think and feel about this subject. Sorry if i am so opinionated here....
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

2. Remove Ads

Most gun stores in Ohio have signs that if you are cc'ing, the weapon has to remain in the holster, which I am fine with. If they said no carry I wouldn't shop there. With the kinds of people that show up in gun stores occassionally I like the remain in the holster rule.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Most gun stores in Ohio have signs that if you are cc'ing, the weapon has to remain in the holster, which I am fine with. If they said no carry I wouldn't shop there. With the kinds of people that show up in gun stores occassionally I like the remain in the holster rule.
    The rules are in many of the gun stores I've been to here in NC.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

We have a couple here in KY that don't wish for loaded guns to be in the store. Never been asked to leave one though. Also when I am in there I am CC. So probably don't notice.
    I would think the concern is that some one might decide to show what they are carrying and once that happens it is out of the holster and you have a loaded weapon with people around. Also some idiot may not hink about it being loaded sight it and pull the trigger. I know of one of the sons of a gun store who did exactly this. Thank god he was aiming at an empty cornor of the store. But needless to say there were about 10-15 people in the store at the time.

Good luck on finding somewhere local to shop.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    No problem anywhere I've been so far in CO. They've all had signs on the door saying guns entering the store must be unloaded and cased - except - CCW and law inforcement.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I always leave mine loaded, but I wouldn't take it out for any reason unless it needed to be used while I was in there.

Here in this area, the gun stores put them in for the insurance to be happy. However, most of the places offer CHL classes and make sure that the signs do not meet the requirement of the state to prevent CHL carriers from entering.

I think we all understand why they would want you not to carry... but this is toally speaking out of both sides of their mouth. "its OK for you to carry
    everywhere except my shop." Especially a gun shop!!!. I would postll a sign reading. CCW and LawEnforcemnt carry only. That would be a fair honest safety issue for them and we. In central Florida last week they in fact did rob a very well stocked gun store.

As I have said on forums before... I do what the State Law permits me to carry... not others opinion or wishes.. I will not be carrying on those opinions only on the State Law. If we go beyond this point... banks, restaurants, book stores, shopping centers, hositals, etc etc.. you will be taking your gun off and on more than would be safe... each time you touch that gun one way or another is a bit closer to that trigger... I did not consult that gun shop or others on me obtaining a permit... and they will not be there for me should I need my weapon either.

Now ask me about additional minimum hours of training for CCW and I would be first for more training mental and hands on...

In Texas, there's no legal difference between a gun store and any other store. We don't have open carry, so that's not an issue. Concealed is concealed. There's no reason to display your weapon unless you're bringing it in for repair or service, in which case you should clear it first anyway.

I'm not aware of any gun stores with the required 30.06 signs. Some, like Gander Mountain, have a sign that says all firearms must be unloaded and checked in when entering, but then have another sign which says it does not apply to concealed handgun licensees.

On the other hand, all the gun shows of which I'm aware do have the legal signs to prohibit concealed carry, and require that all firearms be unloaded and peace-bonded while at the show.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Every gun shop around here signs disarmament.

Signs mean NOTHING in Florida...

i was able to carry at the gun show here a few weeks back, but i had my magazine removed and my muzzle zip tied. I was more OK with it because everyone was treated the same and it was held in a city convention hall.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Some shops in my area used to not honor CCW holders, but after some guff they have changed their ways.

All of them, that I have visitied, now honor them but it MUST stay concealed.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    As I often say, we expect everyone to trust us, and permit carry except our own in gunstores, and gunshows.
    I don't buy insurance as an excuse. Walmart has the same insurance problem as a gunstore.

Regards,
    Jerry

Administrator
    having worked behind a gun counter, I fully understand why some would want it that way, be it right or wrong, there are a lot of goofs that frequent gun stores.
    "Just blame Sixto"

At Virginia Arms, Co. in Manassas, I heard the clerk tell a guy that walked in at the same time as me "you won't be needing that in here". Of course, the guy turned either unloaded or turned over his pistol...
    There are so many waivers to cover companies where injury is a risk, seems like statements like this should be backed with "Section 1: If you are armed, we will have you surrender your pistol, and protect you with our lives. In case of incident, we will pay your medical bills, give you a settlement that you believe is fair, and pay your family a sum of $5M in the event of your passing."

Eh?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links