On-line CCW process status in Michigan

This is a discussion on On-line CCW process status in Michigan within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For you Michigan CCW applicants, I came across this article from Mt. Clemens where it details a new service going on there for CCW applicants ...

Thread: On-line CCW process status in Michigan

On-line CCW process status in Michigan

For you Michigan CCW applicants, I came across this article from Mt. Clemens where it details a new service going on there for CCW applicants to query their permit process status on-line !! It'd really be a nice thing to see every state, etc. go to this method.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

MOUNT CLEMENS-- The Macomb County clerk's office has launched a service that allows residents to use the Internet to check the status of their applications for concealed weapons permits and frees up staff to help residents with other issues.
    "We could get as many as 30 calls a day about (concealed weapons) applications, and it would really bog down my staff," said Carmella Sabaugh, the county clerk.
    She thinks the service is the first of its kind in Michigan.
    Michigan State Police officials said they had not heard of such a program anywhere else in the state.
    The program, which was introduced through Sabaugh's office, is designed to eliminate confusion for applicants, Sabaugh said.
    "We thought, 'Wouldn't be great if we could make this information available online and allow us to spend less time on status calls and more time helping others?' "
    "We've wanted to make this service available for some time," she said.
    The county clerk's office introduced the online status check for applications earlier this month.
    Kenneth Melchoir, 56, of Fraser said he likes the new service. He learned about the service recently, when he visited the clerk's office to renew his permit.
    "I'm not very computer literate, but it was very easy to use and straightforward," the civil engineer said.
    "It was really interesting to check on the status of my application and see how it progressed."
    Under state law, residents must have a license to carry a concealed weapon.
    To obtain licenses, owners must submit applications for their permits with county clerks.
    The process can take as long as three months.
    With the new service, applicants are given a Web site address, a user name and a password that enables them to log on and check the status of their applications.
    Sabaugh said the service is working well and the number of calls from applicants has noticeably decreased.
    For the first 11 months of 2005, 4,217 Macomb County residents applied for concealed weapons permits, and 4,159 have been issued by the county's Concealed Weapon Licensing Board, according to the county clerk's office.
    The board is made up of Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith, Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel and Michigan State Police Lt. Robert York.
    Last year, 3,395 Macomb County residents applied for concealed weapon permits, and the county's weapon licensing board granted 3,341 permits, according to Sabaugh's office.
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

2. Remove Ads

Thats should be handy when i go to renew if my county has it buy then but i wont hold my breath

Love the idea! Would be fantastic!
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Thats should be handy when i go to renew if my county has it by then but i wont hold my breath
    If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath. Wayne County government doesn't seem to be very gun-owner friendly, from what I've seen and been told.

I'm hoping the SoS will take over the process soon, myself.

LOL...same thing with Oakland county...although the new scanner-type finger printing machine at the sheriff's office drastically increases the speed of getting them to the state police. I'll let you know if it speeds up the receipt of a permit though

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe
    If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath. Wayne County government doesn't seem to be very gun-owner friendly, from what I've seen and been told.

I'm hoping the SoS will take over the process soon, myself.
    Ya know it was to bad the first time i go my permit 1 month and 12 days l...

I got my permit to carry before my buddy could get to see judge at friend of the court and we both filed for what we wanted the same day.

At the same time we car pooled down how sad is that you can get a permit in under 2 months but to get you stuff heard at FOC takes till december of same year...

We filed 1st Day of FEB

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Ya know it was to bad the first time i go my permit 1 month and 12 days l...

I got my permit to carry before my buddy could get to see judge at friend of the court and we both filed for what we wanted the same day.

At the same time we car pooled down how sad is that you can get a permit in under 2 months but to get you stuff heard at FOC takes till december of same year...

We filed 1st Day of FEB
    Here is KZOO it takes at least 45 days from date of file. It sucks cuz your training class is finished, you paid a buttload of money, got a nice rig set-up and you're all STOKED to start carrying and then WHAM! - you gotta wait 45 friggin days.
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

Quote Originally Posted by d2thomas
    Here is KZOO it takes at least 45 days from date of file. It sucks cuz your training class is finished, you paid a buttload of money, got a nice rig set-up and you're all STOKED to start carrying and then WHAM! - you gotta wait 45 friggin days.
    I wouldn't complain if I were you. From the date I filed my application with the Ingham County Clerk to the day I got my permit was 103 days. A little over 3 months. THAT is a long wait. And it's not the longest. I've talked to people in Wayne county who've waited over 6 months.

I wouldn't complain if I were you. From the date I filed my application with the Ingham County Clerk to the day I got my permit was 103 days. A little over 3 months. THAT is a long wait. And it's not the longest. I've talked to people in Wayne county who've waited over 6 months.

DANG, no doubt!

It seems, at least, that folks around here in KZOO are pretty receptive to the idea of civillian carry. The only hesitations I've received have been mainly from other college kids who, the majority at least, are in the process of finding themselves and what they believe in.
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

DANG, no doubt!

It seems, at least, that folks around here in KZOO are pretty receptive to the idea of civillian carry. The only hesitations I've received have been mainly from other college kids who, the majority at least, are in the process of finding themselves and what they believe in.
    There's not all that much resistance to CCW here. I've yet to be disarmed during a traffic stop, and I've been stopped and questioned about 4 or 5 times. Either by DNR Police, Ingham County Sherrif, or Lansing PD. And in those times, only two asked to see my registration card for the gun I had. And the last stop, the cop didn't even ask for my permit or license.

He stopped me because he thought at first my license plate had expired. Then, when I had stopped, he realized the SOS had printed my tag on last years color, even though it was for this year. He didn't know for sure until he'd called it in, which he couldn't do until we stopped, as he was driving a motorcycle. I informed him right away about my permit and pistol, he thanked me, then asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I said I had no clue, as I knew I wasn't speeding. Then he informed me about the tag color problem, apologized for pulling me over, and again, thanked me for informing him of my permit and pistol. Again, he never asked for any of it, I can only assume he ran my DL and saw I had a permit from the LEIN enquiry. Still one of the nicest police stops I've ever been through. ;)

Oh yeah, I've not gotten a single ticket in all the times I've been stopped since I got my CPL. :D

There's not all that much resistance to CCW here. I've yet to be disarmed during a traffic stop, and I've been stopped and questioned about 4 or 5 times. Either by DNR Police, Ingham County Sherrif, or Lansing PD. And in those times, only two asked to see my registration card for the gun I had.

That is really odd because no where in any of the CCW laws, in my training, or any website does it say anything about having to carry your Pistol Purchase Permit registration card. It only says to present a Michigan DL/ID and the CPL permit.
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

That is really odd because no where in any of the CCW laws, in my training, or any website does it say anything about having to carry your Pistol Purchase Permit registration card. It only says to present a Michigan DL/ID and the CPL permit.
    You're correct, it's not mandatory, but it is advised. I carry a copy. The originals are locked up in a fireproof box at home.

Links