Idea for a national law

Idea for a national law

This is a discussion on Idea for a national law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had an idea. It's a step down from a national CCL, and still allow states to issue their CCL's according to law. Instead of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Idea for a national law

I had an idea.

It's a step down from a national CCL, and still allow states to issue their CCL's according to law. Instead of having a national CCL where you get a federal license where you can carry in all 50 states, they should pass a law that says if you have a CCL in one state you can carry in any state regardless of that states issue status. Basically saying if I live in PA and I have my CCL here, this federal law would allow me to carry in MD or NJ even though they do not issue permits to their residents.

I'd like some thoughts on it. Drawbacks, good points?

Violation of State soverignty, since it would require States to accept (potentially) lower requirements than the State has enacted for it's citizens. Good try, though.

Bear in mind, New York, Cali and DC would all be happy with such a reg, as long as it was the "highest common denominator"...

Logically it makes sense, if I have a driver's license from one state, it is good in the other 49. Although generally driving laws are a bit more uniform than carry laws.

The main issue with your idea is the sovereignty of the states themselves, and where the federal government is allow to supersede that sovereignty with their own laws. It's all Constitutional, however, the Bill or Rights also says I get to carry a firearm for my defense, and some states don't allow for that which is obviously flawed.

I think really the 2nd just needs to be as universal as the 1st. Odd that the people who get so uptight upholding the 1st Amendment are the same ones usually trying to take away the 2nd.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    How about this.........if you DON"T want to carry........you must apply for a license stating you are NOT A CH person.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Violation of State soverignty, since it would require States to accept (potentially) lower requirements than the State has enacted for it's citizens. Good try, though.
    Driver's licenses come to mind. It is much much harder to get a CA license than a WA license but I get to drive in CA with my WA license...

Bear in mind, New York, Cali and DC would all be happy with such a reg, as long as it was the "highest common denominator"...
    NY and DC don't count since they're not part of the U.S. California is working on leaving too...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    NY and DC don't count since they're not part of the U.S.
    Hey, I resemble that remark!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    National Reciprocity has already been proposed. Essentially the proposed law said each state must recognize all state CCW licenses, but the local state's no-carry rules would apply.

Some make the argument that this is how things should already work through the Full Faith and Credit clause, which lets the feds set minimum standards for things like this. (Since there are no federal standards, all permits would be valid. If the feds set, say, a live fire training component as a standard, then states would not be required to honor permits issued by states with no live-fire test.)

Check out this link:
    * http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/20...nelson_nat.php
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    How about this.........if you DON"T want to carry........you must apply for a license stating you are NOT A CH person.
    I like that!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

BLC
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Driver's licenses come to mind. It is much much harder to get a CA license than a WA license but I get to drive in CA with my WA license...

NY and DC don't count since they're not part of the U.S. California is working on leaving too...

Trust me when I tell you Cali already is! Damn shame too...cant wait to get the hell outta here.
    ...Brian

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I would prefer to see laws repealed rather than new ones added. In fact, the writers of the first amendment should have a period after the fifth word.

VIP Member
    I don't think that state sovereign issues apply. Congress has already passed a law that requires states to recognize permits held by retired police officers under certain conditions. So, if they can do that, they can do it for ordinary CCL permits.

This is an important issue from a practical standpoint. For example, I need to travel to MN from Texas. Unfortunately, I'm only good to go through Arkansas and Missouri/ Iowa is a no. I haven't checked but suspect MN is also No.

A national carry law would make good sense provided that the permit's broader utility be tied to it being issued by the actual state of residence of the traveler.

Will this happen? Doubtful. Immediately after the next election, and regardless of who wins, Congress will need to deal with very pressing huge issues which necessarily will take priority.

If something can be screwed up, the Federal Government will find a way. Most of us generally want LESS federal regulations and interference. A national concealed carry law would be a mess of exceptions and conditions.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Honestly i want the " feds " away from my ccw . Now i think if they have any grunt to bear it should be treated just like a state drivers licence . but hey it only took them 40 years or so to get the " interstate compact " lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    As a libertarian I think we've got enough laws stomping our individual rights and I'd rather the government just stay out of my life... that said, the states not having automatic reciprocity is trampling my rights too... What's a guy to do?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    As a libertarian I think we've got enough laws stomping our individual rights and I'd rather the government just stay out of my life... that said, the states not having automatic reciprocity is trampling my rights too... What's a guy to do?
    Reconsider your libertarian stance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links