Signs that someone is carrying

This is a discussion on Signs that someone is carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've carried for two years now and just recently started looking for signs of others carrying around me. What signs does a person look for? ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Signs that someone is carrying

I've carried for two years now and just recently started looking for signs of others carrying around me.

What signs does a person look for?

(I tried searching for this info on the forum but wasn't coming up with anything... of course, I am seriously computer handicapped and could have been doing it wrong)

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Top three in my book:

Blading

Over-utilization of weak hand

Touching
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Bulges around the hip if shirt is not tucked in, especially if they bend over you usually can see if its a thin shirt. Also seen it around someone who is ankle carrying. If they are wearing a coat thats unzipped when they reach for something can sometimes see a hint of a shoulder draw holster. What I've seen so far anyways.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Just some basics here. You won't be able to tell that I'm carrying though.

Senior Moderator
    The eyes.

You might notice that of all the people around you, most of them are totally oblivious to their surroundings. The one that is not, always looking, scanning and noticing everything will more than likely be the one that is carrying.

He will be wearing comfortable clothes, his shirt may be pulled out and he sits with his back to the wall.

Start there and you'll eventually be able to pick them out.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FatNakedGuy View Post
    What, is that trick question??

Let me guess ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Just some basics here. You won't be able to tell that I'm carrying though.
    Very interesting... thanks.

I have an asymmetrical gait due to breaking a femur and it now being 3/8" shorter than the other one. But my gait is opposite that poster... so do I cancel out? Hmmm...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Top three in my book:

Blading

Over-utilization of weak hand

Touching
    Is that for someone carrying or a registered sex offender?

But seriously. If you see a man with a fanny pack and you are in Texas, odds are it has a gun in it!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Is that for someone carrying or a registered sex offender?

But seriously. If you see a man with a fanny pack and you are in Texas, odds are it has a gun in it!
    LOL.

Blading is #2 on Ramrods chart. Over-utilization of weak-hand is observed over time - the carrier is always trying to keep their draw hand free regardless of circumstance. Touching is #3, 4, 6 on the chart. I know you knew this - but just for clarification for others.

can somebody explain what blading means ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrugs View Post
    Like the old west gunslingers used to do......or sweeping that trench coat out of the way to expose the holster and pistola. Just picture Clint Eastwood walking.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrugs View Post
    It refers to presenting the SIDE of your body, as opposed to the FRONT, to others........just as the edge of a blade differs from the flat.

The human body is designed to do everything directly to the front. When you're talking with people in your everyday life, watch and you'll see that the vast majority of them will be directly facing you, with their shoulders squared.

The single BIGGEST exception to this general rule is cops. They tend to stand at about a 45-degree angle, with their gun side AWAY from you, and just turn their FACE toward you. (They also tend to keep their hands above their elbows, in front of them. It may LOOK like they're just talking with their hands or lightly clasping their hands in front of them, but it's a subtle defensive posture.)

The person who blades himself to you WHILE WALKING is either afraid of you, or nervous about what's on the side of his body he's hiding from you. THAT is often an ILLEGAL gun-carrier. Legal CCWers tend not to worry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    It refers to presenting the SIDE of your body, as opposed to the FRONT, to others........just as the edge of a blade differs from the flat.

The human body is designed to do everything directly to the front. When you're talking with people in your everyday life, watch and you'll see that the vast majority of them will be directly facing you, with their shoulders squared.

The single BIGGEST exception to this general rule is cops. They tend to stand at about a 45-degree angle, with their gun side AWAY from you, and just turn their FACE toward you. (They also tend to keep their hands above their elbows, in front of them. It may LOOK like they're just talking with their hands or lightly clasping their hands in front of them, but it's a subtle defensive posture.)

The person who blades himself to you WHILE WALKING is either afraid of you, or nervous about what's on the side of his body he's hiding from you. THAT is often an ILLEGAL gun-carrier. Legal CCWers tend not to worry about that.
    I learned something new this morning, good post.
    God bless our troops!

I'd define "Blading" as standing defensively, i.e., standing with ones weak side angled toward the person being addressed, as opposed to facing them square on, in order to protect a handgun positioned on the strong side of the body.

This is a common interviewing technique used by law enforcement officers when neither they or the person being interviewed are seated.

Sgt. Mac, is quite right when he states that LEOs do this instinctively. I am a Defensive and Arrest Tactics (DAAT) instructor for my department, and that is one of the things we constantly drill our new recruits on. We call it the interview stance, but he is quite right, we all do it to protect our firearm. I notice when I carry off duty, that my elbow will, at times, lightly rest against my concealed weapon. This is probably a hold over from how I carry on-duty.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links