Going to West Virginia

This is a discussion on Going to West Virginia within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to WV next weekend for the IDPA State Championship. I am from Ohio and I know we have reciprocity with that state ...

Thread: Going to West Virginia

Going to West Virginia

I am going to WV next weekend for the IDPA State Championship. I am from Ohio and I know we have reciprocity with that state so I am good to go in that area. But, I do not know much, read anything, about that state's firearm transportation laws. I also do not know about any peculiarities in regards to carrying my range bag into the hotel for the over night stay.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    WV is like the wild west. Avoid schools and courthouses and you will be OK. Open carry is legal as well.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

I am a life long resident of WV with the exception of a couple years in the great state of Texas. WV is very gun friendly. It is legal for non holders of cc permits to keep a loaded gun in their vehicle as long as it is not concealed. However since you are a cc holder you can travel or park as it may be, with a loaded weapon in plain view or secreted somehow.

I am unaware of any prohibition regarding taking weapons from your vehicle to your hotel room. I would of course, do this while they are inside something. A suitcase or range bag? Sounds great to me. BTW open carry is legal in WV with the exceptions of the cities of Dunbar and Charleston. Truth is, I've seen a fair amount of open carry in Charleston by men and women so I don't think you're going to be in much jeopardy should you decide to open carry anywhere in the state.

Side note: My wife and I were in Ohio last summer and took six handguns with us, in addition to the ones we each carry on our person, in case we happened upon a shooting range. It was a lot of work with four heavy gun cases but we always took everything into our motel room. Had lots of ammo too so we were very well armed.

Been here all my life. You will be Ok. Except for where Patrick Henry noted. schools, courthouses fed buildings etc...

Oh, and there are strange rules about accessible, loaded rifles in your vehicle during hunting season... but those probably won't apply to you.

Open Carry is legal, but not common. Just keep it concealed, and stay away from schools, courthouses, prisons, etc. and you're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    I am going to WV next weekend for the IDPA State Championship.
    If I wasn't working that weekend, I would have been working at MDRC during the match.

Links