Vacation at Colonial Williamsburg, VA

This is a discussion on Vacation at Colonial Williamsburg, VA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is CC allowed in Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement, and Yorktown? My wife and I are going to Colonial Williamsburg for a few days and I was ...

Thread: Vacation at Colonial Williamsburg, VA

Is CC allowed in Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement, and Yorktown? My wife and I are going to Colonial Williamsburg for a few days and I was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of with CC in this area. Hotel is in Williamsburg, Va but not in the park. We will also make the trip to Jamestown and Yorktown if there are any differences in CC laws with those areas.

I also take any advice on what to do and/or avoid while in the area.

VIP Member
    Last time I was there I did not see any signs not allowing conceal carry. It has been a couple of years though. If you decide to go to Bush Gardens as well as Water World I believe they are posted.
    If you go out to eat where alcohol is served CC is prohibited by state law, you will not see a posting for it. Open carry is legal in locations that serve alcoholic beverages. Stupid rule, but it's the law thanks to our governor.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I carried at Jamestown no problem at all. Most amusement parks check baggage nowadays, at least they were at Carowinds in Charlotte last week.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Carry of any kind is okay at Colonial Williamsburg. Like archer51 said, you will have to OC at any restaurants that serve alcohol, but even that is not blinked at.

Check out this post from Chronoshifter at packing.org:

CW is BEYOND cool with you open carrying.
    I was recently visiting Colonial Williamsburg with the Girlfriend as I’m a bit of a history geek, and haven’t ever been to CW. I searched all over their website for any indication of allowing or forbidding the carry of firearms, but could find nothing. We arrived, and not wanting to get kicked out of a place I really really wanted to go, I approached the blacksmith shop (or was it shoppe) and asked the blacksmith who was working away upon something. I asked him for a moment and quietly asked if CW allowed the carry of firearms as I didn’t want to break any rules. His response was SOOOO cool. I’ll try to quote him as accurately as possible.

With about TWICE the volume I had used to ask him the question, he responded...

“That good sir is the question we are now faced with. His Majesty’s soldiers even now have decreed that the possessions of any firearms are not only forbade and forbidden, but that it is a crime upon king and country to posses the simple means to protect oneself. The town elders, along with good stalwart men of the Continental Congress have urged all colonial citizens to protest the actions of England’s king and to keep their arms ready and prepared to defend this, which they feel is the most sacred of liberties. Stay your weapons upon your person and walk the streets here proudly.“

Needless to say, I was smiling ear to ear and openly carried, and didn’t really get any undue attention, well. . .except for the SECONDEST coolest thing that happened.

After being there for about an hour, we were walking down the street when we saw performers who were dressed to the nines in Period British military uniforms and walking in formation. One of the conscripts saw I was armed and announced “Sir, that colonial is armed, do we detain?” The officer (I think he was a Major, but my English military knowledge is sadly lacking) stopped his squad and took a deep breath. Again, I will try to quote as accurately as I can.

The (Major?) slowly walked over to me, addressing his halted troops the whole time.

“No Mister Norley. Although his Majesty has decreed that ANY position of musket or pistol is a crime against the throne, these rabble can pose no serious threat against the might and resolve of King and Crown. We shall permit this one to have his personal armaments . . .”

And at this he leaned in very closely so only I could hear.

“. . .for now!”

He walked back to take his place at the head of the formation and marched them onward.

It was the coolest day I could remember in a long time. Open carry your gun, you’ll love it.
    RedKnightt

Zombie Squad has it right: "We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything."

Lead Moderator
    Parts of both Jamestown and Yorktown are National Park Service, which means no carry!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    It seems that gang activity, particulary MS-13, is on the rise in some parts of Virginia. MS-13 are the worst of the worst in my opinion. Just something to watch out for.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Thanks

Thanks for the info. That experience with open carry at williamsburg sounds very cool. It's nice to hear that the town still upholds our 2nd am. rights that the founding fathers hand the foresight to grant the citizens of this great nation.

On MS13, I've heard a bit about these folks, they seem like just the kind of trash that we need to protect ourselfs from. This is the reason we must get more law abiding citizens to carry than there are thugs. Do you know if MS13 is in the Williamsburg Area? If so, what parts of the city to stay clear of?

The whole area is liberaly sprinkled with National Parks. Colonial Parkway is in the National Parks, as are the battlefields in Yorktown. I recomend the Yorktown Pub, down on the Yorktown waterfront.-Jay

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I do not believe Jamestown is part of the National Park system. Look here ...
    National Parks in Virginia

I also take any advice on what to do and/or avoid while in the area.
    MS13 is the least of your worries, especially in the Williamsburg area.

This is a great place to visit. Williamsburg is an all day event...lots to see, costumed folks tell the story.
    Jamestown is a half day affair, very interesting.
    Yorktown is another half day...same as the other two, characters and displays.
    Busch Gardens...if you have kids this is a great theme park, very hilly, great rides for the teens. Also there is a seperate water park.
    http://www.buschgardens.com/bgw/default.aspx

Nearby is Norfolk;
    Nauticus is a fine Maritime museum, complete with anchored Battleship...very cool.
    Nauticus
    The tour of the Naval facility is worth the money, this is done by boat.
    Naval Station Norfolk - tours, Victory Rover cruises, Nauticus, Naval Museum and the Battleship Wisconsin
    Virginia Beach isn't too far away if you want some sun, sand and typically semi-rough, cool ocean.

My neighbor said to skip this...too costly! I haven't been though.
    Great Wolf Lodge Water Park Fun!

If you're coming here on I64 a stop in (near) Charlottesville to see Monticello is one more piece of history well worth the time.
    http://www.monticello.org/
    Last edited by ripley16; July 30th, 2008 at 05:04 PM.

Distinguished Member
    I have live in Virginia all my life, I am about 50 miles from Williamsburg. I have never heard of that gang. Richmond is ruff, but Williamsburg is a nice area with a lot to do and see. There are a lot of tourist, as you might expect. You will have a good time and you can keep your bullet in your front pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I have live in Virginia all my life, I am about 50 miles from Williamsburg. I have never heard of that gang. Richmond is ruff, but Williamsburg is a nice area with a lot to do and see. There are a lot of tourist, as you might expect. You will have a good time and you can keep your bullet in your front pocket.
    I agree but I really am enjoying the picture of MS-13 gang members crawling around Williamsburg amongst the period correct actors, fife and drum corps etc...

Last time I was in Williamsburg I asked a Deputy Sheriff about carrying. He said OC was legal and needed in restaurants selling alcohol and you would not get into trouble. HOWEVER, as a tourist area they must respond to the "man with a gun" call and while you are okay it might cause a delay while they inform the caller of life out of NY/NJ.

Thanks

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll be CC most of the time and only OC in the resturants that serve booze. Oh, and maybe the colonial area of williamsburg to see if they are still good with OC like the story a few post back. It's going to be a PITA when on the parkways driving but, guess I'll have to deal with it.

"HOWEVER, as a tourist area they must respond to the "man with a gun" call and while you are okay it might cause a delay while they inform the caller of life out of NY/NJ."

I don't mind a minor delay to stand up for our 2A rights.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I live in Northern Virginia and MS-13 is huge here. More than 10,000 of its 40,000 members live in the U.S.

Northern Virginia has one of the largest concentration of MS-13 cells on the east coast.

According to one gang investigation task force, they are the fastest growing gang in the U.S. and the most violent.

In Northern Virginia at least, their weapon of choice is the machette and they are well trained in its use.

Also, according to the task force, they have cells in Richmond and Hampton Roads so I wouldn't be surprised to see them in Williamsburg.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Sponsored Links