Moving to a reciprocal state with your permit

This is a discussion on Moving to a reciprocal state with your permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On another forum this morning, a member posted about moving from NC to TX in which the person has a NC permit which is recognized ...

Thread: Moving to a reciprocal state with your permit

Moving to a reciprocal state with your permit

On another forum this morning, a member posted about moving from NC to TX in which the person has a NC permit which is recognized in TX. Now...........once a person has established permanent residence in their new state, just how long is the original (now out of state) permit good for? Or is it good at all? We all know that a new driver's license should top the list of things to do, and that a carry permit should go hand in hand with the person's DL (not looking for arguments here). I've never heard of 'grandfather' clauses pertaining to carry permits. Will some states allow an even trade with a processing fee? Can a person legally use their out of state (reciprocal) permit until it expires? Anyone have good, solid info on this subject? I'll be checking with my state police on this, but I'm sure different places have different laws and hence different interpretations of how things go. I'm sure some of our members who are permit instructors should know this for their respective states.

2. Remove Ads

Hard to say for sure it probably changes from state to state. When I moved from Florida to Georgia a few years ago, I went to the Probate Judges office to request a Georgia Firearms License. I was told to just wait until my Florida license was three months from expiration because Georgia honored the Florida license.
    It seemed strange to me but in Georgia, the Probate Judge makes the decisions and approves the licenses so I waited for a year and a half and then changed my license over to Georgia.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

According to Concealed Carry.net, both TX and NC issue some type of non-resident permit, and they recognize each other's non-resident permits.
    I would look further into it before doing it, but it seem like it would work.
    OMO, INAL

Stay armed...know individual state carry laws...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, in Iowa we have to notfiy the issuing department of a change of address. If we are moving out of his jurisdiction, the permit is invalidated at that point. I don't know how your state works, but I'd guess that it's similar.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    There is no blanket statement and it's different from state to state. For instance: it used to be legal in CO to carry with an out of state permit. This allowed residents of CO to mail off for a UT permit and carry while residing in CO. CO didn't like that so they changed the law to read that they will only honor permits issued by your "homestate".

So, for my dad who lives in MN. MN and CO have no reciprocity to date. I have a UT & CO permit. The UT permit allows me to carry in MN (MN recognizes UT permits regardless of residence.) However, my dad cannot obtain a UT permit and be legal in CO because UT isn't his homestate and they do not recognize his MN permit.

There are several states who operate this way. They are colored yellow on the map found on Handgunlaw.us
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I guess, stearing my comment more to your point Ramrod:

If someone lived in UT then CO would recognize their permit. Until they moved to CO. You would be required to obtain a CO permit to carry as a resident.

If same person lived in UT and moved to Indiana, I'd be 99% sure that they could continue to live in IN as a resident and be legal on a UT permit alone as long as UT had your current address.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

The rub comes if your new official state of residency requires that you must live there a certain specified period of time, say a minimum of six months, before even making application for your CCW.

Yeah----I pretty much assumed it would be different everywhere, but to establish residency in a certain state I believe it takes six months or so our state and federal governments see it that way.........whatever state you file your income taxes in would be my point. My state one can file as a part-year resident or full year resident accordingly. Establishing your legal state of residence involves several new responsibilities. I know all to well how the legal system likes to make things ever so vague in order to keep the up-to-date knowledge to their benefit.
    The rub comes if your new official state of residency requires that you must live there a certain specified period of time, say a minimum of six months, before even making application for your CCW.
    I would think non-matching driver's license and CC permit might cause a little rubbing action in certain instances. In these cases or the dilemmas discussed here, the national carry venue could only be a good thing in my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain38 View Post
    Great point. Could be a gray area that would get a guy in trouble and would apply in my same example I believe. To my recolection, CO would be one of the states with this "rub". You move and become a CO resident so your UT permit is not honored but aren't a resident long enough to get your CO permit. 6mo + another 2mo waiting period before it's issued.

Who is John Galt?

At one time I looked into moving back to Ohio from MI; IIRC, I had to be a resident for 30 days, had to take the Ohio class, and then apply for the license. My NRA cert from my MI CPL class I think was no good in OH because it has MI statutes referenced.

In Texas there is no length of residence required to get a CHL once you have a texas Drivers license your good as far as residency,one thing you can look at is texas will accept a florida chl if you are a texas resident which the only drawback is states that don't accept non resident chl when traveling
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Moving with permit

You are right to check with the state police in the new state. I would no advise checking with "several sources", stick with the agency that issues the permit for the state. It would be god idea to try to get the ruling in writing.

I spoke with the instructor of my NC CCH class just this evening about this very issue. I told him I have a PA resident permit but haven't carried in NC because I am officially now a resident of NC and no longer a resident of PA. He said that carrying here probably wouldn't fly with the PA permit. YMMV.

I ran into this same problem when I moved to KS from FL.

I could carry with my FL permit until the day I became a KS resident, then I had to "reside" in KS for 6 months to apply for a KS permit.

Really ridiculous. I told the Atty General's office what I thought of this. I said, "So youre telling me that yesterday I was legal to carry a firearm and today I'm not?" They said, "Yes, exactly."

I could have lived here for 6months as a FL resident and then declared residency and could apply, but I had to declare citizenship right away to get lower tuition rates, so I was stuck.

Some states, like Colorado, IIRC, have an exception to their "resident only reciprocity" for persons who move to that state and declare residency. So they will recognize the permit for the previous home state for 6 months or so while the person gets a permit for the new state.

You'd have to check to see what the deal is in the state they are moving to to find out for sure.

It can be a real mess. It was for me.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Each state is different. You need to know the law in both your old and new state.

In Nevada:
    NRS 202.3688 Circumstances in which holder of permit issued by another state may carry concealed firearm in this State; holder of permit issued by another state subject to same restrictions and requirements as holder of permit issued in this State.
    1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may carry a concealed firearm in this State in accordance with the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.
    2. A person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may not carry a concealed firearm in this State if the person:
    (a) Becomes a resident of this State; and
    (b) Has not been issued a permit from the sheriff of the county in which he resides within 60 days after becoming a resident of this State.
    3. A person who carries a concealed firearm pursuant to this section is subject to the same legal restrictions and requirements imposed upon a person who has been issued a permit by a sheriff in this State.
    (Added to NRS by 2007, 3150)
    [emphasis added]

NRS: CHAPTER 202 - CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY

Ken

Links