Are Revolvers Kinder & Gentler than Pistols?

This is a discussion on Are Revolvers Kinder & Gentler than Pistols? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been agonizing over how to write this post for the last week. I have searched the forum and not found anything about the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Revolvers Kinder & Gentler than Pistols?

Are Revolvers Kinder & Gentler than Pistols?

I have been agonizing over how to write this post for the last week. I have searched the forum and not found anything about the subject. I can always be proven wrong. There are lots of Pistol vs Revolver threads and this is not intended to be one. So here goes…

I think the general public see revolvers as less threatening and safer than auto’s. The most recent evidence of this is the way Washington DC is responding to the recent 2nd amendment ruling. The fact that they are giving a nod to revolvers and still clamping down on auto’s adds some validity to my theory.

I think this comes from two things. First, we all love seeing Barney Fife with his bullet in his pocket. All the old TV shows we grew up on showed our favorite officers carrying the old trusted revolver. Maybe we see visions of Cowboys dancing in our heads? I wonder if revolvers are considered antique like a black powder pistol or something? Second, they have a limited amount of ammo.

On the other side, I have heard from officers that the snubbie is a very popular weapon for the criminal element. They are cheap and plentiful. Not sure if this is true, there are plenty of you on this forum that can give us non-law enforcement folks a better perception of reality. I also, believe, most people do not think of the revolver as a semi-automatic weapon and not capable of fast firing rates.

So why the bad rap for pistols and are revolvers really considered safer? Would there be any benefit when before a jury having used a revolver or pistol for self defense or would it matter? Will we all be carrying revolvers one day?

What do you think? Are there any articles out there that would support this observation? Why does it seem the general public thinks revolvers are less a threat than pistols? Articles and opinions are welcome. I am just trying to understand the logic behind this phenomenon.

Just so you know, I own both, carry both, & love both.

2. Remove Ads

It's easy for an attorney to argue against either one in court. In my opinion it makes little to no difference which you carry and you could speculate about it endlessly.

i.e.

"If he really just wanted to defend himself a .38 would have been more than ample but instead this man armed himself with a .357 magnum intending to maximize damage and assure the death of his victims..."

"If he really just wanted to defend himself why did he need a 16 round magazine? What he really wanted was to maximize damage and assure the death of his victims..."

and on and on and on...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

One word

MEDIA

Has changed the public perception to all simi-auto loading handgun are pure evil

That may be a perception among the poorly informed public fostered by the media. Actually there is nothing "kinder and gentler" about a .357 Magnum.

This perception might be just another example of media gatekeeping - basically, by choosing which stories they cover, they are, in a sense, "telling" the audience what to think about. The always negative connotations regarding semi-autos seem to have the general public believing that anyone that has a semi is just a stone-cold-killer in training.

Seems to me that a .22 revolver can kill you just as dead as a .40 semi-auto.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

I think the reason auto's get greater scrutiny is because they are not limited to 5 or 6 rounds. Therefore "they" assume the only reason to own an auto is so that one can go on a shooting spree easily. If one device is disallowed then all suddenly becomes right with the world.

I Myself like the 357 Security six 4 in I can conceal it very good shorts & 1x Larger shirt also 3in group 25. yd That being said confedence in what you carry makes all the deference +HKS speed loader just in casethe poo poo hits the fan wheeeew thats alot of (1) finger typing!!

Quote Originally Posted by BSHardi View Post
    I have been agonizing over how to write this post for the last week. I have searched the forum and not found anything about the subject. I can always be proven wrong. There are lots of Pistol vs Revolver threads and this is not intended to be one. So here goes…

I think the general public see revolvers as less threatening and safer than auto’s. The most recent evidence of this is the way Washington DC is responding to the recent 2nd amendment ruling. The fact that they are giving a nod to revolvers and still clamping down on auto’s adds some validity to my theory.

I think this comes from two things. First, we all love seeing Barney Fife with his bullet in his pocket. All the old TV shows we grew up on showed our favorite officers carrying the old trusted revolver. Maybe we see visions of Cowboys dancing in our heads? I wonder if revolvers are considered antique like a black powder pistol or something? Second, they have a limited amount of ammo.

On the other side, I have heard from officers that the snubbie is a very popular weapon for the criminal element. They are cheap and plentiful. Not sure if this is true, there are plenty of you on this forum that can give us non-law enforcement folks a better perception of reality. I also, believe, most people do not think of the revolver as a semi-automatic weapon and not capable of fast firing rates.

So why the bad rap for pistols and are revolvers really considered safer? Would there be any benefit when before a jury having used a revolver or pistol for self defense or would it matter? Will we all be carrying revolvers one day?

What do you think? Are there any articles out there that would support this observation? Why does it seem the general public thinks revolvers are less a threat than pistols? Articles and opinions are welcome. I am just trying to understand the logic behind this phenomenon.

Just so you know, I own both, carry both, & love both.
    I own and carry both as well. My revolver is a snubbie, which I use a backup weapon. Once in a blue moon, I will carry it as a primary.

The revolver is considered to be safer and more reliable. Most revolvers are double action and they don't jam like autos do. Still, I like the M&P 9 full or compact. I have never had any problems with those weapons. They are very reiliable as well. The reason I go with the auto is the shot capacity is greater. The 9 full is 17+1 and the 9c is 12+1, more than an revolver. If you have watched the Wildest Police Videos, you have seen the shootouts where a lot of shots are fired, but nobody is getting hit.

The media has a lot to do with the public's perception of autos vs revolvers. The news can word things in such a way as to make autos look worse than they really are. Everything they report is the truth, but it's manipulated to change public opinion. The movies have a lot to do with it too How many gansta movies have you seen when the assailant is pointing an auto turned sideways? That's the kind of things that people remember.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    That may be a perception among the poorly informed public fostered by the media. Actually there is nothing "kinder and gentler" about a .357 Magnum.
    Not only that, the public is not been informed of stories of attackers not being phased by a .38 blast.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by BSHardi View Post
    I think the general public see revolvers as less threatening and safer than auto’s.
    Interesting thread. I personally feel that my .357 snubby is a good bit nastier, louder and less civilized than my 1911. It belches fire, makes my hand sore and bucks like a mule.

As others posted, it is probably the number of rounds, which doesn't make a lot of sense. A full-size revolver holds six rounds while my 1911 holds 7+1, a difference of two. Notice how hysterical the public gets when they see a rifle with a 30-round mag.

Just more hoplophobia. If the first round is fatal, the other 29 can't make it any worse.

Both Revolvers and Autoloaders send bullets downrange.

The Revolver evokes to me, an image of a kindler and gentler time. The guns are just as deadly as any Autoloader. Where the Revolver outshines the Autoloader is in power. You can fire a more powerful cartridge out of a Revolver than an Autoloader. Also, the Revolver will chamber any round designed for it. The Autoloader depends on the previously fired round to bring the next round in line to fire.

The Autoloader outshines the Revolver in two areas. Reloads and Capacity. It's easier to reload an Autoloader and they generally have more bullets "on tap" before needing a reload.

No, Revolvers are not "kinder and gentler" they just evoke the image of a by-gone era. I myself like to carry Revolvers, but I also carry Autoloaders. I don't feel in the least bit hampered by carrying a six shooter. It worked for Wyatt Earp, it will work for me.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by gwhall57 View Post
    This perception might be just another example of media gatekeeping - basically, by choosing which stories they cover, they are, in a sense, "telling" the audience what to think about. The always negative connotations regarding semi-autos seem to have the general public believing that anyone that has a semi is just a stone-cold-killer in training.

Seems to me that a .22 revolver can kill you just as dead as a .40 semi-auto.
    +1
    According to the ill-informed, an Auto is always more dangerous than a revolver. Lets see, what is worse? A 10 round .22 auto vs. a 6 round .44 mag. . . . I have seen some VERY fast SA revolver shooters out there better and faster than many auto shooters. Looks like the media just does not want to be properly informed when it comes to guns.

Administrator
    Mostly because the media does not know how to call a "semi-automatic" a semi-automatic.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Interesting thread!

Something to keep in mind that the media won't tell you, the most powerful handgun rounds are usually only available in revolvers. The first one that comes to mind is a .44 mag. When you start getting to the really big calibers the carrying capacities between the revolver and semi start to even out, so does the tactical advantage of one type over the other. There are fewer moving parts in a revolver than a semi, so less chance of a malfunction.

Just because DC favors them for one reason or the other doesn't mean they are inferior to the semi when the SHTF.

TOF
    The Old Western Movies can't be a factor because they had infinite capacity in those days. A 17 round auto wouldn't stand a chance against John Wayne and his Six Gun.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links