Motorcycle Legal Storage Through Non Permissive Environments

This is a discussion on Motorcycle Legal Storage Through Non Permissive Environments within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wanting to obey the law and to do it in way that is easy for me while riding a bike. I don't like pulling off ...

Thread: Motorcycle Legal Storage Through Non Permissive Environments

Wanting to obey the law and to do it in way that is easy for me while riding a bike.

I don't like pulling off the road and dropping the mag and emptying the chamber before storing ammo separate than the gun (one locked in left saddlebag and one locked in right saddlebag). And then having to do the whole reloading scenario after getting into a locale where I am legal to carry. I always did not like this because I spend too much time on the side of the road fiddling with separating ammo from gun (which could draw attention to me).

Revolver is just as bad with having to reload the cylinder (even with speedloader/speed strips).

So, I am thinking about going revolver and moon-clips for the easy separation of gun and ammo. I have never had a revolver with moon-clips but it looks easy enough to reload/unload.

Thoughts on this solution both pro/con with regard to my criteria?

Can all revolvers be modified to use moon clips? Anything I should be wary about when using moon clips?
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 24th, 2008 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Thread title changed.

mods - please change the title. In retrospect the title does not convey my meaning. Something like "Motorcycle legal storage through Non Permissive Environments"

Thanks.

Easy reload

The S&W 625 uses moon clips to shoot the .45 ACP.
    The 610, although not as easily obtained, uses moon clips for the .40
    I shoot the 610 in IDPA and is a quick reload.
    Any revolver can be be modified to use moon clips, finding the right clips is the problem for .357/.38

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    The cylinder on revolvers that are made to use auto cartrides eg: 45 ACP, 9mm, 40 ACP are shorter where the back of the cylinder meets the frame in order to accomodate the extra space the moon clips take up. If you attempted to use moonclips with a 38, the cylinder would not close. Most of the revolvers mentioned are too large to carry. You would have to look for a used Smith 9mm, or Ruger sp 101 in 9mm.

I really don't think that you'd be gaining much in terms of speed and convenience.

Slap in mag rack slide and holster up. Faster than reloading a revolver. way faster.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by falkon View Post
    Slap in mag rack slide and holster up. Faster than reloading a revolver. way faster.
    Thanks for your response. Did you happen to read my original post?

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    I don't like pulling off the road and dropping the mag and emptying the chamber before storing ammo separate than the gun (one locked in left saddlebag and one locked in right saddlebag). And then having to do the whole reloading scenario after getting into a locale where I am legal to carry. I always did not like this because I spend too much time on the side of the road fiddling with separating ammo from gun (which could draw attention to me).
    I've sometimes used a cloth sack or thick plastic bag (not the grocery store kind) to drop my mag and empty the chamber. I haven't done it out in the open, like you'd have to when riding a bike, but I have done it inside a car and then walked around to the trunk with the bag in a crowded parking lot. Nobody's the wiser.

I read the original post and understand you're asking revolver questions. I'm just offering a discreet way to separate gun from ammo with a semi-auto.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Thanks for your response. Did you happen to read my original post?
    Yes.
    I was just saying that fooling around with moon clips and unloading/reloading a revolver was slower and more cumbersome than a magazine fed handgun. Just get a cloth bag and put it in your lap. Insert you gun and release the mag and rack the slide. You are now unloaded and can drop the bag in compartment one and the gun in compartment two. When it is time to rearm just "slap in the mag and rack the slide, then holster up."
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by falkon View Post
    Yes.
    I was just saying that fooling around with moon clips and unloading/reloading a revolver was slower and more cumbersome than a magazine fed handgun. Just get a cloth bag and put it in your lap. Insert you gun and release the mag and rack the slide. You are now unloaded and can drop the bag in compartment one and the gun in compartment two. When it is time to rearm just "slap in the mag and rack the slide, then holster up."
    Your solution does not deal with topping off the mag after chambering a round (which takes time). You also did not mention the unloading part, where mag has to be stripped, and the chambered round extracted.

With a moon clip, all the rounds come out of the cylinder as a unit. They also are inserted as a unit. Quickest unload and reload that I know of WHEN separating gun from ammo is required.

Maybe we are just talking past each other.

You also did not mention the unloading part, where mag has to be stripped, and the chambered round extracted.
    Hmmm...I've never stripped the mag when passing through non-permissive states. That definitely complicates reloading or unloading, but I nave never interpreted FOPA (18 U.S.C. Section 926A) as requiring that.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    Hmmm...I've never stripped the mag when passing through non-permissive states. That definitely complicates reloading or unloading, but I nave never interpreted FOPA (18 U.S.C. Section 926A) as requiring that.
    I never thought of that. Just assumed that ammo and gun had to be separate. Being in PA, most peaceable journeys would go through NJ, NY or MD --- all being sticky wickets. Going through Ohio would be no problem.

I'll have to do some more research on the 926A.

Thanks for the heads up.

I see no difference between a loaded magazine and a speed loader or moon clips.

Topping off the magazine...unless you are carrying a 1911 where you are now down to 8 rather than 9 shots, that could be a little nerving, but if you are running a high cap auto or carry a spare mag, I wouldn't stress on it.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Your solution does not deal with topping off the mag after chambering a round (which takes time). You also did not mention the unloading part, where mag has to be stripped, and the chambered round extracted.

With a moon clip, all the rounds come out of the cylinder as a unit. They also are inserted as a unit. Quickest unload and reload that I know of WHEN separating gun from ammo is required.

Maybe we are just talking past each other.

Looks to me like you have solved your own problem.

Links