Handgunlaw.us

This is a discussion on Handgunlaw.us within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My sister and I are planning to take a trip through most of the Southeastern United States next spring. I checked Handgunlaw.us for reciprocity and ...

Thread: Handgunlaw.us

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Handgunlaw.us

My sister and I are planning to take a trip through most of the Southeastern United States next spring. I checked Handgunlaw.us for reciprocity and it seems the only Southern state that doesn't honor Alaska's permit is West Virginia. Are they pretty up to date on the reciprocity, or should I look elsewhere for more accurate information?

Another thing I'm sort of worried about is putting my handgun in my checked baggage, and having it lost or stolen. I would like to think most airlines are pretty good about preventing guns from going missing. For those of you who travel frequently, have you had pretty good luck with getting your gun through?

I think the states we'll be going through are TN, MS, FL, VA, OH, and MO, and finally DC (I know I can't take my gun into DC). Should I check each state's carry laws?
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    If someone knows or suspects you've got a gun in your luggage, it's a pretty safe bet, I'd think, that your gun will be "lost in transit".

You might look up the provisions of the Gun Owners' Protection Act, a federal statute, that provides that travelers carrying guns in a way that's legitimate in both the home and destination states cannot be the subject of criminal charges or seizures in the states in between, regardless of their laws. I don't recall what the specifics are, though, about whether and how you have to pack the gun away.

You can also ship the guns to yourself, long guns can be mailed, and handguns and short rifles and shotguns have to be sent by common carrier.

Also, take a look at this summary of WV handgun law:
    http://www.wvago.gov/pdf/brochures/2007_gunlicense.pdf

WV does not have a provision for a nonresident license.

Here's a comment from the W.Va. State Police:

"...West Virginia permits anyone who can lawfully possess a handgun to carry an unconcealed handgun. If you choose to carry an unconcealed handgun in your vehicle and are stopped by a law-enforcement officer, you must understand that that the weapon will immediately attract the attention of the police officer. The presence of the weapon may lead to action by the officer to ensure his or her safety such as the drawing of his or her weapon, ordering you from the vehicle, and/or performing a pat-down search. Weapons intended for hunting must be unloaded and in a case when transported in a vehicle. It is strongly recommended that, if you do not have a valid concealed carry permit, while traveling in a vehicle, that all firearms be unloaded and cased in a location in the vehicle that is not readily accessible to any of the occupants. Any ammunition should be stored in a separate location from the firearm. "
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Should you check each states carry laws? Yes, definately.

There are subtel differences in each state, some you can carry in churches, other no, some is ok in restaurants with alcohol, others not. Your going to be going through too many states not to check in my opinion.

Enjoy your trip.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    ...Another thing I'm sort of worried about is putting my handgun in my checked baggage, and having it lost or stolen. I would like to think most airlines are pretty good about preventing guns from going missing. For those of you who travel frequently, have you had pretty good luck with getting your gun through?...
    There are some airports which have bad luck as far as losing handguns goes. Philadelphia & JFK have been documented here on this forum.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I have one of those small metal lock box gun safes that I can use to transport my gun through, it says its TSA approved. Our destination is Memphis, so there's almost no chance of going to Philly or JFK (unless of course the plane gets diverted to either of those airports for any reason). Anyway, I still have awhile to get things planned out. I will check each state's carry laws for sure.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I have one of those small metal lock box gun safes that I can use to transport my gun through, it says its TSA approved. Our destination is Memphis, so there's almost no chance of going to Philly or JFK (unless of course the plane gets diverted to either of those airports for any reason). Anyway, I still have awhile to get things planned out. I will check each state's carry laws for sure.
    As a member here who lives in the Memphis area, let me be the first to welcome you to the great state of Tennessee!

When are you going to be here?

As for handgunlaw.us, I have always found it to be a good site and very up-to-date.

I have flown several times with my gun in my checked baggage. I have found the best way to handle it is to arrive early, have a copy of the TSA rules for a firearm in checked baggage and a copy of the particular airline's rules for a firearm in checked baggage with you at the time you check the bag a declare the firearm.

A little tip, when they ask you if there is anything to declare, do not say "I have a gun." They frown on that. Just state in a neutral tone, "I wish to declare that I have an unloaded firearm in my checked bag and it is a loaded, hard sided case with the ammo separate." This will tend to freak the TSA folks out less.

Also, the best bet is to keep the ammo in the box it was purchased in, not in the magazines. Some airlines and some TSA personnel consider the gun loaded if the ammo is still in the mags even if they are not in the gun.

Just to be sure, I also strip the slide off the gun. This also seems to put the less gun savvy TSA agents at ease.

Good luck and please, if you have any questions about the TSA folks or about Memphis at all, PM me. i will be happy to help any way I can!

Mike
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I will be in Memphis sometime in April or May of next year. My sister and I are going to be doing a road trip through the South as that is where we used to live, and I'd like to go back to visit. I'm really looking forward to a much needed vacation, but prefer not to be without my sidearm!

I used to live in Shelby County from 1993-1996, kind of curious as to how much it changed since.

Taking You Gun On The Plane

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
    2. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
      • Determine if the ammo MUST be in boxes OR can fly in loaded magazines.
      • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazines.
      • The round from the pipe(s) must be in a box, not loose.
    3. Secure and protect magazines and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
    4. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in. The labeling should be limited to:
      • Your Name
      • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
      • Your personal email address - if you have one
      • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
    5. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
    6. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
    7. Make sure you have the keys to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case
      • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in
      • if the TSA wants to see.
    8. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
      • airline
      • FAA Regional Office
      • ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1. Check Handgunlaw.us to determine:
      • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops.
      • Where and how you can carry at all your stops.
      • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting.
    2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourR...s%20letter.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.
    Last edited by GHFLRLTD; August 6th, 2008 at 05:28 AM.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

I will be in Memphis sometime in April or May of next year. My sister and I are going to be doing a road trip through the South as that is where we used to live, and I'd like to go back to visit. I'm really looking forward to a much needed vacation, but prefer not to be without my sidearm!

I used to live in Shelby County from 1993-1996, kind of curious as to how much it changed since.
    I guarantee you it has changed more than you will be able to believe! e have only lived here for 3 years and it has changed more than I could have possibly imagined.

PM me and tell me where specifically you lived in Shelby County (or tell me here if you want) and I will tell you how much it has changed. Did you live in Memphis city limits or out in the County? We live in Arlington, right on the Shelby/Fayette County line. This little town has gotten much bigger just in the last 3 years.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Don't visit Shelby County without a gun. The good news is that no one really cares.

Oh yeah.... welcome to West Tennessee, even though I hate to admit that Memphis is part of WT.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
    Unless something has changed since last May, TSA locks are not only allowed but encouraged. I traveled with two handguns from Knoxville to Phoenix and used TSA locks on my gun case and suitcase and everything was cool.
    See the link below:

TSA: Protect Your Property
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.

Unless something has changed since last May, TSA locks are not only allowed but encouraged. I traveled with two handguns from Knoxville to Phoenix and used TSA locks on my gun case and suitcase and everything was cool.
    As the FAA rule states in Section c

(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under 1562.23 of this chapter:

(1) Any loaded firearm(s).

(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—

(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;

(ii) The firearm is unloaded;

(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and

(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The TSA controls access into the sterile area, but the FAA is responsible for airport/aircraft area security and safety. The TSA people just want you to think they can do what they want.

Remember, if the weapon disappears, you contact the:

1. Airline
    2. FAA Regional Center
    3. ATF Regional Center

not the TSA. The FAA will deal with the TSA first, then the ATF will get involved. The airline is accountable to the FAA - not the TSA.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

GHFLRLTD,
    I defer to your superior knowledge on the subject of TSA Locks as is obvious from the references you give. Before I left on my trip in May I thought I had researched everything but somehow the requirement that only the passenger retain the key or combination for the lock on the actual gun case itself escaped me.
    Its surprizing to me that the airlines did not catch what I had done and give me some grief for it but as I said, everything went smooth for me on my trip. As a matter of fact, when checking in at Phoenix, the TSA guy asked me to open the suitcase so he could see the gun case and asked me if that was a TSA lock on it. I said yes. He never batted an eye and sent me on my way.
    Thanks for straightening me out.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Links