TN carry question

This is a discussion on TN carry question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know most of the TN laws pretty well but I have never gotten a definite answer on this one. Are Hospitals no carry zones ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TN carry question

TN carry question

I know most of the TN laws pretty well but I have never gotten a definite answer on this one.

Are Hospitals no carry zones in Tennessee. I have heard it both ways, yes and no.

So, does anyone know the answer or can anyone find the true answer for me. I am going to be at one tomorrow for a couple of tests and I am wondering if I can carry there or not.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Tennessee hospitals are free to carry unless posted. Hospitals are not in the Five Areas Off Limits.

Tennessee seems very clear on its no-go areas in my opinion. Carry to the Hospital, Memphis Mike.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I can't find anything in TN law that prohibits carrying a gun in a hospital. It looks like the ownership of a hospital may prohibit carrying a gun on the premises but notification of this must be placed in "prominent areas" including all likely entrances.

This is the same thing I have read and heard but I keep thinking they are no carry places for some reason.

Well, I'm carrying tomorrow at the hospital. I'll just check real well for any signs saying it isn't allowed.

Thanks guys.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I suppose if a hospital was posted before preemption, it would still be off-limits (or does that apply only to governmental entities)? That is the only thing I can think of.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Baptist Hospital has the signs correctly placed on the doors.... Have not seen them on other ones that I can remember.......So if they feel they have to have the signs, I would guess it is not a law....
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

If I were you I wouldn't carry if I were going to be anywhere near the radilogy area. Those MRI's have powerful magnets.

Well, I went to Methodist North Hospital for my carpel tunnel test. No signs and I carried. No one seemed to care that I had the Glock on. It was covered by a button up shirt that I left unbuttoned with a T-shirt underneath.

And guess what? I have carpel tunnel! Yay me! Yet another darn thing that has gone wrong with my body and according to the Doc, this is most likely caused by my weight lifting....figures right. I bust my butt to get in shape and this is what I get for it. Carpel tunnel......what could be next?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I bust my butt to get in shape and this is what I get for it. Carpel tunnel......what could be next?
    Old age and bad knees! You have been warned!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    Old age and bad knees! You have been warned!
    Doc, he already has the bad knees and he has the "old age" thing started.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Im not sure what part of Tennessee your in, but here in Cleveland, Chattanooga, Knoxville all hospitals are posted. Its sad to say but most of these hospitals are in the worst part of town, where you really need to be carrying 100% of the time.

what are the five areas of no carry in TN? TIA!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN600 View Post
    what are the five areas of no carry in TN? TIA!
    1. School
    2. Court
    3. Park/Civic Center
    4. Restaurant that serves ethanol
    5. Posted area.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

My wife faught that for several years beforing going ahead and getting the surgecy done. Just bite the bullet and get it done.....

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Well, I went to Methodist North Hospital for my carpel tunnel test. No signs and I carried. No one seemed to care that I had the Glock on. It was covered by a button up shirt that I left unbuttoned with a T-shirt underneath.

And guess what? I have carpel tunnel! Yay me! Yet another darn thing that has gone wrong with my body and according to the Doc, this is most likely caused by my weight lifting....figures right. I bust my butt to get in shape and this is what I get for it. Carpel tunnel......what could be next?

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by tngunner View Post
    Im not sure what part of Tennessee your in, but here in Cleveland, Chattanooga, Knoxville all hospitals are posted. Its sad to say but most of these hospitals are in the worst part of town, where you really need to be carrying 100% of the time.

He's outside Memphis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links