Need help so I can keep my guns!

This is a discussion on Need help so I can keep my guns! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Betty, Congrats on Wedding in Feb. I'm just speaking from what i see around me. If or when I get married, believe me that I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help so I can keep my guns!

Betty, Congrats on Wedding in Feb.
    I'm just speaking from what i see around me. If or when I get married, believe me that I will put everything I have(plus some more) into making the relationship work and/or keeping the fire burning. I'm just looking out for what I makes me happy(these are my hobby, and my hobby keeps me from being stressed). I try to always be a rational thinker and I can adapt to ANY environment.
    I won't miss out on the good the things in life, I love risk! This is sad to say but everyone I know in my age group that I know is married, I hear and see problems(know relationships are hard work, but what I'm seeing is real dumb stuff). All of them are looking towards divorce, All(that's extremely sad). So this is an issue for me!
    I know none of them are me or do/think/adjust/compromise like me. I know when I find the women that is good for me, I'm not letting her go without a fight!

Thank You Betty sharing your views and experience!
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

2. Remove Ads

It seems that Betty share a common viewpoint. I agree with every single thing she said. I guess it comes down to this: what's more important to you - your stuff, or getting married. Yea, that's simplistic, but hey - everything in life has risk. If you find the right other half (and that really IS what she is supposed to be, just as you are her other half), you'll actually take great joy from giving everything you are and have to her.

Great news, Betty. Best wishes to you and congratulations to the lucky fella.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Lead Moderator
    Bettert o risk being happy, than keep your material possesions. I have been thru a divorce , luckily she didin't want to get nasty with it. That said, if I were to find the right woman I might re marry. No pre nups for me. Finding the right gal seems to be the hardest part. Best to ask lawyers for legal advice.

Assistant Administrator
    One small caveat - re one's mistakes when it comes to divorce etc.

Despite the fact that divorce itself is no fun at all - as Betty points out very accurately - we all learn thru experience - it is in sense, gaining the positive out of a negative.

Most of all tho - let me say this - I would not go back and change anything - why? Not only did I learn but most important of all - my own kids thru that marriage would never have happened had things been different. These are two folks who are now married and with their own kids, and I hope they continue to find happiness without any break-ups. More than that - I have had some of the most precious times of my entire life, sharing time and events with them - they are my closest friends and allies - that has been worth more than I can say.

I am more blessed than many.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Depends on where you live.. If the "spouse or significant other" feels they're "living in fear" due to anything you may have expressed , said, or mentioned, you might get a Restraining order against you. With that in mind, the Local PD will run a check on you, and you'll probably get a visit from them, Depending on the circumstanses, they MIGHT take your weapons. Some partners are told up front by their Lawyer to make sure you're not a threat, and automatically try to get an order against you...Really S***s
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

DC Founder
    +1, Betty

During my divorce I decided I was not going to get married again. I had had enough and just wasn't going to go through that again. Then I met my current, the one person I was meant to be with and I changed my mind on the spot. You have to have some trust in the other person and marry for the right reasons. A prenuptial agreement is, as Betty said, a pretty good sign that marriage will fail. In hindsight I should have known my first marriage would not have lasted long term and I took no actions to protect my personal property. I lost everything, but came back stronger (and smarter) than ever....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1Man,

BigJon is right on the mark--it's worth a few bucks to know for sure. Check with a lawyer...in Texas the GENERALLY accepted rule is what's yours before marriage, remains yours.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon
    DAMN right! WHATEVER you do, don't get physical or do anything that could support a request on her part that the court enjoin you!
    Doesn't matter. Just about any woman could get one by telling a little white lie. Add the fact that her soon to be ex husband owns 13 firearms and at any given time has over 5000 rounds of ammo at home, and it doesnt look pretty...

To be perfectly honest, it scares the crap out of me. Especially since I seem to be a liberal magnet when it comes to the ladies. Most flipped out when they found out I own a gun. I try to get that out there by the second or third date, that way it doesnt turn into a problem in a serious relationship. Its easy to walk away from a girl I've only dated a few times.

I've met one girl in the past year that I could actually see myself having a relationship with. Bad idea at the time, considering she was a minor. At the moment, she's in basic (lostinthewood).

Considering my luck with ladies, I dont think I'm gonna have to worry about divorce anytime soon. To be perfectly honest, I've got to where I like the solitude.

Completely agree with Betty (and Chris, and Jon, etc), when you meet the right girl, "property" will be the last thing on your mind - that's as it should be.

My wife and I met later in life than most (I was 30, she was 35 ... older women! ). We lived together for a few months, found we didn't drive each other "terribly" nuts and I proposed - that was almost 10 years ago. We've had our ups and downs, some serious and some not but as Jon said, the causes were pretty much mutual. It takes serious commitment and lots of hard work at times but with the right person it's all worth it. Losing property "if" we should someday divorce doesn't even enter into the equation, and it shouldn't.

And BTW ... GOOD LUCK BETTY!!!
    Jack

Sure, if your soon to be ex files a restraining order against you. Some lawyers have their clients do that as a matter of standard operating procedure.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
    rule." - H.L. Mencken

I my case I saw the writing on the wall.

Without my wifes knowledge I had a friend that I sold them all to for fair market value. I gave him the money to buy them with and when the smoke had cleared I got the guns back.

In pre-divorce talks assests were covered. I was asked to list each rifle by SN and a value. I told them then that I no longer owned any firearms. The wife had obtained a list of my guns from one of my "shooting buddies" :chairshot that decided to involve himself in the proceedings. So be careful who you let know what you have.

My advice.. Don't get married get drunk instead. :1saufen:

Finding the right mate, that's always the hardest problem!
    That's my problem, I have a major dis-trust issue. I'm not going to say it's my problem(I'll say a concern, because my dis-trust issue has saved my life many times).
    I know what I how to handle disputes. I would never let a dispute between myself and my female companion get physical, ever. I respond/react off of other people's actions. If I even thought emotions would get even close(not me, her) to get physical, I'm out of there because things only get worse from that point. But what if I decide to be the smart person and remove myself from the dispute and she decides to get on the phone to the police(because she's upset, I've seen this many times with other people I know) and claim I hit her(which I would never do) and she want a restraining order put on me, now I'm in trouble for something that didn't even take place. Now I have to go to court and fight this restraining order(and I would have to check the box on gun permits that said "Have you ever had a restraining order filed against you?", even if it got thrown out court). My local ordnance don't require a police report for a restraining order to be filed against anyone!

It's been a while since I've been in a serious relationship. The women I wanted to marry changed(in a good way), and we had to seperate. I was not upset that we had to part from each other because I knew it was the best thing and I wanted her to be happy(with or without me). I don't wish bad things on anyone(I don't hate), but there are people(men & women) that want you to have a hard time because they are having a hard time(why put someone else in pain just because you are in pain)! I just parted from another female friend(just a friend) that I've known for 3 or more years because just because her attitude was like this.
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I lost all my guns during a divorce, the lawyer can call them community property and ask the court to make you sell them and split the proceeds. Normally unless your wife is evil they don't pull that crap. Mine had the guns in her house while I was staying with someone and sold them all, community property says the police, bummer says I.

BE CAREFUL and check the laws on community property in your state. (VA your sunk)
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Talking with a good attorney will be worthwhile. Ask about case law too because some lawyers will tell you about community law issues but many states recognize that items purchased before your marriage belong to you. Items purchased after your marriage are community property. I know this is the case in Arkansas and Georgia. But her attorney will make you think this is not the case and try to value everything in the split.

If you take the time to do it right then divorce is not an issue. You find a good woman, you love her, you marry her and then you continue to love her. Love by the way is not an emotion but rather it is action. Every morning when you wake you need to make the decision “I will love my wife today and be a faithful husband.” The very act of finding out what she can take in a divorce shows an attitude that will pretty much guarantee a divorce. It should be a word banned in every marriage. In that case no, she can't take your guns as they will belong to both of you as in our guns and there will be no divorce.
    In HIS Service
    Scott F

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links