Going to D.C.

Going to D.C.

This is a discussion on Going to D.C. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, My wife and I are going to be spending a week in Washington DC. I understand that a gun is out of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to D.C.

Going to D.C.

Hi guys,

My wife and I are going to be spending a week in Washington DC. I understand that a gun is out of the question.

What about my standard 3 1/4 " folding knife that I always carry ??
    Will that get me in trouble with the law also ?
    Any suggestions for a newby to D.C. ?? Thanks, mike

I've found doing things in DC to be increasingly onerous. Tourist areas in daytime are pretty safe. Metal detectors are everywhere, and you're constantly having to empty pockets for searches at buildings and museums. I recommend not carrying knives, or anything similar. I am in DC often for work and depend on situational awareness and improvised defenses. I go there as seldom as possible. Too bad -- it used to be a lot more pleasant there. Probably still worth the effort if you've never been there, though.

Have no idea about the knife but if you are an honest citizen they will probably lock you up for a long long time. If you have a long enough rap sheet you will be back on the street long before the DA can finish the paper work after court. I have a FL non resident and a MD resident permit and I drive around DC every time. My question to you is why would you go to the District of Corruption?

PS I would not suggest driving in the city either, the towing companys are known to pick up vehicles with out police authoroty and hold them for high ransom. The parking situation is terrable and if you can find a spot one of the biggest money makers for the city is ticketing vehicles for unheard of violations like not having the front wheels cut the proper way if parked on an incline.

PPS Good Luck

bring a picture of your gun at least. it may scare people off....if unregistered photos of guns are allowed.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Im confused... the D.C. Gun Ban was just found unconstitutional, so why would you not be able to carry their now??

Or am I missing something?

Mike A!

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    The Heller decision said nothing about Carrying a gun.
    All it said was you can have one at home.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    You may want to go a little less on blade length depending on where you are going. Some places will hold your stuff for you, but most won't, so you will be donating it to the security guard or whoever.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

In D.C. you might get arrested for TASD (Thinking About Self-Defense).

Good Luck...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Unless you are in a gang or selling drugs, DC is a very safe tourist town. As mentioned, security is high, not like post 9-11 high, but there are armed guards all over the place. Forget the knife, you won't need it visiting monuments and museums. Virginia is a different story. If you carry and live in a reciprocal state, you're OK. Do not carry in DC. Do not carry in Maryland.

Any suggestions for a newby to D.C. ??
    Are you asking for what to see and do in DC?

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Unless you are in a gang or selling drugs, DC is a very safe tourist town. ....
    Are you sure?

Crime Rate Comparison: Washington Vs. Philadelphia
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

smn
    Stay in Virginia and OC there. Take the metro into DC as you need.

forget about going into any of the museums with the knife it will be confiscated leave it home as stated all in all a safe city in the tourist areas.

Thanks for all of the info !!! mike

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Unless you are in a gang or selling drugs, DC is a very safe tourist town. As mentioned, security is high, not like post 9-11 high, but there are armed guards all over the place. Forget the knife, you won't need it visiting monuments and museums.
    Safe except for perhaps the subways. The subways in DC are a very efficient means of transportation, and appear to be safe. However, when I was there this summer, I was quite surprised that there is virtually no security on the subways -- backpacks everywhere unchecked. No one seems to mind and everything seems cool. Still though, I dread the day when the subways come under attack. Everything will come to a screeching halt.

Come on over to Virginia

smn beat me to it Stay in Virginia, tour in Virginia, and enjoy your sidearm in Virginia. Just go to DC when it's really necessary.
    DoubleR"You Can't Legislate Human Behavior"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links