Approached in parking lot...

This is a discussion on Approached in parking lot... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In recent months on two occasions I had 2 men in black SUV approached me in grocery store parking lot: "Hey man, want a surround ...

View Poll Results: Home theatre system was...

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • Probably stolen merchandise

222 88.45%
  • Probably just a way to gain access to my house

17 6.77%
  • nothing... you're being paranoid.

12 4.78%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Approached in parking lot...

In recent months on two occasions I had 2 men in black SUV approached me in grocery store parking lot:

"Hey man, want a surround sound system for your living room? We've got one cheap..."

Not sure why I didn't on the first occasion, but on the second I called the non-emergency police # and reported the incident. They seemed uninterested at first and then resassured me they would send someone over to look into things.

It seems to me that either:

1. They are unloading something stolen/illegal.
    2. Want to gain access to my home (2 of them, 1 of me) under the pretense of installing a home theatre system.

Am I paranoid, or being reasonable here? My friends think it was no big deal but I'm a little taken back by it all.

It's highly likely to be something shady. The police are often quite interested in license plate tags and descriptions from such encounters. BTDT, and in a couple instances it turned out to lead to folks who had a long history of burglaries.

As for the risk of such folks "interviewing" you as a possible mark, sure ... why not? Since you don't know them, you don't owe them anything other than your attention span in terms of maintaining your safety and security. Be pleasant, sure, but be circumspect, 'cause it could be anything.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Always beware of a deal that is just too good to be true. Usually its a lie.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by yemenmocha View Post
    In recent months on two occasions I had 2 men in black SUV approached me in grocery store parking lot:

"Hey man, want a surround sound system for your living room? We've got one cheap..."

Not sure why I didn't on the first occasion, but on the second I called the non-emergency police # and reported the incident. They seemed uninterested at first and then resassured me they would send someone over to look into things.

It seems to me that either:

1. They are unloading something stolen/illegal.
    2. Want to gain access to my home (2 of them, 1 of me) under the pretense of installing a home theatre system.

Am I paranoid, or being reasonable here? My friends think it was no big deal but I'm a little taken back by it all.
    "It just fell off the truck."
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I say IF they have it it is stolen, and they are probably trying to set you up to mug you or possibly follow you home to do the same. Being killed on the side is an option as well.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Funny you say that, because the same thing happened to me Friday past. I was waiting on my wife to get off work(I pick her up) and 2 men pulled along side my truck in the parking lot asking if I wanted an entertainment system for free!! The guy said something like" My boss had ordered one to many and we don't feel like driving back to the warehouse". Red flag....nothing in this world is free..especially an entertainment system, I kindly told the guy no thank you. he asked me again, this time I replied in a tone in which i would not be misunderstood" I said NO thank you...have a nice day". He gave me a dirty look and drove off....so i think you did the right thing and no your not paranoid
    The words can't and impossible are honey only to lips of losers. "Keith Matt(Me)"

Ruger KP95
    Glock 22/ PT145/ Pardner Pump Tactical/ Century AK-74

Well your friends are kind of right in that it was probably no big deal, unless... you a) invite them over to your house or b) continue to engage in conversation with them.

More than likely stolen merchandise.... but could also be a ploy to get you to bring them to your house, or.... and this is more sinister, but shall I say... "It puts the lotion on it's skin..."
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sounds like a variation on the old scam of selling stereo speakers out of the back of a van.

They claim the price is low because of overstocks, etc. May even allude to the merchandise is hot (if they peg you as a dishonest type.) The packaging looks like you are getting JBL, Sony, or some other big name brand. You get it home, open it up and find out it is low-quality junk counterfeit.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    N-O. I buy brand named things in a real store.

ANY person which I do not know approaching me in a parking lot, is an automatic heightened state of awareness.

Don't ask me how I know this but here's the scam.

They'll tell you any story that they think you'll believe. Anything from overstock, to their boss not wanting them to come back with merchandise. Well anyway, they'll either have a catalog showing the item or one open boxed item to show the goods. They'll sell you the unopened sealed boxes only. They will not let you open the boxes, using the excuse that they won't be able to sell the stuff if you decide that you didn't want after you opened it. You're definately not going to want it if you opened it because the new boxes are actually filled with BRICKS!!!

They go up to people who they think have money and doesn't know any better. They think they can judge by looking at what vehicle the person is driving. That's why you'll get approached with this scam at a car wash, gas station, or parking lot.

I usually respond with "still running that old scam huh?" Most of them leave with a smile on their face. One time the scammer responded "everyday man, everyday".

Anyone wanting to sell/give away anything from the back of a vehicle is shady in my book.
    "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
    - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by madmunky40 View Post
    Anyone wanting to sell/give away anything from the back of a vehicle is shady in my book.
    Whatever happened to free enterprise???
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

This is actually quite common. Its just a pyramid sales system (actually well developed across the country).

They are simply selling a very cheap system for an inflated price. They are not doing anything illegal, just immoral. Very similar to those who are selling magazine subscriptions to...well there are many lines.

The few times I have been approached (typically in a parking lot), I call the police and tell them that I think there is a white van breaking into cars and stealing stereos (a reasonable assumptions as they cruise a parking lot), or that I think they are selling stolen merchandise. The police won't get them for anything illegal, but at least they get run out of my community for a few weeks.

They are well trained to hit and move on. Not returning to the same lots for months.

We had a rash of robberies around here with people on parking lots selling cologne. They were walking up to people on the parking lot and asking them if they would be interested in purchasing designer cologne at a wholesale price. They would then ask you if you wanted to smell it. This is where they got you. If you said yes, what you smelled was ether and you woke up later on the parking lot without your wallet, jewelry and ride.

I had one of them approach me, before they got busted, but I gave them the usual "NOT INTERESTED" and walked off.

Chad

Violent crime happens every 22 seconds while police are only minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerReady View Post
    ...2 men pulled along side my truck in the parking lot asking if I wanted an entertainment system for free!! The guy said something like" My boss had ordered one to many and we don't feel like driving back to the warehouse".
    That happened to me about 10 years ago when I lived in CA. Beat up old green 70's van with 2 guys in it pulled up next to me not at a light, but as I was driving. The driver was yelling out the window about how the warehouse loaded an extra stereo system on the van by mistake and that it wasn't on the manifest. Said they'd sell it to me for cheap. He was a bit too happy...maybe hopped up on something because he was acting like a kid in a candy store. I told him no thanks and turned at the next intersection.

1 week later, same thing happened again. Same 2 guys and same beat up old green 70's van. He tried to run through the same pitch again. I just rolled up my window and got a few cars ahead of them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links