Fire Mission - Top story at MSNBC (Merged)

This is a discussion on Fire Mission - Top story at MSNBC (Merged) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Breaking News, Weather, Business, Health, Entertainment, Sports, Politics, Travel, Science, Technology, Local, US & World News - msnbc.com- MSNBC.com With the full story located here ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire Mission - Top story at MSNBC (Merged)

Breaking News, Weather, Business, Health, Entertainment, Sports, Politics, Travel, Science, Technology, Local, US & World News - msnbc.com- MSNBC.com
    With the full story located here Showdown over packing heat in national parks - Life - MSNBC.com

The link to vote Live Vote: Guns in national parks? - Life - MSNBC.com

In 40 years as a ranger, manager and superintendent of national parks from Alaska to North Carolina, Doug Morris says he never responded to a crime that would have been prevented had a visitor been carrying a concealed weapon. Nor did he hear complaints from gun owners about the rule requiring them to unload and lock away firearms while in national parks.

But Morris, who retired three years ago, says he did see cases where visitors shot wildlife or fired wildly into the night in crowded campgrounds. That’s why Morris and a majority of his fellow members of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees adamantly oppose a National Rifle Association-led effort to lift the decades-old ban on concealed weapons in the parks. “Nothing is broken about the existing rule,” he said.

But David Yates, a gun-rights activist from Alexandria, Va., says he believes the current rule tramples the Second Amendment rights of all law-abiding Americans to bear arms. Yates, who usually carries a handgun for self-defense where legally allowed, has given up visiting national parks as “a point of honor and principle.”

The story continues on the website
    Last edited by DMan; July 24th, 2008 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Added link for voting
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Administrator
    Nice, I'm going to go turn on MSNBC right now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

and don't forget to vote. Link to poll on first page.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

As of 7:45am EST:

What's your position on citizens carrying weapons in national parks?
    1690 responses

State laws should apply.
    18%

It should not be allowed.
    31%

Concealed weapons should be allowed in all national parks, regardless of state law.
    21%

Concealed weapons and "open carry" should be allowed in all national parks, regardless of state law.
    30%
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

What's your position on citizens carrying weapons in national parks? * 1839 responses

State laws should apply.
    18%

31%

Concealed weapons should be allowed in all national parks, regardless of state law.
    21%

Concealed weapons and "open carry" should be allowed in all national parks, regardless of state law.
    30%
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Bran dish
    1 : to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly
    2 : to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner
    And I thought a "Bran dish" was to lower cholesterol and improve regularity.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

The official they interviewed said 'never have I responded to a crime that could have been prevented if the individual had a weapon'

April 19, 1999 neither had the security at Columbine High School
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I voted CC and OC should be allowed:

State laws should apply.
    18%

35%

19%

29%

What they don't realize, or care about, is guns are already being carried there, by the BG!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

6109 votes: I voted for CC and Open Carry

18% State Laws should apply.

35% It should not be allowed.

19% Should be allowed in State Parks regardless of State Law.

29% Concealed and Open carry in all National Parks, regardless of State Law.

Clever construction on that poll.
    They had multiple attractive choices, an obvious ploy to split our vote, and allow the Antis only one category.
    The Antis all lined up in one column while we were scattered through multiple choices.
    Clever.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    Clever construction on that poll.
    They had multiple attractive choices, an obvious ploy to split our vote, and allow the Antis only one category.
    The Antis all lined up in one column while we were scattered through multiple choices.
    Clever.
    clever but anybody that looks at the results will see that only 1/3 of the votes are against some form of allowing guns. the other 2/3's are for allowing guns in one form or another.

Nor did he hear complaints from gun owners about the rule requiring them to unload and lock away firearms while in national parks.
    Nor would he, necessarily. Can't imagine he'd hear much grousing, as it's clear that a ranger can't do anything about it.

There are, of course, plenty of instances of people being threatened by two-legged predators in the wilderness, parks and camps. Many folks I know have such a story.

And, yes, it's obvious that a percentage of any group is going to have some bad apples who bring bad behaviors. Doesn't mean that the vast majority of the group can't benefit by the ability to defend themselves, nor that such self-defense ability is worthless because a few bad apples will abuse it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

While I'd like to see an overall relaxing of carry restrictions, I had to vote for "state laws should apply." Kind of with the same rationale as the campus-carry folks... why should the rules change just because you stepped into a park? Don't make a park a "you can carry here where otherwise you couldn't" zone, just allow those who are legal anyway to continue doing what they do.

Granted, some state laws should probably change too, but that seems outside the scope of this discussion.

in peace,
    faithmyeyes

Quote Originally Posted by faithmyeyes View Post
    While I'd like to see an overall relaxing of carry restrictions, I had to vote for "state laws should apply." Kind of with the same rationale as the campus-carry folks... why should the rules change just because you stepped into a park? Don't make a park a "you can carry here where otherwise you couldn't" zone, just allow those who are legal anyway to continue doing what they do.

Granted, some state laws should probably change too, but that seems outside the scope of this discussion.

in peace,
    faithmyeyes
    i think that would also be the easiest change to pass.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    remember that you are looking at a poll from a fairly extreme leftist rag of a media outlet, with a predominantly left leaning audience. They will distort the results any way they want to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links