Defensive Carry banner

Got a taser pulled on me last night.....

7K views 65 replies 51 participants last post by  Guns and more 
#1 ·
So I was walking to the local blockbuster last night with my friend at about 10
from far away we saw a guy coming towards us on the sidewalk
he didnt look threatening at all as he was well dressed walking a dog and about 40 or 50 so I didnt think much of him
but when we got within 10 or so feet of him his hand swept back his jacket and it looked like he was pulling a gun for second. I stopped in my tracks and looked at his hand to see it wasnt a gun but a taser or some other sort of stun gun type weapon. My eyes were drawn to a red light on it that was pretty bright. I gave the man some space and continued walking and so did he, but he kept the stun gun out until we had walked by. I looked over my shoulder to see him put it back in a holster. My friend is pretty big, about 6'3 240lbs and im 5'9 165, but we weren't acting threatening at all, wernt yelling, and didn't stand in front of his path or anything. Kind of weird....

#4 ·
Didnt check down, but i also forgot to mention, his weapon was yellow
so unless he decided to go with a bright yellow DuraCoat pistol, Im pretty sure it was a stun gun.

#15 ·
What a weird guy. Where did this happen?
Austin
Since the OP is in Washington (the State, not the District) it probably happened there.

#8 ·
This is a guy who just got himself a tazer or similar stun weapon and now feels like a big man. My friends and I have called this the "small man over-compensation syndrome" before. Same thing when you see a guy of smallish stature (5 foot 5 or so) driving the biggest stupidest looking pick up you have ever seen. They are overcompensating for their size....and it isn't always their height they are over compensating for either.

This fool will run into someone who is armed and get himself shot or just beaten to a bloody pulp. Maybe they is what he deserves acting like that.

#43 ·
My friends and I have called this the "small man over-compensation syndrome" before. Same thing when you see a guy of smallish stature (5 foot 5 or so) driving the biggest stupidest looking pick up you have ever seen. They are overcompensating for their size....and it isn't always their height they are over compensating for either.
the old "Napolean Syndrome" , see it alot since i'm 6'3"

#9 · (Edited)
Did you bother to call in the actions of this 'nut'?
I don't think that the police would take his actions lightly. If it looked like a gun...he could have some explaining to do...:icon_neutral:

Hope this guy doesn't decide to start CC a gun.

If this happened last night, it's not too late to make a report. Get this guy educated in the proper techniques of self-defense.

#10 ·
I would really not like seeing someone drawing whatever on me!
That would have gotten ugly fastt!
I would call the PD and make a report if you want to save the dude.

#11 ·
Agreed. That's a scary thing to think about. I don't care who it is.. if they point something at me like that and they aren't in uniform? Yes, call the police and save this man from himself. He will get himself killed doing stupid things like that.

#12 ·
Sounds to me that he was scared of you. Maybe he got jumped recently.

I don't think he meant to scare you, just to show you that he was able to defend himself if you decided to attack him.

I'm certainly not protecting him. If he is scared or something, just keep his hands on it in the pocket, no need to show it. If he meet the wrong crowd he could have been in REAL trouble.

But I don't think he was trying to be tough. I just think he was scared.

#13 ·
I had the same thought and see lots of posts from people carrying guns reflecting the same type of mentality especially if the people they are meeting are dressed a certain way. I will say that the fellow was overreacting but how many on here at least put their hand on or near their gun when meeting certain types of people on the street then when they get home immediately post about how they narrowly escaped being attacked by showing that they had a pistol.

#16 ·
This guy is very lucky. Props to you tho on good situational awareness and target identification. To me, if this man had been recently jumped or something he would have noticed you further away and got out of your way... Very strange to say the least... I'd def make a report.

#19 ·
I'd hate...HATE to be in that situation...cause...his taser would have been met with a 1911. I can hide behind the drive up rental return box for cover from his rounds...he can't say the same.
A taser is a weapon....couldn't he be charged with brandishing?
Does one need to be licensed to carry a taser in your area?

#24 ·
Honestly, not very smart. Aside from the obvious overreaction, if you're gonna draw something on two guys anyway, it'd better be enough to stop both "threats." A taser is not going to do the trick.

In any case, I don't think this was "big man" complex as much as it was "scared man" complex; and while I can certainly sympathize with the desire to preempt a threat, being a law-abiding citizen necessarily puts you in a disadvantaged situation against a threat (that is, you are obligated to react). He would have lost his license if it were a handgun, and pulling anything else in that circumstance moves from stupid to suicidal.

#26 ·
Wow.. has there been a rash of violence in the area? People get robbed, beaten or anything like that?

I'm going to vote on little man syndrome.. I have never brushed aside a cover garmet unless I was intending to use force. Let alone have a weapon drawn at my side. What would have happened had a cop been driving past and noticed that?

I think that guys needs some serious training.. or some sort of medication!

#39 ·
Wow.. has there been a rash of violence in the area? People get robbed, beaten or anything like that?
Nope. And for those asking, I live in Seattle,WA in a neighborhood with very very low crime. You can go walk around at night and not be in constant fear (apparently not everyone can do this :wink:). Also, from what it seemed like, he wasnt trying to act tough but was for some reason scared. As for calling the police, I wouldnt be able to give a good description. Maybe 5'10-6', gray haired, glasses is about it. My eyes went straight to the weapon after it was pulled.

Although Id assume he lives in the area as he was walking his dog. Who knows maybe Ill see him some other time.

I had the same thought and see lots of posts from people carrying guns reflecting the same type of mentality especially if the people they are meeting are dressed a certain way.
I dont know what would really count as "threatening attire" but just so everyone can get a clear picture, I was wearing a green polo shirt, khaki shorts (not sagging), vans sneakers, and a Seattle Mariners hat. My friend had on a black tee shirt and khaki shorts with nikes. Not exactly dressed like thugs or gangbangers or something...

#27 ·
Either way it's a bad decision on the dog walker's part.

If he had to use the taser, it would've maybe stunned one guy, and the other could've still shot him, or whooped his butt.

Tasers are not a group weapon! 1 shot, 1 person if your lucky.:twak:

#29 ·
I won't say its little man syndrome, more like overzealous-I-gotta-taser-so-I'll-show-everyone-not-to-mess-with-me syndrome

if he keeps it up, he'll be shot with a firearm by someone that doesn't take kindly to a disabling weapon being presented in a threatening manner or get he'll get whipped by someone when he misses with that one and only set of probes

not smart to do, If I see that you better believe he'll be staring at a .45 muzzle real quickly

#31 ·
Calling PD would be my first reaction once it was over. That guy will end up on a slab in the morgue if not seriously beat pulling a stunt like that.

#32 ·
Dum de Dum Dum DUMB!!!

Is a Taser a weapon which would put you in immediate fear for your life sufficient to justify using a real gun in response??

I bet there is little case law (or even real law) on this issue as I think making them available for the civilian market is relatively new.

I was hanging out with my son's future father in-law this afternoon. We went to Academy to look at a gun safe he was interested in, and I was surprised to see Tasers on sale there. My local store doesn't (hasn't) carried them. But there they were, right in the same cabinet with real pistolas.

I am really skeptical of the wisdom of having one for civilian self-defense.

I think they are great items for the police to use, especially when dealing with folks who are off their rocker, but not really thugs deserving of a .45. But, I just don't see a sensible reason for a civilian to have one. OTOH, I sure don't want the real BGs to be getting them, and then using them to subdue their victims.

With what I know now, my inclination would be to either outlaw civilian carry of these altogether or require a weapons license and background check. My inclination would be to add a Taser endorsement to a gun license (in states that don't issue concealed weapons licenses but Handgun Licenses, e.g. Texas)

#33 ·
I would not have drawn down on him if I could confirm for myself that it was a taser, but, if I didn't have enough light or enough training to know the difference, he may have been in a real difficult position. Being apprehensive and prepared to cofront a possible threat scenario is one thing, but drawing out a "weapon" without complete due cause is another matter altogether. This guy made the wrong choice.

After passing my first move would have been to call the local PD. If not for your case, but more for his. These actions could certainly get him killed by a "good guy". I'd be willing to bet he's one of those types who believes that his Taser will save his butt. He probably has no training, no plan, and no idea what he has gotten himself into. He should have gotten an "Unwelcome hello" from the local gendarmes to help put his ideology into perspective.

#34 ·
Our Sheriff's policy is anyone gets a hold of the deputies taser, it's an immediate deadly force response from the deputy...

If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. Some civilian otherwise points a taser at me... He'll may get shot if I don't have immediate access to hard cover.

I have a lot to process mentally, which is why I'm going for cover first, if available.

I don't want to be shooting a citizen who is merely afraid of my presence... but I am also a non menacing, non threatening individual so I have to be wondering what he is thinking.

If I feel by his demeanor, body language, appearance, he wants to possibly disable me with the taser before he robs me.... it's showtime!

#36 ·
What a chowder head... I would be tempted to relieve him of his toy to show him how ineffective he really is, but thats just me.

Everybody else is right, another scaredy cat is going to one up him one night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.