Why CCW is needed on National Park Property

This is a discussion on Why CCW is needed on National Park Property within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We all know the government knows best. All good citizens are safe on National Park property. Or are they? Woman Assaulted At Parkway Overlook (NPS ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why CCW is needed on National Park Property

VIP Member

We all know the government knows best. All good citizens are safe on National Park property. Or are they?

Woman Assaulted At Parkway Overlook (NPS Digest)

There was another assualt this week, at milepost 2 of the Blue Ridge Parkway. No further information is available.

And here are a few more recent ones, but not all-inclusive by any means...

http://home.nps.gov/applications/digest/incidents.cfm

My original post was deleted for a violation of forum rules... my apologies...

Going back to the pertinent portion of the post...
    Is it illegal to carry in all of the National Parks, if so can someone post a link...

Thanks...

Mike A!
    Land O Lakes, FL

sure hope it passes so. that story is one
    of the many reasons to c.c. in the nat. parks.
    right now it's illegal to carry there.
    thats way it's so important that theses bills
    pass. the parks can be just as dangerous
    if not more than being in the city.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

if the criminals choose to take advantage of the parks no-gun zones then it can be even mor dangerous than the city because the police are a lot farther away and you often don't have cell phone coverage to even call for help.

I see both sides of the National Park carry argument and agree absolutely that one should be able to carry for just the reasons that are discussed her, protection from the two legged animals. I do get concerned that there are many that will be very quick on the trigger to kill the four-legged kind either from fear that they might be a danger or even just for fun.

While traveling through the Smoky Mt. NP it used to be very common to see bears. If someone saw one and wanted to have fun and say they killed a bear they could easily try to proclaim that they were just defending themselves. There are a lot of problems with allowing the carry of weapons in the parks. However as some have pointed out you are a long way from help if you really need it and makes it a predators delight.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    While traveling through the Smoky Mt. NP it used to be very common to see bears. If someone saw one and wanted to have fun and say they killed a bear they could easily try to proclaim that they were just defending themselves. There are a lot of problems with allowing the carry of weapons in the parks. However as some have pointed out you are a long way from help if you really need it and makes it a predators delight.
    the hangun vs bear cases I've read about usually involved a 44 mag and 6 rounds from a well practiced shot to drop the bear, even there it wasn't dead.

shooting at a bear with a handgun will most likely make the bear run away or make it come and maul you.

handguns are useful for 2 legged predators, wild dogs, rabid coons, fox etc. and since most people stick to the road surface in parks the most likely use is against attackers of the human variety.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlakrid View Post
    My original post was deleted for a violation of forum rules... my apologies...

Going back to the pertinent portion of the post...
    Is it illegal to carry in all of the National Parks, if so can someone post a link...

Thanks...

Mike A!
    Land O Lakes, FL
    It is illegal to carry in National Parks. However, each park Superintendant can issue a CCW permit for their respective park. However, citizens have a snowball's change in getting one. Its usually reserved for consessiers who deal with register deposits and such.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I see both sides of the National Park carry argument and agree absolutely that one should be able to carry for just the reasons that are discussed her, protection from the two legged animals. I do get concerned that there are many that will be very quick on the trigger to kill the four-legged kind either from fear that they might be a danger or even just for fun.

I hear the argument, but don't necessarily agree. For one, most CCW holders have a strong sense of responsibility and restraint, so I don't feel it is likely to happen often. Around campgrounds, where folks have trained the wildlife with illegal feeding, certainly, there may be some issues with unlicensed folks shooting wildlife. But that will be the exception not the rule.

In the backcountry, most visitors don't get more than 1 mile from the roadway/trailhead, so wildlife issues are not as likely. But 2 legged problems are and issue for many folks who care to venture farther into the backcountry. In no uncertain terms, there will be no law enforcement presence or assistance until AFTER something has happened.

Also, poaching of bears in SNP is very high, and there is a dedicated Federal task force working on that issue. Any fool that shoots a bear with a handgun and survives, may well face some severe prosecution issues.

Take two cats, de-claw and de-fang one of them, then let 'em loose. At some point, the "armed" aggressor will learn the other has no defenses. At some point, the defenseless will succumb to attack.

Take two people (GG, BG), forcibly disarm one of them (the GG), then let 'em loose in the world. Because there are laws against assault and murder, because their are signs saying "No Firearms Allowed," and because it's simply not right to attack others, the BG's conscience will prevail and he will go elsewhere.

Right.

There isn't but one outcome to the reality of a disarmed GG caught by a BG. If disarmed, you have a reduced chance of surviving. It's that simple. As to whether BG's poaching and destroying what's left of wildlife, that's a completely different issue ... and a different group of people who are noted for their disregard of lethal authority already (hence the name "criminals").
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am hopeful that the new rules will allow parks carry. I work and hike quite a bit in S. Arizona including some national parks and wildlife areas and have had many encounters with illegals down there.

This forum occasionally hits upon the topic of wildlife encounters and I am always amazed by the number of people who seem intimidated by wildlife. A very few people do get hurt by wildlife every year, but generally speaking, the backcountry is way safer than most cities are.

It's the two legged varmits you need the CCW for. You have a much better chance of stopping a bear with bear spray than with the average handgun.

TOF
    Fears that wildlife would be devestated by people carrying in parks is baseless. If that were the case our National Forest adjacent to Parks and elsewhere would be void of wildlife.

Bad guys will do bad things in or outside of Parks.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Speaking of the National Parks... what happened to the challenge? I know it is past the 30 days for submissions, so shouldnt the ruling come soon?

Mike A!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    I am hopeful that the new rules will allow parks carry. I work and hike quite a bit in S. Arizona including some national parks and wildlife areas and have had many encounters with illegals down there.

This forum occasionally hits upon the topic of wildlife encounters and I am always amazed by the number of people who seem intimidated by wildlife. A very few people do get hurt by wildlife every year, but generally speaking, the backcountry is way safer than most cities are.

It's the two legged varmits you need the CCW for. You have a much better chance of stopping a bear with bear spray than with the average handgun.
    You make a good point libertarian5. I've spent countless nights in the backcountry of National Parks and hiked many miles. It has been my privilege to have bear encounters, skunks, snakes (poisonous and nonpoisonous), owls, and many other fine examples of wildlife. I've yet to kill anything. Nor would I if allowed to ccw - I would not even clear leather in this type of scenario.

I think they pushed the time for comments back until 31 Aug. Apparently the antis did not sumit enough comments to justify keeping the ban.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    It is illegal to carry in National Parks. However, each park Superintendant can issue a CCW permit for their respective park. However, citizens have a snowball's change in getting one. Its usually reserved for consessiers who deal with register deposits and such.
    Please cite your source for this.

The Superintendent of Glacier National Park says he has no such authority.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Fears that wildlife would be devestated by people carrying in parks is baseless. If that were the case our National Forest adjacent to Parks and elsewhere would be void of wildlife.

Bad guys will do bad things in or outside of Parks.
    You've mad some good points here. BG's do whatever, wherever. CCW holders usually hold to a higher standard.

Stay armed...show responsibility...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links