Walmart

This is a discussion on Walmart within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I just got off the phone with our store manager at the local walmart and he informed me that Walmart doesn't have to post ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Walmart

Walmart

Well I just got off the phone with our store manager at the local walmart and he informed me that Walmart doesn't have to post a sign, they are a private corporation and that is their policy. I also found this online.

This is from a man who was confronted by a manager and asked to leave the store. He was asked to leave and over the two way radio another manager said go ahead and contact the police. The man took this as his cue and left. However, he did contact walmart corporate and posted these two documents that I have attached. I guess in theory if its not showing, you can get away with it. Yet, if your going to be responsible and an upholding citizen who carries his CCW as a privelage then you may want to read this.
    Attached Images
    Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm
    Beretta 92FS 9mm
    Browning Buckmark 22LR
    Ruger Mark III Dexlue Competition Model 22LR.
    1911 Soon.

2. Remove Ads

That may be the case in your state - certainly not in every state.

A store can refuse service for any reason. But claiming that "store policy" is equivalent to law is clearly not correct.

If you notice the letter states that the individual was open carrying a weapon not concealing it and even tho many people feel that open carry is a right the sight of any non LEO carrying alarms some people,If they don't see it they ain't gonna say anything
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The letter might have stated that, but he said in the forum it was concealed and when shopping the manager noticed a print. Personally, I think its BS. We should be able to defend ourselves at anytime in our state if we have our CC. For example, when i'm in class I often think of an individual pulling a gun and shooting. I know if I wanted to, I could probably put 30 people out of a minute or two. Yet, i'm not allowed to carry a gun in college. Its an awkward situation. Like the manager at Walmart claimed that they are a corporation and just because they serve the public doesn't make it a public place, its still private property. She also offered me the corporate number.
    Beretta 92FS 9mm
    Browning Buckmark 22LR
    1911 Soon.

Like the manager at Walmart claimed that they are a corporation and just because they serve the public doesn't make it a public place, its still private property.
    And the manager is exactly right. In most states, the definition is "private property with public access". That means that while they are private property and can control most things on their property, they cannot refuse to serve you because of race, color, creed, sex, etc.

They are somewhat incorrect in that they don't have to post signs. I can't speak for every state but in Kansas, and I'm sure several others, if they don't have the gun-buster sign up, and I have a CCH license, I break no law by simply carrying into their store. At any time though, they can ask me to leave (presumably they've detected my firearm and I'm not just being a butthead) and should I refuse to leave then I am guilty of trespassing and they can call police and I could be arrested.

It boils down to this -- if you're carrying (and they aren't posted), keep it concealed. If you don't or won't keep it concealed, your only option is to speak with your dollars and go somewhere else. As much as I may not understand their rationale for limiting CCH holders, it is their right.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Thats pretty mcuh what aI think too Hoss
    Beretta 92FS 9mm
    Browning Buckmark 22LR
    1911 Soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    And the manager is exactly right. In most states, the definition is "private property with public access". That means that while they are private property and can control most things on their property, they cannot refuse to serve you because of race, color, creed, sex, etc.

They are somewhat incorrect in that they don't have to post signs. I can't speak for every state but in Kansas, and I'm sure several others, if they don't have the gun-buster sign up, and I have a CCH license, I break no law by simply carrying into their store. At any time though, they can ask me to leave (presumably they've detected my firearm and I'm not just being a butthead) and should I refuse to leave then I am guilty of trespassing and they can call police and I could be arrested.

It boils down to this -- if you're carrying (and they aren't posted), keep it concealed. If you don't or won't keep it concealed, your only option is to speak with your dollars and go somewhere else. As much as I may not understand their rationale for limiting CCH holders, it is their right.

Hoss
    +1

He asked him to leave, he complied. If he hadn't he'd be trespassing. Being open to the public doesn't eliminate their ability to revoke permission to be there without notice and for any cause not prohibited by law.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Yep, private property. Not your right to bring a gun onto their property, any more than it's your right to bring a gun into your neighbor's home. Again, though, since you are legally carrying, unless and until they ask you to leave, you're perfectly free to carry.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Well, I know in Tennessee the law does state that if a retail establishment wants to ban carry, concealed or open, in their property, they do have to post a sign.

And I have never had a problem with Walmart. I have carried concealed at nearly all of them in the Memphis Metro area and openly at a couple, most notably the one on Highway 64 in Bartlett.

Never had a problem at all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I still hate it though, kind of puts a stop on the point of having a gun to protect myself in public if I can't have it on me in public. Walmart is an ideal place for a nut to come in and do something rash.
    Beretta 92FS 9mm
    Browning Buckmark 22LR
    1911 Soon.

Hmm

Anyone want to start a religion?

The person's that join must be legal to carry.

Then claim it as they are refusing service becasue of religious beleif's.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I firmly support the right of a company like Walmart to refuse to allow guns on their property. I also firmly support my right not to shop somewhere that doesn't allow me to carry. That said, I have carried concealed in Walmart many times. Since it's concealed, there's no reason for the manager to hassle me!

This is a very foolish stance on Walmart's behalf. How are we suppose to know it is against company policy if it isn't posted??? Sounds like they have a manager who is anyi gun and goes around hunting sidearms!! You need to go to my thread about No CCW no $$$$ cards and order some and start sending them to every store that has one of those stupid signs!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member
    Most of this BS could be avoided if-if you just carry concealed, and DO NOT PRINT. If you do your job properly, you will not have problems. With 100's of gun option available today, it should not be a problem.

Any time you "stick" something in their face, they will probably bite your nose off. Most corp. are anti, so give them NO reason to even think about guns.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

We humans have the ability to adapt. We adapt by making changes in our lives. I for one will change where I shop..it isn't that hard. I can not wait long enough for one of our own (A DC member or any other CCW'r) to be harmed on Wal-Mart property because he/she played by their rules and left their element of protection in the car. I truely hope that the poor victim will pursue a MAJOR law suit because Wal-Mart took on the responsibilty for their safety.
    "Brains before Bullets"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links