Concealed Carry and Private Property

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry and Private Property within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just have a question so I can make sure I don't tell a friend of mine the wrong answer. My friend owns a paintball ...

Thread: Concealed Carry and Private Property

I just have a question so I can make sure I don't tell a friend of mine the wrong answer. My friend owns a paintball business that is on his mom's land. He was asking me if he needed a carry permit to be able to keep a gun on him or in his business to make it legal. I guess a friend of his families is a cop and told him that he needed a permit to do so.

Since this is private/personal property and he has permission from his mom, wouldn't he be able to carry or conceal with no problems? Just want to send him in the right direction so any help is appreciated.
    Springfield 1911A1, Ruger GP100 .357 mag, Glock 17, Ruger Vaquero .44 mag

As far as I know, if his mom has given him permission to run his buisness on her property and has her permission to be armed while conducting buisness on her property, then he is ok. As long as his mom has given her permission for him to carry that firearm, concealed or not, than there is no recourse from a law standpoint. The only thing I would check is the state law regarding carrying on private land.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    As far as I know, if his mom has given him permission to run his buisness on her property and has her permission to be armed while conducting buisness on her property, then he is ok. As long as his mom has given her permission for him to carry that firearm, concealed or not, than there is no recourse from a law standpoint. The only thing I would check is the state law regarding carrying on private land.
    +1 to checking state law. WA State law (for example) allows unlicensed carry in your primary place of business. YMMV.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

+2 on checking state law. I haqve no idea about NC but in SC a business owner can carry concealed or open at his "Real place of business". Employees are required to have a CWP but then can carry open or concealed if I remember correctly.

Check you state laws because they vary all over the place and DON'T ASSUME anything.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Is there more to the question like his age or prior history that prevents him from just getting a CCW and not worrying about being legal without one? As an example here, if his prior history forbids him from getting a CCW, I would wonder if it would also prevent him from being legal in the examples above where people said he wouldn't need one.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Sidebar and maybe a bit obvious here... but... some of those paintball guns are pretty realistic, I hope he's safe enough to not get the guns confused
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Strokin99 View Post
    I just have a question so I can make sure I don't tell a friend of mine the wrong answer. My friend owns a paintball business that is on his mom's land. He was asking me if he needed a carry permit to be able to keep a gun on him or in his business to make it legal. I guess a friend of his families is a cop and told him that he needed a permit to do so.

Since this is private/personal property and he has permission from his mom, wouldn't he be able to carry or conceal with no problems? Just want to send him in the right direction so any help is appreciated.
    I would think he can carry cc or oc providing he qualifies to own or possess a handgun. He might need a tax id or tax cert from the local taxing authority to prove that it's a for real business but if his mom says it's ok then the business part of it shouldn't matter.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

As others have said check with your state laws.

In Florida it's up to the property owner, or business owner. Example if you lease the location of your business you do not need the property owners permission.

And you can conceal carry or open carry. A prime example of this is security guards, have no LEO authority but have the authority of the property owner.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Sidebar and maybe a bit obvious here... but... some of those paintball guns are pretty realistic, I hope he's safe enough to not get the guns confused
    I was thinking the same.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

In NC you can carry on your property or with the permission of the property owner and you don't need a permit, he can also legally open carry as well. If this was a small town cop that he spoke with it doesn't surprise me. I live in Mayberry RFD and I am shocked about how little our local PD actually know about gun laws in NC.
    This is one reason why I don't OC anymore.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Check your state laws. NCHornet could probably direct you to the statute for North Carolina.

Most state laws will have wording allowing for property owners or their authorized agents to carry on their property, regardless of age. In your friends case, he would be an authorized agent of his mother.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Been kinda busy at work and couldn't get on here yesterday to check out the thread. Yes he has permission to carry on his property and he knows the difference between a paintball gun and a real gun. The cop that told him this was a Wilmington police officer and that is not a small town. I think he was just trying to keep him from doing it.

He can carry a gun and has no criminal record preventing him from doing so. He would get the license but only wants to have his gun while he is at work for some reason.
    Springfield 1911A1, Ruger GP100 .357 mag, Glock 17, Ruger Vaquero .44 mag

Sponsored Links