Transporting Ammo in Checked Baggage

This is a discussion on Transporting Ammo in Checked Baggage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you guys just pack your ammo in the box it is sold in and put that in your checked baggage?...

Thread: Transporting Ammo in Checked Baggage

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Do you guys just pack your ammo in the box it is sold in and put that in your checked baggage?

JD
    Administrator
    Yes.

TSA regs.

Ammunition - Check with your airline or travel agent to see if ammunition is permitted in checked baggage on the airline you are flying. If ammunition is permitted, it must be declared to the airline at check-in. Small arms ammunitions for personal use must be securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ask about limitations or fees, if any, that apply. Read our Firearms & Ammunition section.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I've only had one problem, one time, and that was with a Northwest Ticket Agent out of DIA who tried to tell me I couldn't have it in the same bag as the checked firearm. Make sure you know the rules on the airline you are flying because often times the ticket agents aren't really sure of the rules themselves.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I fly multiple times every week and bring 4 loaded 1911 mags in a MOLLE carrier. Sometimes I bring my J-frame and then I use an ammo wallet and loaded speedloaders. I've only had 1 issue in 3+ years of traveling and got an apology from Continental airlines on that one.

The only key with loaded mags is that they have to be in a secure carrier - a mag pouch with a flap is a secure carrier.

I did have to wait 30 minutes at LAX for USairways a couple months ago while they looked up the regs - but they now know that loaded mags are OK

Last week I saw another way of transporting ammo. They guy next to me was going fishing up in Alaska and was transporting his Ruger Super Redhawk in .44mag with him. He had a box of ammo in the same case as the pistol. Since the ammo was in a separate box from the pistol it was legal. The TSA guy in Houston said that as lokg as the ammo is in a separate container it can be in the same box/bag as the firearm.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by franktait View Post

Last week I saw another way of transporting ammo. They guy next to me was going fishing up in Alaska and was transporting his Ruger Super Redhawk in .44mag with him. He had a box of ammo in the same case as the pistol. Since the ammo was in a separate box from the pistol it was legal. The TSA guy in Houston said that as lokg as the ammo is in a separate container it can be in the same box/bag as the firearm.
    That is correct, the second link I provided above states the following:

# You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
    # You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.

Why do they conspicuously leave out plastic boxes? Is there some concern over static or something? Seems like those plastic boxes used for reloads would be ideal.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Why do they conspicuously leave out plastic boxes? Is there some concern over static or something? Seems like those plastic boxes used for reloads would be ideal.
    or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. That part of reg's cover the plastic boxes. {specifically designed to carry small amounts} is the key words in this part of the reg's

Links