Maryland CCW

Maryland CCW

This is a discussion on Maryland CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do former/retired police officers automatically qualify for a CCW in Maryland if they are moving there? If you've been employed under 15 years you're not ...

Thread: Maryland CCW

mf [OP]

Maryland CCW

Do former/retired police officers automatically qualify for a CCW in Maryland if they are moving there?

If you've been employed under 15 years you're not covered by LEOSA.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Not only do they not get them automatically, they don't get them period. Being retired law enforcement is not considered "justifiable need" by the State of Maryland. When I was a cop in Maryland, I had a buddy who was a state certified police officer working for a specialized agency that prohibited off-duty carry. He tried to get a permit from the State Police and it was denied. And he was an actual, working, state certified cop. So, I'm afraid retired guys who don't qualify under LEOSA are out-of-luck.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I have been debating for the last year to make a move to Maryland to be closer to family but I would like the option of being able to carry if I do so. I am going up in the summer of 2009 and trying to become a seasonal officer in Ocean City to see how I like it. Do you have to "know" somebody to be able to get a permit? Or do you need a really good reason like somebody is trying to kill you? If all else fails, I'll just move to Virginia lol
    Springfield 1911A1, Ruger GP100 .357 mag, Glock 17, Ruger Vaquero .44 mag

mf [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Not only do they not get them automatically, they don't get them period. Being retired law enforcement is not considered "justifiable need" by the State of Maryland. When I was a cop in Maryland, I had a buddy who was a state certified police officer working for a specialized agency that prohibited off-duty carry. He tried to get a permit from the State Police and it was denied. And he was an actual, working, state certified cop. So, I'm afraid retired guys who don't qualify under LEOSA are out-of-luck.
    Gonzo
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by mf View Post
    Do former/retired police officers automatically qualify for a CCW in Maryland if they are moving there?

If you've been employed under 15 years you're not covered by LEOSA.
    You may want to check if there's a state loophole on that. I've been researching other states(namely NJ, equally notorious for CCWs) and some have their own version of LEOSA which may allow you to qualify with something less than the 15 years of service
    If they don't have a loophole I recommend you fight regardless. Things ain't gonna change by just assuming you won't get one.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by Strokin99 View Post
    I have been debating for the last year to make a move to Maryland to be closer to family but I would like the option of being able to carry if I do so. I am going up in the summer of 2009 and trying to become a seasonal officer in Ocean City to see how I like it. Do you have to "know" somebody to be able to get a permit? Or do you need a really good reason like somebody is trying to kill you? If all else fails, I'll just move to Virginia lol
    There's Delaware if you want to be near Ocean City.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Maryland is slowly starting to come around. As I understand it last time they talked about "shall issue" in Annapolis the state police were there just providing statistics. In the past they had been actively working against any change.

If there is nothing in your background that would look negative, you might be the perfect person to sort of push them over the edge. If you can find a lawyer to represent you cheap/free, you could apply, and if denied sue based on Heller. IIRC the wording was "such as in the home". It did not limit us by saying "while in the home".
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

maryland is extremely difficult to get a CCW in because it is not an objective yes/no - the way the law is written people may be elligable but if they don't want to issue a ccw they don't have to. (atleast thats the way i read it)

I love where I love, but there have been many times I've wanted to move to another state because of Marylands fascist leaning government.

Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    maryland is extremely difficult to get a CCW in because it is not an objective yes/no - the way the law is written people may be elligable but if they don't want to issue a ccw they don't have to. (atleast thats the way i read it)
    You're reading it right. MD is a "may issue" state, one of the 8 or 10 (see Handgunlaw.us). I've read accounts of people who've successfully obtained an MD CCW by proving (with deposit slips) they work in a cash business and frequently carry deposits, or people who can document threats on their life.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

yup, MD CCW is almost an oxymoron because of the difficulty of getting the permit to carry. I second rmarkob's observation that people can get CCW there.

I am not surprised that the MD gov't doesn't really care that you are in former LE when considering issuing permits. the state is becoming like San Francisco in its policies.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

I have a post going asking "What would you pay to be able to carry in all 50 states."

I lived in MD for 20 years. Only people carrying guns in MD are cops and criminals. In PG county the criminals carrying outnumber the cops. Quite ironic. I moved to PA recently and got a LCTF easily. I could have used it more in MD as I wouldn't go to my car after dark but in PA I walk the dogs at midnight, leave my doors unlocked and do not feel the need to carry anywhere near as I did in Maryland. The irony is killing me here.

One thing about the free state, maryland, their MD constitution has no 2nd ammendment right to bear arms. Quite different from PA and other states which copied or more clearly defined the right to keep and bear arm. Though maybe the Heller decision will make them see the point a little clearer. However, I never saw MD leaning or moving toward a pro 2a direction. They actually have a body that approves what kind of handguns the people are allowed to buy and were pushing for allowing, once technologically feasible, only guns with some type of biometrics that would allow only the owner to shoot them.

Do yourself a favor and move to VA.

Maryland, The Peoples Republik of

I lived in the so called "Free State" of Maryland for 50 years, only recently moving to Florida.
    The Maryland political scene is moving left toward states like New York, New Jersey and Mass. Maryland's local politicians think Obama is the chosen one to lead us to the promised land.
    Now that I live in Florida, I truely live in a Free State. I only wish I had moved here years ago.

I left MD in 1989 for Colorado and actually left my former employer to keep from moving back!! Too left of center for me. Maybe some day they will change.

Sponsored Links