Defensive Carry banner

FL Resident - Can he get CCW in PA?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mlakrid 
#1 ·
My eldest son just bought his first pistol: an M&P full-sized .40 and now wants to get his CCW. He is a Florida resident but goes to school in Pennsylvania (incoming college senior, age 22). He leaves for school on the 17th and has prior commitments the next two Saturdays and cannot attend any weekend classes in Orlando. His alternatives are to a) try to find (an affordable) mid-week class in Orlando; or b) take a class in Pennsylvania - if allowed by law. "Yunz-guyz'" opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

#2 ·
In order to get a PA non res permit, IIRC you have to have a permit in your state of residence.

Stand by for some links.

From the PSP

An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply for a license to carry firearms by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to the sheriff of the county in which they reside or if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city along with the required fee.
Individuals who are 21 years of age or older and are NOT Pennsylvania residents may apply for a license by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any Pennsylvania County Sheriff’s office along with the required fee. A Pennsylvania license cannot be issued to a resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by their home state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury.

The quickest (and only) way for him to get a PA license is going to be getting a PA drivers license (or state ID, this may have changed, but I had a MI drivers license when I got my PA state ID and applied for my LTCF), provided he has sufficient info needed to apply for PA residence, and apply for his LTCF.

He should be able to get his new license the same day and apply for his LTCF at his local County Sheriff's office, wait time varies from county to county.

There is no training requirement in PA

You can get info regarding obtaining a PA photo ID from the PENNDOT website

#3 ·
Thanks JD! I did find a PA company that offers classes for a FL resident permit. Not sure if it's any good, but I like what I see so far. The prices aren't that different from the $95+ course fee currently being charged in FL. Mind sharing your thoughts about this? 29 State Concealed Carry Permit Class: Personal Defense Solutions

I mentioned to him that he should declare residency in PA (he says he's not interested in returning to Florida after graduation - unless he gets a great job offer).

#4 ·
Switching residency is no big deal, I've switched from MI to PA to VA without a hitch.

If he's going to be in PA for a while, I'd go ahead and switch.

Regarding the class...I'm not familiar with the place you have listed, but looking at the FL requirements.
ACCEPTABLE TRAINING DOCUMENTATION
1. A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes listed below. Do not send your original certificate
because it cannot be returned.
2. A copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition;
3. An affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught the course or class attesting
to the completion of the course or class by the applicant below. Be sure to submit the original (notarized) affidavit
but make a copy for your records because it cannot be returned.
• Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation
Commission or a similar agency of another state;
• Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
• Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement,
junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing
instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission,
or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
• Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators,
special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
• Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition
or military service (persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card;
discharged persons may submit a copy of the DD-214);
• Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such
license has been revoked for cause;
• Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle
Association-certified firearms instructor.
I think a basic NRA course would be fine, yes there are better courses, but if you son is looking for quick and cheap and not a 2 day shoot 600 rd class, the NRA class will be less costly.

I still think that becoming a PA resident an applying for a PA LTCF will be the easier and more expediant than applying for the FL and waiting for it to go through.

If I'm not mistaken FL takes a bit longer to be processed.

Where is he going to school?

#7 ·
JD...

Most your info is dead on the mark... However, most ranges, like the one I goto with my friend include the notary, Finger prints, and electronic filing inside of the $100 cost...

I asked about this very thing last night because I found out the NPRC (National Personell Records Center) never recieved my military records after I got out...

So it will be quicker for me to get a class, pay the fee and get my CCW quicker...

The wait time has dropped WAY down here in Florida... 6-8 weeks and she mentioned it is still dropping... good to know at any rate...

Mike A!
Land O Lakes, FL

#6 ·
To me, that falls into the "no brainer" category! However, he's gotta check what the change would do to his car insurance rates (PA is lower than FL though!). I passed it along. Thanks you very much for your homework and suggestions. He does have a Hunter Safety Card, but I almost think it would behoove him to go to some class to learn about the laws. Nonetheless, I'll talk with him more tomorrow and get him on the right path.

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.