Indiana/Kentucky

Indiana/Kentucky

This is a discussion on Indiana/Kentucky within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be traveling to Louisville, KY this week. It is going to be a quick down and back trip. This is what I've gathered ...

Thread: Indiana/Kentucky

Indiana/Kentucky

I will be traveling to Louisville, KY this week. It is going to be a quick down and back trip. This is what I've gathered so far about the two state's laws.

IN: Not in airports, schools, police stations, posted locations....about the same places off-limits as in MO. If pulled over, I do not have to notify the officer, but it is recommended. Sounds like open carry is legal, but not encouraged.

KY: Similar off-limit places as in MO and IN, except for one, and I'm hoping someone can help clarify this. It has a provision about health-care facilities. We will be visiting my wife's grandmother, who lives in an assisted living facility. I read the statues, and it made mention of a nursing home, but not an assisted living facility. I don't consider it a nursing home because they don't take care of her 24/7. She has her own room, they cook meals for the residents in the dining hall, and if she were to fall they would help/call ambulance, etc. Other than that, she does pretty much whatever she wants. However, it doesn't matter what I consider it, it's what the law considers it. Any locals able to give my some feedback on this. Other than that, I do not need to notify officer, but it is recommended, no go in airports, police stations, posted locations.

IL: I know....grumble grumble!

Thanks, for the feedback!

I don't know about the assisted living facility, but I advise you to bring a raincoat.

Rain
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

VIP Member
    For Ky it reads: "A health care facility can prohibit license holders from carrying on premises including not only buildings but also parking lots and other land. If the property is open to the public,signs must be posted advising that ccw is prohibited. Carrying ccw on these premises is not a crime".
    There is nothing that says you cannot carry in Health facilities here. A local hospital posted recently , but it's not a legal sign so I ignore it.
    As far as Illinois. If you are coming through the Sikeston area you will be in Illinois for literally about 1 mile. What a pain , to have to lock up your gun for one mile between Missouri and Kentucky.
    Last edited by kentuckycarry; July 30th, 2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: goofed up on the sentence

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    barracuda,

Open carry isn't a big deal in IN. I'd tend to stay out of urban areas doing it (for instance, do it around home and the firehouse... but not when I go into the "city" near me)

One other place that's off limits in IN is any facility that is being used by a school for any reason. IE, the local zoo is being visited as a school trip.

IN does not prohibit you from carrying into a place that is posted, and walking past the sign is not a crime. If you are made, and asked to leave, and don't then you're tresspassing.

FYI. Have a good trip. If you're coming across I-64, you're going just north of me :)

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Say What???

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884 View Post
    One other place that's off limits in IN is any facility that is being used by a school for any reason. IE, the local zoo is being visited as a school trip.
    Somebody PLEASE cite the particular Indiana statute and/or case law that suggests that to be true. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    For Ky it reads: "A health care facility can prohibit license holders from carrying on premises including not only buildings but also parking lots and other land. If the property is open to the public,signs must be posted advising that ccw is prohibited. Carrying ccw on these premises is not a crime".
    There is nothing that says you cannot carry in Health facilities here. A local hospital posted recently , but it's not a legal sign so I ignore it.
    As far as Illinois. If you are coming through the Sikeston area you will be in Illinois for literally about 1 mile. What a pain , to have to lock up your gun for one mile between Missouri and Kentucky.
    Good advice there.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Kentuckycarry: Thank you. That was the part that confused me a little when I was reading through the statutes. Here in MO, hospitals and such are a no-no, again it's not a crime to carry unless you refuse to leave, but I didn't want to chance it. I also don't remember seeing any signs last time we were down there; however, it was before I was carrying and didn't pay that much attention.

firefighter4884: I don't have any intention of OC'ing in IN, but it's nice to know I can if I would like too. I probably will while in the car because it will be a bit more comfy. Not worried about the zoo and schools, as I will be driving through 99% of the state, and only stopping for gas.

AndyW: Saw the forecast, hate driving in the rain, but oh well!

Also, I'll be coming from St. Louis, so I will be driving through much of the People's Republic of Illinois. ~3hrs if I recall correctly. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I need to be unloaded, locked (I have a vehicle gun safe), and out of reach (I'll toss it in the back of the SUV). Not sure if unloaded means rounds out the of magazine as well, so I figure I'll just throw them in baggie and toss them in the lock box.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain38 View Post
    Somebody PLEASE cite the particular Indiana statute and/or case law that suggests that to be true. Thanks.
    You can get the information off of this link, which has links to the IN code.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsA-M.pdf

Cheers

--Jim

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barracudamagoo View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Kentuckycarry: Thank you. That was the part that confused me a little when I was reading through the statutes. Here in MO, hospitals and such are a no-no, again it's not a crime to carry unless you refuse to leave, but I didn't want to chance it. I also don't remember seeing any signs last time we were down there; however, it was before I was carrying and didn't pay that much attention.

firefighter4884: I don't have any intention of OC'ing in IN, but it's nice to know I can if I would like too. I probably will while in the car because it will be a bit more comfy. Not worried about the zoo and schools, as I will be driving through 99% of the state, and only stopping for gas.

AndyW: Saw the forecast, hate driving in the rain, but oh well!

Also, I'll be coming from St. Louis, so I will be driving through much of the People's Republic of Illinois. ~3hrs if I recall correctly. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I need to be unloaded, locked (I have a vehicle gun safe), and out of reach (I'll toss it in the back of the SUV). Not sure if unloaded means rounds out the of magazine as well, so I figure I'll just throw them in baggie and toss them in the lock box.
    Ill-annoy , the gun has to be unloaded and in a gun case. Box does not have to be locked and can be right next to you. The ammo can be in the same box. Magazines can be loaded also. If I were carrying loaded magazines, I'd put them seperate from the gun just to be safe. You're call.
    The gun case just has to be something "designed for a gun" but doesnt have to be factory made. If you make a canvas bag, fold over the end and tie it as ong as you designed it to carry your gun. I always put it in a gun case, just in case.
    Sorry you have to leave this great country of ours for 3 hours....

firefighter4884,

Is THIS the statute you're referring to when you say the local zoo would be off limits for CCW in Indiana if, "...(it was) being visited as a school trip"?

"IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) IN OR ON PROPERTY THAT IS BEING USED BY A SCHOOL FOR A SCHOOL FUNCTION;
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11."

Captain.

I had the zoo used as an example by one of the local police officers. But yes, I would imagine that is the statute.

--Jim

Sponsored Links