Northern Virginians

Northern Virginians

This is a discussion on Northern Virginians within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't know where to post this... I've seen so many people from PWC and Fairfax or the like, and wonder where you all go to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Northern Virginians

Don't know where to post this...

I've seen so many people from PWC and Fairfax or the like, and wonder where you all go to shoot? I would love to go to Blue Ridge, but memberships are pricey. Clark Bros. is a little out of the way and their ammunition choices are limited. I guess there's always the NRA.
    Any advice on a good place to make home?
    Having a rifle range over 100 yards would be a plus, but is not necessary.
    So where do y'all make noise?

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar

New Member Array 82Airborne45ACP's Avatar

Where to Shoot.....

Well.... I live in Warrenton, va and I've been to most of the ranges in Northern Virginia. The Range in Staffort was cool, Clark Brothers is not too bad, Blue Ridge in Chantilly is one of the better ranges. The NRA range is good and you can shoot rifles. Isaic Walton off of route 28 is a good out door range, but you have to be a member, just like NRA. I quess if I had to pick, I like out door ranges because I shoot pistols and rifles, so I would go with Isaic Walton. But If you are looking for a good in door range, that maybe tough because most only allow you to shoot pistols. The NRA range lets you shoot both, you just have to become an NRA member. Most of the ranges in Northern Va are a little pricy, but you have to pay to play.

VIP Member
    The Izaak Walton league in Leesburg has a very nice range. It's just south of Leesburg on 15. Too far for you?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    This place looks pretty cool, looks like they have good prices on ammo too. How is the staff/store?

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The Izaak Walton league in Leesburg has a very nice range. It's just south of Leesburg on 15. Too far for you?
    Another one I hadn't heard of. Is it really on $36 for a membership?

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    This place looks pretty cool, looks like they have good prices on ammo too. How is the staff/store?
    They're OK. Reload costs are reasonable. They have several dozen rental pistols also full auto rentals.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Rifle, ranges you also have Quantico Marine Base.

There is suppose to be a new range opening in Leesburg out by Dulles by the first of the year owned by MVM. Also, I have heard rumors that Shooters paradise will be coming back.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Another one I hadn't heard of. Is it really on $36 for a membership?
    No. Of your membership $36 is for the National IWLA. The chapter adds its own dues to the national dues. Right now they are signing you up through the end of the year for half price. I think that is around $70.

Membership | Loudoun County Chapter | LCCIWLA

There is an outdoor 12 lane rifle pistol range to 100 yds, a skeet field, archery both fixed distance and 3D, a pond, campsites, pavilions and a club house that are for the members use. They expect 9 hours of service to the club or a fine equal to half one year's dues. That goes to maintaining the capital assets.

You would need to go out there this coming Monday to sign up and they have the orientation class the Saturday following.

The IWLA chapter off Rte 28 has a membership cap which they reached in May.

Arlington Fairfax Chapter, Inc., Izaak Walton League of America

They typically cap out in April or May so if you are interested in that one get your app in early. They are similar to the Loudoun (Leesburg) chapter except they have multiple skeet and trap fields. They also don't permit shooting on the rifle pistol range at any distance less than 25 yds. The Loudoun Chapter allows down to 7 yds.

If you have any questions you can PM me. I am a member of both chapters.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Rifle, ranges you also have Quantico Marine Base.

There is suppose to be a new range opening in Leesburg out by Dulles by the first of the year owned by MVM. Also, I have heard rumors that Shooters paradise will be coming back.

Unless you're a Marine, the Quantico ranges are off limits to civilians not in the Gun Club and there's a long waiting list. Sorry.

The Shooters Paradise web site states they are not coming back. sorry.

I live in Stafford and frequent "The Range"...staff is ok. I usually bring my own ammo. It works in a pinch.

I just tried Blue Ridge Arsenal on Tuesday...very personable people (I met Mark), nice range (you can shoot rifle, pistols, and shotgun), pretty good store. I'm not a member--as much as I like to shoot, I can't justify ~$30/month for a membership. When I was there, I bought 4 targets, plus brought my own, spent an hour there and it came to $22. I didn't have to wait, and pretty much had the place to myself. I have not shot there over the weekend.

The Alexandria Issac Walton League is in Stafford (believe it or not), off of Route 610 (about 10 miles from I-95). How to Find Us I will probably become a member there when I come back from my deployment.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Yup. Me too. I try to go once or twice a month. Nice place. And I like the two gentlemen running it.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Unless you're a Marine, the Quantico ranges are off limits to civilians not in the Gun Club and there's a long waiting list. Sorry.

The Shooters Paradise web site states they are not coming back. sorry.
    A quick trip to Ft. Meyer gets me a military ID (dependent), will this let me play ball at Quantico?

A quick trip to Ft. Meyer gets me a military ID (dependent), will this let me play ball at Quantico?
    Yes.

According to the Quantico Shooting Club by-laws, the Board of Directors may approve Quantico Shooting Club, Inc membership for U.S. citizens, who are legally eligible to possess or use firearms (individually or with adult supervision), in the following categories:

Regular. Any member of the Marines, Armed Forces, Regular, Reserve or Retired, or any dependent family member of the same, or any DOD employee or retiree. Former POWs, Purple Heart recipients, and veterans who served in combat zones, who are not eligible to become regular members, will be considered regular members for the purpose of holding office and voting. However, these members will not be considered military or DoD members for Club ratio purposes. Members must be stationed or reside within a radius of sixty (60) miles of Marine Corps Base, Quantico, Virginia . Regular membership in the QSC, Inc may not be extended beyond the general vicinity of Quantico.
    Quantico Shooting Club
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    The info posted is all correct. The problem you'll face is the waiting list to join the Club, not your eligibility. It's worth a phone call to find out though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links