Road Rage during my vacation

This is a discussion on Road Rage during my vacation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mods, please move if this is not the right location for this thread. I'm on vacation with family visiting. My wife, mother, father, and teenage ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Rage during my vacation

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar

Road Rage during my vacation

Mods, please move if this is not the right location for this thread.

I'm on vacation with family visiting. My wife, mother, father, and teenage brother piled into the car and had a blast at Cedar Point, an amusement park in northern Ohio. On our way back to Cincinnati we drove on highway 71. As a consultant I've driven it many times, and have a decent amount of experience with aggressive drivers. But last night I had my first encounter with an aggressive driver who was fixated on me.

I normally use cruise control while highway driving, and this was the case last night. Around 2130, about 30 minutes outside of the 275 that circles Cincinnati, a small red S-10 passed us. Aside from noting that there was a single occupant, and that the vehicle was for sale, I didn't pay it much mind. A few miles later we caught up to the truck and I pulled into the left lane to pass. Within the next 10 minutes this cycle was repeated. The third time I began to pass him he matched my speed. I slowed down, allowed him to pull ahead, and dropped back into the slow lane.

I mentioned to my half-asleep wife that he was acting odd, but I continued to stay on cruise. As he began to slow yet again I moved into the left lane to pass a third time (Hindsight being 20/20, this is where I made my mistake). This time he rolled down his window, began cursing (we assume, as our windows were still up) and then threw something out the window and hit my car. I cursed, braked hard, and cursed again as he mirrored my maneuver. I put on our hazard lights but continued to drive while my father called 911. After mirroring my speed for a minute I was able to pull ahead of him.

After he had paced us for a few more miles, twice drifting towards exits but continuing to follow (I assume he was trying to anticipate our route) he passed us and continued to accelerate. I called out his license plate for my father to relay to the police, and we were given instructions to exit at the highway patrol barracks.

We met one of the highway patrolmen, filed a report, and inspected the car (there was no damage). The rest of the drive home was uneventful.

At no time did I consider taking my pistol out of it's holster. Between my full car, the moving target, and the risks of collision it simply wasn't a viable option.

Any thoughts? Anything I should have done differently, or should take into account in the future. I will, of course, try to keep an eye out for vehicles that I pass more than once.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I thought you handled it well and kept your cool. My only thought is I prefer to keep the threat in front of me.

Rick

Senior Moderator
    Sounds good to me.

I might have stopped and let the fool drive on.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Just last week my elderly mom and dad were accosted by a road rager just off 275 in the eastgate area.

We have our share of these type of people in Cinci area. 71, 75 and 275 are full of aggressive drivers. Sounds like you did the right thing. Hopefully OSP will investigate. I would do a call back to OSP and see what has been determined. Please let us know.
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

Scary -- these types of instances are so dangerous because aside from the frightening distraction, you have to keep your eyes on the road and continue to drive -- I may have pulled off the road as well, but then you run the risk of him stopping as well and escalating the matter even further...of course, you are armed. ;-)
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

I know that stretch of highway pretty well, only two lanes, sounds like you did good.

Ohio drivers are nuts sometimes, just somethin in that river water I guess.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    I doubt they investigate. Thats a pretty low priority call for something where there was no damage or injury.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    its not just Ohio, there are plenty of idiots on the road down here too

sound like you did well handling it, as others have suggested, I would consider slowing down and keeping him in front of me after he threw the object, good job on getting the plate and getting the 911 call in
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    Sounds like my average drive across Illinois. Except they usually don't throw stuff at me. However, I usually have to exit at some point to get rid of some moron that cannot drive. I usually follow them after the second go around and then exit at the next exit, stop for a few minutes and get back on the highway. Oddly enough I sometimes still catch up to the morons.

I'm preparing to mount a 20mm cannon in the bed of my truck for my next Illinois crossing.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I doubt they investigate. Thats a pretty low priority call for something where there was no damage or injury.
    I bet that they entered it into his record in the MV database and the next time someone else reports him he will receive a visit (or letter) from the State Police.

I think that's how they do it here in Colo. They're very serious about it [road rage], in fact a road-rager who caused an accident which resulted in the deaths of the rager's victim and a driver of another car was convicted of First Degree Murder. He had been reported for road rage more than once.

The moron road-rager also told the wrecker/tow truck driver at the scene that the victim deserved it. I'm sure the jury loved hearing that.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

It sounds like you did everything right.

I too prefer to keep the threat in front of me though. It also makes it easier to get a license plate # for the responding LEO's. This was not a situation for drawing your gun and I commend you for not taking it out of it's holster.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

You done well.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I know that stretch of highway pretty well, only two lanes, sounds like you did good.

Ohio drivers are nuts sometimes, just somethin in that river water I guess.
    We must have a lot of your OH drivers down here, too!

Easy to second guess anyone, I would have tried to stay behind...sounds like you were OK.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like you did well.

Tactically, keep the offender in front of you. You are too much at risk for being run off the road as you try to pass and get around him. Also you are then at risk to being rear ended and forced off the road if he is behind you. He can also perform a PIT maneuver on you from behind.

If he is in front and attempts to slow you down to a stop, break hard and stop leaving as much distance between you as possible. After he has stopped, if he leaves his vehicle you can maneuver around him and get away.

Only pull your weapon if you see him approach you with a weapon. Use your vehicle as your main defensive tool.

If you see things getting out of control, try and exit the freeway before things really get out of line.

Also, if you do not own a cell phone... I would recommend getting one for no other reason than for emergency use while on the road. They are an excellent way to get help out there when you need it.

To that end, you need to have enough situational awareness as to know where you are on the highway at any given moment. Keep regular track of what exits you pass and how far away they are while on the highway and pay attention to mile markers if they are posted on the highway. Dispatchers will need to know that information in order to get assistance to you as quickly as possible.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You did well, Weedhopper.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links