Need help so I can keep my guns!

This is a discussion on Need help so I can keep my guns! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have stayed out of this disscussion until know because I really don't have experance with being married or divorced because I have seen many ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help so I can keep my guns!

I have stayed out of this disscussion until know because I really don't have experance with being married or divorced because I have seen many of my friends end up in divorce all bad, some very bad. Marrige is rarley a friendly seperation but I guess it has happend. So I have learned from their mistakes and stayed single so far and will contine to do so until the marrige laws in this country are changed.

The fact is in this country that all people who are married have a better then 50% chance of divorce, that is a fact. What is not a fact but rather more of an observation is another 25% plus of married couples are very unhappy in many area's of their relationship's and simply refuse to get a divorce due to having kids and or do not believe in divorce and would simply rather live and be unhappy together. Then if we are lucky maybe 20% of married couples in this country are happy and married the right person.

So if you ask me this is a very legitamite question about if someone will loose their gun's or worse everything they worked for! and checking out what you could face or loose is IMO a smart "business" move on your part because when in a nasty divorce it is all "business".

The marrige laws in this country are very unfair for men and are written for women and for their best interest. I can tell you many corupt stories of divorce of people I know and I am sure you can too that have ended up in the favor of the women wether the man wanted the divorce or not. The women can control when, if, how and why a divorce can and will happen!

Do you think for one second that if the women was well to do rather she own's her own business or inherited lot's of money from her family she would not seek legal advise before getting married as to what her right's are?

Ti.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 1man
    This thread is not really towards the CCW issue but an important issue(to me)!

Could a marriage a laywer(her laywer) be able to take my guns during a divorce? I'm not married(might do it one day might not) and I don't have any kids. Just doing a little reconnassaince before I(if I ever) throw myself to the wolf!
    Please give as many details, opinions, advice, experiences and/or actual court cases if possible!
    Depends on what state you're in. In Missouri, personal property each party held before the marrage generally stays the personal property of each.

I would not even fall in love with, let alone marry, a woman if I could even imagine that she would do something like get a restraining order just to mess with my 2A rights (if I had any) or my reputation. So, should I ever choose to marry, common or individual property probably won't be much of an issue.

But:

I think that if you believe you need a prenuptial agreement, you're already saying the marriage will fail.
    Isn't this kinda like saying that carrying a gun is looking for trouble?

We gunnies are careful folks. We like to play it safe. Sure, life is full of risks, and without them it would be less fun, but that doesn't mean you have to take all of them.

We are peaceful people who sincerely hope to get along with others. We spend our lives in condition yellow, instead of enjoying the blissful ignorance of condition white, to avoid trouble where we can. But when trouble comes our way, we want to be prepared.

Carrying a gun does not make us any less peaceful. So, does a prenuptial agreement make us less in love with our partner or work less hard on our relationship?

By the way: I'm a fence-sitter on this topic, so this post is just meant to express my random thoughts, not to make an argument.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Assistant Administrator
    So, does a prenuptial agreement make us less in love with our partner or work less hard on our relationship?
    No but - it suggests a lack of trust and IMO trust is perhaps the prime ingedient in a marital partnership. If trust is shakey then perhaps the union is on thin ice from get go.

Not arguing - just reflecting
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Today we live in a throw away society, paper plates and plastic service, disposable diapers, well you get the idea. Marriage has become disposable too. I plan to marry this woman but I do not open up and trust her because I am sure she is just out to get something just as I am out to get something. In our marriage there will be things that are mine and a few things that are hers. We will have separate checking accounts because she has no business knowing what I do with my money and besides, I want my money where she can’t get it if she leaves. This is not a marriage.

I married my wife 26 years ago. We were both suffering from disastrous first marriages. We determined to make a go of it together. I trust her, I love her. If something were to happen to our relationship my guns would not be my main concern. Guns are things, things can be replaced. A relationship is what is important.

If you feel you need a prenuptial agreement then STOP, DO NOT GET MARRIED! You are not ready, you are not trusting, and you are not planning on this marriage to be permanent. If guns are more important than relationship then please don’t screw up this ladies life by marring her.
    In HIS Service
    Scott F

I think I agree with several of the posts above. First off slow down if you are worried about issues of trust and what if's. Secondly your guns are no different from the rest of your property.

Just my two cents. But good luck, I hope things work out well for you.

A1C Lickey

A buddy I know has been married to his wife for like 23 years being high school sweet hearts and the whole thing, seemed to be perfect together! his wife started to have problems all of the sudden one day with being together/married the whole thing. They went to counceling to work it out and it seemed as if they did work out whatever problem's she was having, she told him everything would be cool, he "TRUSTED" her as he had always "TRUSTED" her! he kept the faith. That very same week he went out to Arizona for a 3 day business trip for work, everyday calling his wife to check on her and making sure she new that he loved her and he would be back in a few days to take her on a vacation to relax and regroup.

She let's him buy tickets to Hawaii for two weeks, all inclusive, pretty much went all out, she in the mean time is telling him how excited she was about going to Hawaii, bla, bla, bla. The entire time she was saying all these things and he was in Arizona! she was moving everything, I mean everthing that was in the house out, his, her's didn't matter, she took it all, drained the bank accounts leaving him with $.10 in the account! yes that's right ten cent's! and leaving the divorce papers on the kitchen counter for when he got home.

He "TRUSTED" his wife completely and she screwed him in everyway she could and it get's worse than what I have told you but I think you get the picture.

I can write one of these same type of stories on here everyday for a month that would tell you a prenup or atleast investegating your options is a must. If she loves you then it shouldn't be an issue, right?

Trusting someone is one thing, but being stupid doing it is another.

Ti.

I stand on my comments above. Things are just things. I have started all over; I had the clothes on my back and three hundred dollars. It is just stuff. People are what is important.

If you feel you need a prenuptial agreement then STOP, DO NOT GET MARRIED! You are not ready, you are not trusting, and you are not planning on this marriage to be permanent. If guns are more important than relationship then please don’t screw up this ladies life by marring her.
    In HIS Service
    Scott F

VIP Member
    Hi Ibex,

Sorry for the delay in replying - we now have two Thanksgiving dinners to go to. Any more turkey and I'll explode.

You really can't compare a prenup to carrying a gun or a fire extinguisher.

A marriage is an equal partnership. What's mine will be my fiancée's, and what's his will be mine, when we say I Do and agree to be with each other until Death Do Us Part. We take that very seriously. We're not going into this with, "we're going to have a life together and everything will be ours but here, sign this piece of paper so I can say this and this and this is mine." Trust is a huge issue in a marriage. You have to have it completely, or little things will eat away until it turns into big things and the marriage will fail. If you are unable to trust the other person, unable to take the vows of marriage seriously and feel like you need a prenup, you shouldn't get married.

There's also a saying, "you've made your bed, now lie in it."
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

The biggest thing in a relationship is TRUST. And if you do what some others have suggested here and get a prenup then stay the life of being a bachelor and have fun with it! By even "investigating" into getting a prenup is already saying that you plan for this relationship to fail and your going to dang well have what's yours so she can't have it.

For me getting married means giving my life to the one I love, (I love you Betty!), and sharing every aspect of it that I can. I could care less about my possessions as long as I am with the one I love there is little else that I need in life.

You could say that getting married is taking a risk, which is something that many of us try not to do but what would life be without risk? Why not take the chance to love this person the best you can for as long as you can, and if things don't work out what have you lost??? material possessions......it is absolutely ridiculous to live your life without taking the chance of loving someone only to think that negative things can come from your relationship. And what message do you think your sending her by getting her to sign the prenup? (Like others have said before) Well sweetie, I love you but why don't you sign this....just in case things don't work out so I can have my guns and you can take the pots and pans.

Take the risk when the opportunity arises and love her with every breath in your body!

VIP Member
    ... he says, as he types away on MY computer!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    ... he says, as he types away on MY computer!
    ok....no 30" computer screen for Christmas now.......HA HA HA

Well said. You two have an excellent chance of being happily married 40 or more years from now.

My gun is our gun. My everything is her everything.

If you want Bible references I have them ready.
    In HIS Service
    Scott F

No really I am happy for you both, but it seems very rare these day's.

Mine is her's and her's is her's.

Ti.

Just marry a felon and you should be good to go.
    Patrick

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links