Exactly How Serious Should I Be???

This is a discussion on Exactly How Serious Should I Be??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In no way am I trying to be sarcastic, just curious. In gun magazines I read about guys carring 1-4 concealed weapons, a tacticle knife, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exactly How Serious Should I Be???

In no way am I trying to be sarcastic, just curious. In gun magazines I read about guys carring 1-4 concealed weapons, a tacticle knife, flashlight. On here I read about guys other than law enforcement carrying two weapons. I can see the point in having a summer weapon and a spring, fall, winter weapon. Yet, my questioning is in the state of Kentucky, I can't carry a gun into a hospital or school which are the two primary places i'm at when not at home. You can't carry a weapon into Walmart and in certain stores of the mall and other private places like book stores and what not. How serious should I be about a CC. I can carry a loaded or unloaded gun in my glove compartment in the state of Kentucky and really only want my CCW b/c it quickens the process of buying a gun b/c they by pass a lot of the call ins and what not if you have a CCW in KY and b/c its there if I want it. A lot of my friends say well what if your pumping gas and I walk up and say hey and pull a gun. Well if you have a gun on me, me going for my gun is probably only going to get me shot if your already standing on me. The other thing is if you cant smoke and pump gas, are you really going to shoot a gun at a gas pump? Like I said I'm not trying to be rude b/c I love guns and I love learning about them. In fact I belong to several forums and have subscriptions to shooting times, guns and ammo, American Handgunner and Combat Handguns. I'm just curious as to why those outside of law enforcement carry 10 guns and a knife and a flash flight and extra mags and pepper spray. Just an exaggeration, but please do tell.
    Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm
    Beretta 92FS 9mm
    Browning Buckmark 22LR
    Ruger Mark III Dexlue Competition Model 22LR.
    1911 Soon.

Distinguished Member
    My take----If you carry even 1 gun, you are ahead of about 97% of the general population, most of them are unarmed, and unaware. The situation at the gas pump-he has his gun out and aimed at you, well you are already behind the 8 ball. All situations are fluid, he may just rob you, but what if he wants you to get in your vehicle with him, now you have a tool that you can employ to help get you out of that situation. I would guess that anyone involved in a situation with a bad guy would wish for more than 2 pistols, but it seem that just having 1 gets most people out of the situation with their life.

It's not always easy, but find a CCW that you will carry, practice, know how to operate it, and be willing to use it. Carry where you can.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

If you leave your gun inacessible then you are already behind the 8 ball,There are only a few places I can't carry so i unholster and as soon as I'm back in car I reholster,As far as getting robbed,the BG may have the drop on you but they seem to get cocky and wave guns around and forget to keep them pointed at you the whole time like when picking up the wallet you dropped on the ground as soon as attention is on wallet and the gun isn't pointing at you he just made a grave error...well unless your gun is in the glove box.People get CHL licenses to protect themselves not just make it easier to buy guns.

As far as how serious about carrying should you be as serious as if your life depends on it,the world isn't becoming nicer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My wife has sometimes asked me why I own so many tools. She finally got the idea after seeing me use them for specific purposes. As a workman, I usually need the right tool if I'm going to do a task well and quickly.

Each of the carry items has its use, and none of the others will do that job quite so well. Some of us are better equipped than others. None of us intends to actually deploy the weapons, but we're ready in case we need to.

As you study, you'll gradually learn why you may need a flashlight, knife, BUG, etc.
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

This is just me........I don't carry a backup sidearm, although I see a place and a use for it. I have carried two sidearms before, and will again I'm sure, but I don't have good "mini" gun dedicated as a backup carry piece......yet. When I do purchase a smaller, backup sized firearm, it would only see limited use as a backup anyway.

Most of the time I have on my person at least one folder/tactical/tool knife, many times I carry two of these, they are tools for work as much as SD weapons. I also have at least one, and again sometimes two, flashlights. These are used in any lowlight situation I need to see. My carry lights are all high-lumenes output lights and serve a tactical purpose, but it dosn't go everywhere with me all the time. Then there's the spare mag.
    and the cell phone.

For me, a sidearm, phone, spare magizine, one light, and one knife.....along with the wallet, is about as much as I want to carry around with me when I'm off work, and often times one or two of those items are 'left behind' for whatever reason. It's a comfort and tactical feasiablity issue for me. Do I need it with me(?), then it goes. Do I want it with me(?), then it's probley optional.

If others carry more or less than I do I won't knock it. Now the obviously "tacti-cool mall-ninja loadout" will recieve my scrunity, and a giggle.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

If you have it and don't carry, it won't do you any good.
    Better to have one gun you carry than 10 in your closet...if the need arises.
    Also, it depends on your living arrangements, work, etc.
    A lot of variables but being safe in any and all is primary.
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
    Vladimir Lenin

I carry one revolver. I don't see much use for any additional ammunition. If the poop is that deep, I never should have let the situation get that bad and I don't think carrying extra ammo is going to help me.

Since I can remember, I have always carried some kind of knife. It comes in handy so many times as a tool, not necessarily a SD weapon.

Just my 2 one-hundreths of a dollar.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Riggs View Post
    You can't carry a weapon into Walmart and in certain stores of the mall and other private places like book stores and what not.
    That's not the law. The worst they can do is ask you to leave if they discover you're carrying and decide to do something about it. Concealed means Concealed...nobody should ever know.

Put it into your glove box, or get a center of mass safe for your car. Un-holster and put it in there when you're going somewhere where your state laws say you can't carry a gun.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. It's your life though, we all have to make our own personal decisions on what's important to us and what we really value...and what we're willing to do to preserve it.

Eventually it becomes second nature. It may seem cumbersome at first though. I understand you're feelings. You have to take the mindset that it could happen to you, not that it won't happen to you, and prepare as you see fit.

There are an awful lot of people out there who know that they will never be the victim of(or affected by) an assult, rape, robbery, murder, burglery, or kidnapping...that just increases the odds that it'll happen to me...as far as I'm concerned :)
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

I dunno. How serious do you think you should be? I've only gotten in a car wreck one time(and that was almost 10 years ago which resulted in no damage to either vehicle), but I still wear my seatbelt every time I get in the car.

You figure I've been in a car thousands of times and nothing bad has ever happened, so why should I worry about a seat belt or airbags or any of that stuff? I also drive very defensively and I pay attention to my surroundings, so I probably don't need insurance, right?

I think I'll keep the seat belts and the insurance, since when I am out on the road, it's not just my actions I have to account for, but every Tom, Dick, and Harry that is also out on the road.

Carrying is the same thing. The one time it might save your life makes up for the thousands of times when it wasn't needed.

Just my .02.
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; July 28th, 2008 at 02:03 PM.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    It is not illegal to carry in a hospital in Ky. If posted, it's tresspassing if asked to leave and you dont. Walmart is ok too, just keep it well concealed. I personally haven't seen any malls posted in Ky. I rarely see ANYWHERE in Ky that's posted.
    Personally I can't see much advantage to having a gun in the glove box unless you break down on the road, then take it out. As long as it's visible, it's legal in Ky without a permit.
    I carry 2 guns sometimes but not often. I understand why someone would do so. Cops have saved their lives many times by having a back up gun. A flashlight can keep you from having to pull your gun at all. If someone is approaching you and you feel uneasy about it, if you shine a real bright light in their eyes and say "stop", first they're blinded and second it's intimidating to have someone shine a flashlight in your eyes. You must identify your subject before shooting. I'd rather have a good flashlight on me than a knife or another gun anyday.

shooting times, guns and ammo, American Handgunner and Combat Handguns.
    Kind of like getting Playboy for the "serious articles." The tech stuff in the above is "ok," but not great because of the sponsor influence. The Tacticool advice is great for leaning over the counter in the gun shop, and not much else.

The best guidance you can find would be:
    1) an abnormal psych class at your local community. It helps if you know what deviants think and do.

2) read DeBecker, Korem, maybe Samenow, for the same reason.

Doing the above will better equip you to evaluate your personal risk assessment (PRA) and plan accordingly.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    It's a free country, be as serious as you wish.

A lot of my friends say well what if your pumping gas and I walk up and say hey and pull a gun.
    If someone threatens me with a weapon, they are contemplating killing me with it; nothing else is important about the situation.

The other thing is if you can't smoke and pump gas, are you really going to shoot a gun at a gas pump?
    Well, the bad guy is obviously considering it, but his intelligence is probably low. In your example, you could simply keep the pump between yourself and anyone approaching you, or remove the nozzle from your fill-up tube and spray him and his firearm. Either way, he might then get the idea that shooting would be suicide or at least MAD.

That is the first Wal-Mart I have heard of as being posted. It is not company policy.

I carry:
    1911 Strong side
    two spare mags
    P3AT weak hand side pocket
    Surefire 6P with the strike bezel
    pocket knives...clip on (like everyone else I see) Swiss Army knife
    I just added a Lima inspired small fixed blade as well.

Carry what makes YOU comfortable. Don't be put off because "it's too hard" or "I'm just going down the street" CARRY YOUR WEAPON. If you don't...you've made the decision to be a sheep for that day. Don't let what other people think you might do dictate your choice for self defense.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Administrator
    Well, if you carry a semi-automatic then you really should carry a spare magazine in case you have a magazine failure.

Concerning flashlight carry. I often carry a small one.

OC spray is something that I always add to my carry when I am walking my dog...for obvious reasons.

I carry a knife on my support side and if you are wondering why I do that then you probably don't need one because you probably would not be able to employ it effectively at this point in time.

The bottom line is that you should carry what you feel comfortable with carrying.

In short though you are the only person who knows how serious you are about your own personal self-defense.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links