Carry restrictions?

Carry restrictions?

This is a discussion on Carry restrictions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife recently attended a gun safety/concealed carry class. She came home and told me she learned a lot of new things. First was that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carry restrictions?

My wife recently attended a gun safety/concealed carry class. She came home and told me she learned a lot of new things.

First was that it was not legal to carry in a bank or a hospital. I am in West Virginia, and cannot find a law that says anything about that. I asked the Deputy that taught the class about it. He told me it was a federal law. I did try to find that law as well, but could not. I did find one that says something about a building that is owned or leased by the federal government is off limits. Anyone know what federal law he is refering to?

Second the flier you get when applying for the permit says it is not legal to carry in a police station. What I can find in state code says schools, court houses, federal buildings, ect. But does not list police stations.

Third was that she only needed to fire six rounds to be qualified. I am sure glad she likes going to the range and shooting. At least I know she can indeed shoot.

Jim

Are you doing your personal banking at the Federal Reserve? Bit of a hike from WV. I believe the instructor is mistaken. Further, if there's a law limiting further regulations on a local level (like VA), the worst that can happen to ya is "Ma'am, please leave", or a trespass if you don't comply.

You should have a word with him. Me may appreciate it.

We have a 55 gallon drum tilted to the side on some sort of bracket in front of our police stations. They are accompanied by a sign "Please leave weapons outside". Wonder who came up with that genius idea, and what genius would actually drop a pistol in a bucket for anyone to grab.

Checkout Handgunlaw.us

Federal law says no fed buildings or national parks (this may change it is currently up for review)

Checkout the above link for your state laws.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    We have a 55 gallon drum tilted to the side on some sort of bracket in front of our police stations. They are accompanied by a sign "Please leave weapons outside". Wonder who came up with that genius idea, and what genius would actually drop a pistol in a bucket for anyone to grab.
    That is a clearing station. There should be some sand in the drum. You remove your magazine, and clear your chamber in the drum with the barrel pointing toward the sand. That way if there is an accidental discharge the round is caught by the sand. You then go secure your unloaded weapon in your vehicle before entering the building.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Clearing station eh?

redneck that I am, I'd have thought it was to put out your ciggarette's in.....

VIP Member
    Some of your answers are here:
    West Virginia CCW Concealed Carry Hand Gun Legal Info
    <
    <
    And this site is the state site:
    http://www.wvago.gov/pdf/BookletWVFirearmLaws.pdf
    It would appear carry in banks is permissible.
    Last edited by nn; August 4th, 2008 at 09:56 PM.

First rule, don't trust the local po, po's for info on gun laws!!! They know less than my wife about what the law really says about guns. This is why I don't OC in my area.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member
    I was told at my ccw course that I have to inform I'm carrying if pulled over. Wrong......... I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    Checkout Handgunlaw.us

Federal law says no fed buildings or national parks (this may change it is currently up for review)

Checkout the above link for your state laws.
    Banks are privately owned financial institutions, not federal buildings. The closest they come to Federal status is the depositor insurance they're required to carry. Individual banks or branches may choose to post their property as no carry zones but that's by no means federal law. The instructor in question needs an education himself.
    Jack

My CCDW instructor here in Kentucky told us that under no circumstances are we to ever carry a gun into a bank. He is a thirty year veteran of a local police department too!
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
    Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Banks are privately owned financial institutions, not federal buildings. The closest they come to Federal status is the depositor insurance they're required to carry. Individual banks or branches may choose to post their property as no carry zones but that's by no means federal law. The instructor in question needs an education himself.
    Jack
    I know, thats why I said fed buildings and national parks and not banks.

In NY, as long as it's not federal property, court or school, it's ok. My bank is in a small town, all the staff knows me there and greets me personally, and I don;t think twice about my CCW.

That said, of there were any kind of metal detectors at the entrance, I would probably think twice about carrying into ANY building.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    That is a clearing station. There should be some sand in the drum. You remove your magazine, and clear your chamber in the drum with the barrel pointing toward the sand. That way if there is an accidental discharge the round is caught by the sand. You then go secure your unloaded weapon in your vehicle before entering the building.
    I'll take a picture just for you... But are you saying it's there so I can go up to the police station, pop off a shot into a barrel right next to the door, then calmly walk back to my vehicle to drop of the gun (at this point we call it "evidence" or "contraband"?), then go BACK to the station? Maybe my sense of humor is taking a nap right now, but I don't get it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    I'll take a picture just for you... But are you saying it's there so I can go up to the police station, pop off a shot into a barrel right next to the door, then calmly walk back to my vehicle to drop of the gun (at this point we call it "evidence" or "contraband"?), then go BACK to the station? Maybe my sense of humor is taking a nap right now, but I don't get it.
    Its not to "pop a shot off", its to have a safe direction to point the weapon in case of a negligent discharge while clearing the weapon before it is safely stowed in your car etc.
    I'm also willing to bet there are lock boxes mounted to the wall, not necessarily for the publics weapons, but for the officers entering a secure area that houses prisoners.
    "Just blame Sixto"

As I understand it, the federal law on schools has an exception for anyone licensed in the same state as the school, to carry a concealed firearm. The only bank you could not carry in, by federal law is a Federal Reserve Bank, as far as I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links