I had to draw last night… Against a couple of dogs!

This is a discussion on I had to draw last night… Against a couple of dogs! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night (well actually this morning about 3 AM) my wife and went for our nightly walk (we usually walk in the wee hours of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I had to draw last night… Against a couple of dogs!

I had to draw last night… Against a couple of dogs!

Last night (well actually this morning about 3 AM) my wife and went for our nightly walk (we usually walk in the wee hours of the morning because of her work schedule). As we were starting down the first cross street we heard dogs barking and saw two dogs, a Rottweiler and a mongrel of about the same size, come running out of a backyard at us. The Rottweiler came straight at us while the mongrel circled around to flank us.

Before my wife could quite comprehend I had the Glock 19 out and aimed at the Rottweiler and I screamed “STAY BACK” at the dogs (I knew the words would not mean anything to the dogs but I was hoping the command would stop them). The Rottweiler broke off his advance so I turned my attention to the mongrel who was now trying to be sneaky. Both dogs were about 25 feet away from us at about 90 degree angles. As the mongrel was still advancing I made a foot stomp and swung my gun at him, this broke his attack and both dogs took off running back into the yard they had come out of. We continued on with our walk keeping a watch behind us for a while but the dogs made no effort to follow.

It took every bit of self control I had to keep from shooting the mongrel because of a personal vendetta I have against him for killing my cat a few months ago. If I ever get a shot at him in the woods behind our house he will “disappear” but for now he still draws breath. We have had Animal Control out for this dog on at least two occasions (once we had this dog trapped in a fenced yard) but Animal Control here doesn’t even seem to be able to catch a cold!

I made two observations during this encounter, first was what I have always known I am completely cool under pressure and second I maintained trigger finger control and never touched the trigger (even when I wanted to shoot but knew better). I guess there was one other thing I noticed also, my wife took my commands to get behind me and make no fast moves without question.
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good team work with the Wife. It don't matter who calls the shots when you both are safe in the end. It was probley best you did not shoot in the street or the Cop's would be on their way for you.

There was an article similar to this in combat handguns and it had to do with a fox instead of dogs. Just goes to show the predator doesnt always have to be human. Glad you and the wife came out in one piece.
    Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm
    Beretta 92FS 9mm
    Browning Buckmark 22LR
    Ruger Mark III Dexlue Competition Model 22LR.
    1911 Soon.

Don't ever over estimate what dogs can do, especially when they go back to pack instincts. My son and I have been hired by some local ranchers to eliminate a pack of wild dogs. There is aprox 10-12 of them, they have killed 3 calfes in the last month and they have literally chewed the ears off half a dozen cows. You wouldn't believe it unless you saw it. It is only a matter of time before they turn on a youg'in so hoprfully we can find them before this happens. They are traveling through a square mile to mile and a half area so it won't be easy. The coyotes are also on our list as they are always fair game!! t it is the dogs that are doing the damage right now. Glad you are okay.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

On our walks, I worry about dogs more than people and do carry pepper spray which can work well on dogs. Another good option is a collapsible antenna or big umbrella to give a wack to a dog while keeping your distance.

Good job on your encounter.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member
    I have also had to draw down on a dog. It seems either they have an idea of whats going on, or your confidence/voice commands change when your weapon is deployed. We just had a 1 1/2 year old girl in Omaha get a large piece of her scalp get tore off and 1 or 2 other adults injured in the attack.

I'm not sure why some think if you have to shoot a animal that is a serious threat, that the police will come and get you. I for one, am going home with-out a dog bite if out walking, and a unleashed animal is off his property and on the prowl.

Ever think about changing your walking route, and have your wife carry OC spray, so she could use a quiet, non deadly weapon, and you would be free to use your "tool" if needed.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Just a question...

If the dogs were 25 feet away, and your movements and loud voice broke off their charge...why pull a sidearm? A large walking stick would keep neighbors from calling in a man with a gun...OMO

Stay armed...be wise...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Just a question...

If the dogs were 25 feet away, and your movements and loud voice broke off their charge...why pull a sidearm? A large walking stick would keep neighbors from calling in a man with a gun...OMO

Stay armed...be wise...stay safe!
    My opinion as well. In fact, it has worked for me on several occasions.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Kudos on the finger control...something that under stress, one may lose sight of...

As for the stick or gun...I can see it either way...you were defending yourself and wife.

Rick

Friend of mine has an uncle that drew on a dog. He was walking his dog & another dog came out of no where & attacked his dog while on leash. He drew on the dog & a man came runing up screaming "don't shoot my dog". The man pulled his dog away. The uncle very pissed at this point heads home to ck his dog out. Three hours later, cops show up & arrest him. The other dog owner was a cop.

He just went to court & has lost his permit & weapn for now. He would have been fine had he called to law first.

DO NOT forget to call 911 after you show your weapon. It could save a whole lotta trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Dog View Post
    Friend of mine has an uncle that drew on a dog. He was walking his dog & another dog came out of no where & attacked his dog while on leash. He drew on the dog & a man came runing up screaming "don't shoot my dog". The man pulled his dog away. The uncle very pissed at this point heads home to ck his dog out. Three hours later, cops show up & arrest him. The other dog owner was a cop.

He just went to court & has lost his permit & weapn for now. He would have been fine had he called to law first.

DO NOT forget to call 911 after you show your weapon. It could save a whole lotta trouble.
    and the owner of the dog that called him in didn't even get a slap on the wrist for his dog being off lease and roaming free i bet.

if the dog had run out an attacked a small child instead of another dog then it would have been put down even if the guy didn't shoot it.

however, i wouldn't recommend drawing on a dog unless you don't think you can stop it by other means

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    +1! ALWAYS call after you draw! Glad you and your wife are OK.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I am sorry but this is a bunch of crap!!! The Uncle should fight this all the way. This dog came out and attacked his dog and he ends up in trouble. I say fight this one all the way.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DarinD View Post
    I am sorry but this is a bunch of crap!!! The Uncle should fight this all the way. This dog came out and attacked his dog and he ends up in trouble. I say fight this one all the way.
    A lot has to be said for perception and your local laws.
    "Just blame Sixto"

+1 on getting the stick. Dogs don't know what a gun is, it could be a chew toy for all they know, so waving it at them may not do much good.

BTW, pellet guns are very good for dogs that are left out regularly. A few well places shots with some power behind them from a pellet gun will quickly teach a dog that they need to go home every time they see you. A long time ago, there were two that if out and I came home, just seeing my car enter the neighborhood would send them back to their own porch very quickly.

I am not one for shooting dogs regularly, but it is less hassel than shooting the pellet gun at the owner, and it appears that his owner does not adhere to the local law, and the animal control isn't doing their job either, so the dog ends up getting some additional training. No one is really any worse for it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links