More Jacksonville, FL citizens packing heat

This is a discussion on More Jacksonville, FL citizens packing heat within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Click here for the link to the story. The Florida Times-Union August 5, 2008 Protection has more people packing heat By MATT COLEMAN, The Times-Union ...

Thread: More Jacksonville, FL citizens packing heat

More Jacksonville, FL citizens packing heat

Click here for the link to the story.
    The Florida Times-Union

August 5, 2008

Protection has more people packing heat

By MATT COLEMAN,
    The Times-Union

In most classes, the teacher doesn't point a gun.

But none of the almost 40 people in a bunker-like back room of the Jacksonville Expo Center at the Fairgrounds even raised an eyebrow when Charlie Berrane calmly aimed and sighted a revolver.

The firearms instructor worked his way methodically through safety tips as he explained the correct way to hold the pistol and squeeze the trigger.

"Do you know the story about the man who brought a knife to a gun fight?" Berrane said. "I want you to win your fights."

Almost 100 people turned out July 19 for two concealed-carry classes at the Jacksonville Gun Show.

Hundreds more milled through rows of bullet-blasting goods in the main vendor's area.

Despite a nationwide economic decline, gun store and range workers say First Coast residents aren't cutting back on self-protection.

Jackie Miller, owner of Bullseye Gun and Pawn, said she has seen increased traffic from gun novices whose interests were piqued by a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that interpreted the Second Amendment and legitimized private gun ownership.

Protection, not recreation

She said most people aren't looking for guns for recreational sport shooting - they want to safeguard themselves from crime. She has tracked a steady 20 percent increase in sales, and all of her concealed-carry classes are full well before registration ends.

Brenda Trickler, business manager at Gateway Rifle and Pistol Club, said her outdoor range is packed every weekend. She said the range has become popular with gun enthusiasts interested more in safety than target practice.

"It's a lot about what people see on the news," Trickler said. "Some people think you can't walk to your car by yourself anymore, and they want protection."

Statistics from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Division of Licensing also show a consistent upward trend in the number of Duval County concealed-carry applications during the past five years. In 2004, Duval County submitted 1,385 applications - sixth highest in the state. In 2008, that number jumped to 4,230, supplanting Hillsborough County as fifth-highest statewide.

Miller said this increased interest is changing the face of her clientele. What used to be a male-dominated culture has increasingly become more coed. Women hold 16 percent of the concealed-carry licenses in Florida, according to the Division of Licensing. But Miller said she thinks the number of women in an average class is more than twice that.

"It's not as man-centric as it used to be," Miller said.

Education for all ages

The faces in Berrane's class reflected the same trend. There was an even distribution of male and female, young and old, experienced and inexperienced. And that's how he likes it.

"These classes are about being prepared, and everyone needs to know that," Berrane said. "Police can't be at your doorstep if there is an emergency, so you might be forced to protect yourself."

A woman standing next to him in a black T-shirt with bold block writing on the back silently reiterates his point:

"I carry a gun cause a police officer is too heavy."

matt.coleman@jacksonville.com, (904) 359-4654
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. Remove Ads

The city of Jacksonville has unfortunately become a very violent place. It is a shame. But it is good to see people getting more serious about protecting themselves.
    Paracord Survival Bracelets & Lanyards. Help us raise awareness and $'s for our Wounded Warriors! Visit www.SurvivalStraps.com

Stopped in Jacksonville on my way to see my dad in Melbourne Beach just a week or so ago. When I asked the desk clerk at the hotel we were checking out of where there was a place to buy a coffee to go she gave me directions. She then said I would tell you to walk but it is "not very safe". I admit I was surprised as the area looked nice. We had eaten at an Applebees the night before just a block away and I checked out the surroundings, as I usually do, and nothing would indicate a troubled area. You just never know but I am glad to see people are taking their self-defense seriously.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Same story in TN. The number of permit applications has greatly increased. We had an issue in Memphis where a guy killed his entire family. (Lester st) Shame.

Most people will blame the economy for the rise in crime but I blame the criminals. I've personally encouraged a few friends to get a handgun, training and a Florida CWL. Some are reluctant but two have gone to the range with me and are taking their CWL class soon. What I tell them is that no matter what neighborhood they live in a criminal does not care if you are rich poor or homeless.
    There are a lot of new CWL holders signing up for this Florida CWL forum too. They have many different stories as to why they now want to carry a gun. There is definitely an increase in concealed carry applications. This is a very good thing .
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by cop2b View Post
    Same story in TN. The number of permit applications has greatly increased. We had an issue in Memphis where a guy killed his entire family. (Lester st) Shame.

What the heck does THAT have to do with concealed carry?

Living in Jacksonville: I carry whenever I am allowed to. I have on average one or two "newsworthy" shootings a year within ear shot and hear gun shots almost daily. BTW: I dont live in the worst part of town.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I think things are like this all over the country right now, especially with economic conditions being a little tough out there.

I know I am thinking about renewing my CHL instructors' license just to cash in.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    Living in Jacksonville: I carry whenever I am allowed to. I have on average one or two "newsworthy" shootings a year within ear shot and hear gun shots almost daily. BTW: I dont live in the worst part of town.
    This says a lot......people just don't realize what is really happening to places in most towns...and it's only going to get worse.
    Can you imagine another multi-city terrorist attack? Even though things would probably be confusing for a short time...the dirtbags could really go wild.

Stay armed...practice...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

fla. carry

glad to hear the good news about fla. residents
    wanting to keep themselves safe.
    mich. apps. are also steadily climbing.
    i finally got a buddy of mine to go after his cpl.
    took me about a yr. and a half. but he's
    signed up for a class later this month.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I use to live in Jacksonville in the 80's and part of the 90's and move further south on the eastern coastline to get out of that mess.

We still have family there, and we're headed that way the end of this month to visit them and go see Kenny Chesney concert. You can bet my Glock 26 will be on my hip.

I read that yesterday in the paper, very neutral-positive considering it's written media.

Slightly off topic but relevent, my co-worker put his paperwork and fingerprints in Jacksonville yesterday. He told me it was a very positive experience in that the JSO officers he talked to (he's also investigating becomming a JSO deputy when he retires next year) were very receptive to citizens getting thier permits. He told me the quote that stood out was a JSO corporal saying to him "....we need to even out the number of gun out on the street" WRT the number of BG's with guns compared to GG's/citizens carrying.

Either way, my buddy's joining the Jacksonville residents with a permit. His journy to the Dark Side is complete!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I am not a big fan of the Jacksonville Sheriffs Office leadership. However, the one thing the Sheriff got right is that they need more officers. Sadly, the city, in particular the mayor, is all about making Jacksonville as cheap as possible. Some banks are now moving call centers from India to Jacksonville, but crime is out of control. Add that Jacksonville's DA is largely considered ineffective, and a lot of the decent rank and file officers fully understand that the citizens are on their own.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I'm glad to see my fellow citizens from N FL taking up the responsibility to protect themselves. I shoot USPSA each month at the local Jacksonville club SEPSA Home page, great group of folks.

The past few months we have had some "action matches" to introduce shooting to those with an interest. We have been pleasantly surprised at the large number of new shooters coming out with an interest at learning to use their firearms.

I just hope all those new ccw holders with take the time to learn to use their weapons effectively
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

i grew up in one of the five boroughs in nyc its the same down there as it is or was in washington dc it is impossible for a law abiding citizen to get a carry permit there, they have always had mayors who were like mayor daily in chicago who think carring a gun will make it like the old west, i would like to see in my lifetime the nra do something to allow new yorkers who live in the city to have the same gun rights as we do here in upstate ny

Links