CCW on a Greyhound Bus

CCW on a Greyhound Bus

This is a discussion on CCW on a Greyhound Bus within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've just been reading about the Greyhound beheading in Canada, and how the people on the bus just stood by and did nothing - like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CCW on a Greyhound Bus

I've just been reading about the Greyhound beheading in Canada, and how the people on the bus just stood by and did nothing - like what else can a disarmed population do.

Assuming you are traveling between states where your CCW permit is valid, does anyone know of any reason you can't CCW on a Greyhound Bus?

I read over their website, and I could not find any information on CCW.
    Warning: Driver only carries $20 worth of ammunition.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Well to be fair to the bus passengers a whacko suddenly pulls a large knife and starts stabbing a sleeping passenger, on a bus full of dozy people, a couple of the guys managed to get the bus to stop and got the rest of the people off, even if armed with CCW, I suspect it was to late for the victim. Two guys did manage to barricade the door with a crowbar and hammer to contain the suspect and the driver disabled the engine from the back. A person with a CCW could have stopped any further attack though. This guy was likely whacked out on Meth or similar as they just had a smoke stop.

Maybe too late for the victim but not too late to negate the need for a long drawn out court case.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxi Driver View Post
    Assuming you are traveling between states where your CCW permit is valid, does anyone know of any reason you can't CCW on a Greyhound Bus?
    Other than the Fed's utter willingness to throw you in prison for the "crime" of doing so? None whatsoever.

The Fed treats a Greyhound bus much the same as a United Airlines flight. You might well be able to legally carry on each end of the trip, but you're labeled as "felon" if you dare carry between them on the trip.

I travel via other means, because of it.

As for recourse in the courts, I agree that situations like this, in which the gov't has forced disarmament upon a meek citizenry, have much stronger possibility of being heard in the wake of the Heller decision. It'll take years and millions in attorney fees, sure. But it comes to this: when victims are forcibly disarmed and threatened with prison for disobeying, they're MADE into victims by the gov't. Heller has just affirmed that the gov't has no right to do that in someone's own home. It's not a stretch to show the gov't also has no right to do that period. Tough to get any sane, rational judge to hear what's being said with that logic, sure, but not a stretch.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Well to be fair to the bus passengers a whacko suddenly pulls a large knife and starts stabbing a sleeping passenger, on a bus full of dozy people, a couple of the guys managed to get the bus to stop and got the rest of the people off, even if armed with CCW, I suspect it was to late for the victim. Two guys did manage to barricade the door with a crowbar and hammer to contain the suspect and the driver disabled the engine from the back. A person with a CCW could have stopped any further attack though. This guy was likely whacked out on Meth or similar as they just had a smoke stop.
    Consider this. You are on the bus that is almost full siitting three rows in from of the scene where the stabbing is going on. You have your gun OC on your side. What do you do? Do you stand us and shoot from your position, do you try to run back to the seat and as someone said a contact shot to the head? Remember while you are making your decision there are 30+ other people trying to get out of the bus screaming and running. You are going to be lucky that you don't get knocked down. If you are lucky to get off a shot it isn't going to be like at the range and if you miss there is a good chance of hitting someone else. If you hit him there is also the chance of overpenetration. To top it all off the stabbing victim is dead already.

Lots of unknowns in this scenario and I am not ready to convict the pasengers for not doing their duty quite yet or proclaim that if there were a couple of armed people on the bus then the only one hurt would have been the BG.

My father drove Trailways buses for about 20 years an carried a gun with him lots of times. He never had to use it or even pull it out. We also have to remember that bus travel in Canada and the US is quite different. In the US bus travel is almost exclusively charters now. Very few regular service routes any more.

a CCW holder would have definitely kept the victim status to 1 and not more. no one knew if he was going to kill everyone or not and what if they were not able to stop the bus? a CCW holder would have been able to end the situation quickly.
    Last edited by 762; August 1st, 2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    a CCW holder would have definitely kept the victim status to 1 and not more. no one knew if he was going to kill everyone or not and what if they were not able to stop the bus? a CCW holder would have been able to end the situation quickly.
    Chances are that had anyone had a gun, there's a good chance that in the end, this guy would be dead now. Maybe not in time to save this young man, but very likely before the police got there.

Get caught with a firearm on an airline, a train, on a cruise ship, or a Greyhound......instant trouble, just add some LE.

Probably not any way to have stopped this nut from his first victim...nasty story!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Get caught with a firearm on an airline, a train, on a cruise ship, or a Greyhound......instant trouble, just add some LE.

Probably not any way to have stopped this nut from his first victim...nasty story!
    but what if there is no firearm policy on a greyhound? buses are small, cramped and a lot can happy quickly...
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

At least on airlines you're assured that all other passengers are screened. I haven't been on a bus for years, but this guy had a large hunting knife. Must have slipped by all those metal detectors and x-ray scanners some how. Good thing those folks had all those federal laws protecting them from that.

i used to take greyhounds on a regular basis from NYC to philly...no one is checked...and you have no idea what someone has on a bus.

Having buses be "gun free zones" w/o security screening would turn them into moving slaughter houses.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

When I worked for them, Greyhound did have a no weapons policy. I never knew of anyone who tried to enforce it unless a passenger specifically asked about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    i used to take greyhounds on a regular basis from NYC to philly...no one is checked...and you have no idea what someone has on a bus.

Having buses be "gun free zones" w/o security screening would turn them into moving slaughter houses.
    The "gun free zone" didn't have anything to with it. Not stopping every passenger and taking their hunting knives and guns might have, but just having a law on the books obviously did absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by MMABC View Post
    The "gun free zone" didn't have anything to with it. Not stopping every passenger and taking their hunting knives and guns might have, but just having a law on the books obviously did absolutely nothing.
    Saying a person cannot have a knife or gun on the bus will not stop people who have ill intent. As always, only law abiders would adhere to such stupid policy. forbidding guns on a bus by law/policy would make it gun-free, right?

i would never board a bus filled with people i dont know in such close quarters and not be armed.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Greyhound is a "Common Carrier"

Quote Originally Posted by Taxi Driver View Post
    Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44, Section 922, Part "e" states;
    (e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.
    I got that from the Cornell Law website.
    Yes, the word "may" does appear. You "may" not want to be a test case either.
    DoubleR"You Can't Legislate Human Behavior"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links