Shot at nine times and survived

This is a discussion on Shot at nine times and survived within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got a call from my daughter in the wee hours of this morning that someone had shot at her best friend, who was now being ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shot at nine times and survived

Shot at nine times and survived

Got a call from my daughter in the wee hours of this morning that someone had shot at her best friend, who was now being transported to the hospital. I picked my daughter up and off we went.

As best as we can put it together, this is what happened:
    The friend gave another friend a ride home. The two of them were sitting in the apartment complex parking lot, talking before he got out. The engine was running.

She notices, out of the corner of her eye, a man waving his hand from between the next two cars over. As she turns her head back, she sees two gunmen on the sidewalk at the front of her car. The one on her left opens fire.

She and her friend both duck and she throws it into reverse and hits the gas. They make it out onto the road where the flag down a LEO and off to the hospital they go.

The BG fired a total of nine .40 rounds. Several hit the hood and the rest hit the driver's seat, one center of the headrest. She took a grazing wound to her left forearm and a splatter wound/bruise to to her left upper arm. She has plenty of tiny glass fragments in her head and right arm. The passenger was uninjured.

So, what could she have done better? I, for one, told her that particular neighborhood was no place for her to be after midnight. My wife says she would have put it in drive and run down the gunmen.

The young woman must have done something right, she is alive.

Also why would she have been a random target?

Just goes to show you that violence happens with little or no warning.

These two pictures were taken at night with a cell phone camera. Once the police release the car from impound, we are going to try and get some better pictures.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Unless you were a third party observer there's no way to second guess this kind of thing. Could they have been more aware? Maybe yes, maybe no.

I think the key is that they got out alive and relatively O-K, and thank God for that!

She also did the right thing, she utilized her fastest method for escape and evasion. Kudos to her for thinking correctly.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

She got out alive, that is what counts.
    As far as why she was targeted, what do you know about the person she gave a ride to. If this was the passengers destination I (being cynical) don't think it was random. Either someone was looking for the passenger, or maybe the passenger set the driver up for a robbery.
    Or it could be a case of mistaken identity. She drives a similar car to their target.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Glad she's fine.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    She got out alive, that is what counts.
    As far as why she was targeted, what do you know about the person she gave a ride to. If this was the passengers destination I (being cynical) don't think it was random. Either someone was looking for the passenger, or maybe the passenger set the driver up for a robbery.
    Or it could be a case of mistaken identity. She drives a similar car to their target.
    My daughter, the victim, and the passenger all know each other from their involvement in the arts community. I also know the victim and passenger.

The event occurred in front of his apartment, and from the placement of the rounds, he does not appear to be the target. The gunman on his side never fired.

We are thinking the wave from the person two cars over may have been a sign to the shooter that the target had been identified, or a destraction (the windshield is tinted, so it is hard to see inside at night.)

She did well by putting the vehicle into reverse and getting out of there... a lot of people would have froze up and likely been killed.

Glad she survived!

VIP Member
    She did very well to react decisively like she did! Heck, I'm even proud of her!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Sounds like a case of mistaken identity people trying to jack a car usually don't just open fire prior to any resistance,unless it was some type of gang initiation.She was very lucky to stay cool and take they action she did
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

wow that is nuts. glad shes ok. i cant understand what the motive for this would have been.

wow. someone was really loooking after them. seems like a randowm act to me with the little information you provided. i would watch who my daughter hangs out with for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by isaiah357 View Post
    I cant understand what the motive for this would have been.
    There's not likely a very rational reason for the attack.

I would bet it was a gang initiation because even though it was a group activity only one person was shooting.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    So, what could she have done better? I, for one, told her that particular neighborhood was no place for her to be after midnight. My wife says she would have put it in drive and run down the gunmen.
    I like the way your wife thinks.

That being said, Job #1 is to go home......and that got accomplished.

Administrator
    Glad that this story had a mostly happy ending. The headrest photo tells me that Lady Luck was also a passenger in that vehicle.

Random Shooting. There is no reason or "why" to a random shooting.
    That is why it's called a random shooting.

Good thread.

For whatever reason, that girl has some survival instincts!

Get out of the kill zone!... Get out of the kill zone!

She did that, without hesitation and she is alive because of it!

I know a lot of people who would have started screaming and sat there!

My goodness I'm glad they are ok! That is some freaky stuff!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

For a near ambush, get the heck out of the kill zone asap, sounds like she did good, glad that no one was harmed any worse (unless she had thrown it in drive of course).

Could of been completely random, could have been mistaken identity, who knows
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links