Packin' in my neighborhood

This is a discussion on Packin' in my neighborhood within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Things aren't the way they used to be. I remember growing up, my neighbors looked out for our house when we were away, look out ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Packin' in my neighborhood

Things aren't the way they used to be. I remember growing up, my neighbors looked out for our house when we were away, look out for us when we played outside. not in my neighborhood and not today. I am verbally friendly with one neighbor and i just know the others around me by face...never see them and they never want to interact. we had to introduce ourselves when we moved in...no one seems to care. it's as if they just look out for themselves...anyway!!!! when i go for walks (nightly) i am carrying...i can OC, but i choose not to.

I don't want anyone living around me to know what i have on me or in my house. There are a lot of shady characters in my "community"...some who i am in condition yellow when they are close to me. i also don't need trouble with cops...so close to my house. sadly, the punk kids that roam the street's don't always make for a peaceful time.

the other night i was walking when a group of teenage boys came around the bend. I am alone with my sissie dog so immediately went into condition orange. they were "homies" and i was not sure of their intentions. mind you, this is just a few blocks from my house. If they had ill intent, my size was probably the first que to stay away.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Can you walk during daylight hours. If so, that's what I'd be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    Can you walk during daylight hours. If so, that's what I'd be doing.
    summer-time...HOT... dogs paws will sizzle... wife won't join me ;-)
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

You didn't really ask a question so I will just leave a comment, Find a indoor large mall and walk in there, or get a tread mill. The first plan in avoiding danger is avoiding danger!!! Of course moving to a better neighborhood would be a great idea if possible. Good luck.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

there wasn't really a question persay.. my neighborhood isn't that bad...no worse then others i've lived in...it's just i am not as trusting of my neighbors.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    there wasn't really a question persay.. my neighborhood isn't that bad...no worse then others i've lived in...it's just i am not as trusting of my neighbors.
    Never trust anyone......those days are gone if they were ever actually there to start with. Folks pretty much stay to themselves nowadays....what sort of interactions with complete strangers are you looking for specifically? Last time I heard of a welcome wagon or committee was when I was still a kid and our family moved in to a new neighborhood of about 35 residents in the mid 70's. These days, the welcoming committees don't come to your door with a cake....they're on the streets waiting to initiate you into the community and the way things should be and the way they want things to go. Be a good student.

"Homies?"

762:
    Sorry for the thread drift, but I've been wondering about this for a long time with nobody to ask:

Can you tell me what a "homie" is?

Thanks,
    ...Skye...

We have a great neighborhood...looking back, we never really lived in a bad 'hood.
    No fears or concerns (no obvious ones) if walking...even at night. There are 6-7 LE vehicles in our sub of approximately 200 homes (one is a K-9).

Still, I am always armed...always!

Stay armed...always...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Skye View Post
    762:
    Sorry for the thread drift, but I've been wondering about this for a long time with nobody to ask:

Can you tell me what a "homie" is?

Thanks,
    ...Skye...
    Homie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Personally, I take it meaning gangstas or hoods. It shouldn't be derogatory, but it is in a way. One just needs to read the word in context so-to-speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Homie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Personally, I take it meaning gangstas or hoods. It shouldn't be derogatory, but it is in a way. One just needs to read the word in context so-to-speak.
    yeah, gangsta or hoodrats...i call 'em "homies"....
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I have been sensing the times are changing, had my LTC for 20yrs,CCed part time, last year it dawned on me it's not safe out there. It seams like more anger, violence and just lack of common courtesy especially on the roads. What is going on with society? Also tired of the laws protecting the BG's, I now carry my .40 everywhere & watch every thing. Glad I don't have neighbors to live by just woods & wildlife. I do know it's tiring to always be on the alert when out & about. My mind can't rest until laying in bed with the 12ga. CLING-ON

Don't forget how transient people here are. With the attrition rate of neighbors in Vegas being so incredibly high, don't expect too much friendliness. I agree, always stay aware and as safe as possible.
    Hk P2000, P30, P30L, Hk45C, USP Tac .45, USC, G36c
    Glock 19, 26, 38
    Sig P238, SP2022, P226 Blackwater Tacitcal,556
    Desert Eagle Mark I, Mossberg 500A, Benelli M4
    FN FS2000, Springfield SOCOM II
    Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun

It's a sign of the times we live in changing.

There are still places like that, neighborhoods where you know your neighbor and everyone watches out for the other, but it seems to me they are getting fewer and fewer.

My 'hood where I reside now is pretty good. A few of our neighbors keep to themselves, even got a house of drama-queen trouble-makers just down the street, but most are family's with kids (like mine) who play together, watch for each other's children and houses, alert each other of suspicious people or activities, etc. But area's close by are 'shady' and things have occured to re enforce the need to lock doors at night and not to leave the keys in our vehicles......commom sense stuff.

Mayberry is lost.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    We have a great neighborhood...looking back, we never really lived in a bad 'hood.
    No fears or concerns (no obvious ones) if walking...even at night. There are 6-7 LE vehicles in our sub of approximately 200 homes (one is a K-9).

Still, I am always armed...always!

Stay armed...always...stay safe!
    My neighbor is LEO and parks his marked squad car in his driveway at random times. We have keys for eachother houses. We also have a reciprocity agreement between us. If gunshots are heard next door, don't wait for an invite, come on over & get in some range time.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    If gunshots are heard next door, don't wait for an invite, come on over & get in some range time.
    Hk P2000, P30, P30L, Hk45C, USP Tac .45, USC, G36c
    Glock 19, 26, 38
    Sig P238, SP2022, P226 Blackwater Tacitcal,556
    Desert Eagle Mark I, Mossberg 500A, Benelli M4
    FN FS2000, Springfield SOCOM II
    Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links