My neighborhood is getting scary.

This is a discussion on My neighborhood is getting scary. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other day I was walking my dog in a small public park near my house (I was carrying as always) and stumbled upon a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My neighborhood is getting scary.

My neighborhood is getting scary.

The other day I was walking my dog in a small public park near my house (I was carrying as always) and stumbled upon a group of young black males smoking weed on a bench. It was brazen, obvious, and out in the open. I could smell it from 20 feet away. I see them hanging out in the area all the time, and normally I don't pay any attention, except I'm annoyed when the kids around here litter all over the place when there is half a dozen garbage cans within 10 feet of these benches. But when you start to bring illegal drugs into my own neighborhood, and all the crap and shady people that are associated with that scene, then I start to fear for my safety and security. They all turned around to watch me as I walked by and I just acted normal and kept on walking. When I got home I called the police and reported the situation. They called back about 20 minutes later and left a voice mail, saying that they visited the area, saw the group of kids I had described to dispatch, but did not smell any odor or sign of illegal activity. I know for a fact that they had been in possession -- I saw it and smelled it. Unfortunately the officer did not leave his cell number for me to call him back directly.

Today, I'm walking home from work and notice a beer can sitting next to my house. I also noticed my dog had messed up all the blinds at the rear glass door, as if he had been agitated by something outside. He's never done that before. I just figured someone had came through my property and left trash here again (not the first time people have thrown trash into my yard). When I go to pick up the beer can to throw it away, I notice it's not open, and is still cold. It's dripping with condensation. Not only that, but there is a wad of cash sitting behind it, half-hidden.

For some bizarre unknown reason, someone stashed a cold beer and a crumpled wad of about $20 in cash on the side of my house. My first reaction was to call all of my friends and see if this was some kind of random joke, but none of them had a clue. I checked with my neighbors, and they didn't see anything. I never touched the beer or money, just left it where I found it. I hung around outside for about an hour or two, doing chores, sweeping the porch, etc, just to see if I would notice someone walking through the area again. Eventually, I left for about 10 minutes to go get some coffee. When I returned, the money and beer was gone. Either it was a strange coincidence that they happened to return when I was gone, or they had been watching me, probably from the small wooded area behind the house.

Who stashes cash and beer next to someone else's house? Why would there ever be a need to do something like that? I wish my dog could talk, I wonder if his presence at the back door averted a break-in. I'm just kind of weirded out by the whole thing. And considering the other events that have occurred recently, a little fearful for my neighborhood security situation.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I think I would have drank the beer and pocketed the cash.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    This was my first reaction as well. "Sweet! Free money!" But then it sunk in that whoever would do something like this is probably pretty shady, and I don't want to give them any more excuses to break into my house and help themselves to my things.

If they can get past my dog, that is.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    That is odd. This might be far fetched, but, is it possible that it could have been some sort of payment to some scumbag to rough you up or worse??

I have heard of people doing things for little to nothing for payment.

I'd be very wary for sure, whatever the reason it was there.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    That is odd. This might be far fetched, but, is it possible that it could have been some sort of payment to some scumbag to rough you up or worse??

I have heard of people doing things for little to nothing for payment.

I'd be very wary for sure, whatever the reason it was there.
    Who knows. I hope it's not something that sinister. And why would they leave it in (almost) plain sight to anyone walking between the houses? In any case, I will be on high alert for the next few days. Armed 24/7.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    +1. Or maybe I'd have left it in a nice big pile of doggy doo for the original owner to find. :)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Or maybe I'd have left it in a nice big pile of doggy doo for the original owner to find. :)
    Hahaha. I wish I had thought of that.

VIP Member
    On a more serious note I'd take a day or two off of work. If you have a shotgun I'd make sure that it was out and ready.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Might be time to invest in some video cameras, or try setting up a camcorder someplace hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    On a more serious note I'd take a day or two off of work. If you have a shotgun I'd make sure that it was out and ready.
    Taking a day off may be doable. I also keep the M4 ready to go, with 6 loaded 30-rnd mags, in addition to my daily carry piece.

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    Might be time to invest in some video cameras, or try setting up a camcorder someplace hidden.
    This is something I've experimented with before, after today I may have another go at it.

I completely forgot that I had taken a snapshot of the beer and money after I discovered it. Here it is, just how I found it. It was sitting just under a slight overhang from the chimney that extends out of the side of my house. The beer was just on the edge of the overhang, in plain sight to anyone walking (trespassing) through my property. There's a $10, a $5, and a couple of $1's.

I checked it a few minutes later after getting some coffee, and it had disappeared again.

Some adult made a beer run for one of the teens, who only has a $20.
    Left it, and the change, in the prearranged hiding spot.

Well, you know that after you called the cops on them in the park, surely they know it was you who did so. The beer and cash is probably a small token or payoff for you to stay out of their business, and to let you know they know where you live. The next move is yours. If you can't do anything about it immediately, then let sleeping dogs lie. In an open area such as a park, anyone can see law enforcement coming from a mile away and stash whatever they have negating probable cause. Like I've stated in other threads-----the police can't do a search on here-say alone, they have to witness things. Law enforcement is often times sort of crude in that matter, and instead of observing from a distance tactfully, they'll go in like gang-busters, in full view leaving the element of surprise flailing wildly on the ground. I think you'll have to go this one alone......keep your eyes opened and stay alert, and the camera system might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, you know that after you called the cops on them in the park, surely they know it was you who did so...
    What, Rifter was the only one walking in the park that day/evening?

It is a bit of a stretch. I would be leaning more towards the beer and money was an odd coincidence, and whoever put it there spooked the dog being that close to the house.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links