Traveling to Kentucky

This is a discussion on Traveling to Kentucky within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey ya'll... Next week, with any luck, I am taking a small trip to Leitchfield, Kentucky... Any pertinant info that I need to know before ...

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Traveling to Kentucky

  1. #1
    Member Array KG4ZRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    on the way to PRK
    Posts
    305

    Traveling to Kentucky

    Hey ya'll...

    Next week, with any luck, I am taking a small trip to Leitchfield, Kentucky... Any pertinant info that I need to know before going?

    It looks like Alabama, Tenessee, and Kentucky all honor the Florida permit, but just want to make sure there are no hidden quirks to the local laws... You know, just to be safe.

    Also, any info on the area would be helpful...

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array NCHornet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mt Airy, NC
    Posts
    2,156
    Google Kentucky gun laws, this info is to important to trust someone on a internet forum. Have a good trip.

    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array JohnKelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    554
    Kentucky is one of the most gun-friendly states you'll ever visit. That said, there are a few restrictions:

    Kentucky State Police: Concealed Deadly Weapons

    A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:

    * Police station or sheriff's office.
    * Detention facility, prison or jail.
    * Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
    * County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
    * Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
    * General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
    * Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
    * Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
    * Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
    * Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
    * Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.

    Enjoy your stay in KY!

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array tns0038's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,163
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    Kentucky is one of the most gun-friendly states you'll ever visit. That said, there are a few restrictions:

    Kentucky State Police: Concealed Deadly Weapons

    A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:

    * Police station or sheriff's office.
    * Detention facility, prison or jail.
    * Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
    * County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
    * Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
    * General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
    * Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
    * Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
    * Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
    * Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
    * Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.

    Enjoy your stay in KY!
    Sounds very simular to Florida..

  6. #5
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    Just to add. You can also open carry without a permit ( 18 yrs old ). You do not have to inform. Enjoy your stay. We're very gun friendly.

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,933
    We went to KY in May for the NRA convention. I was pleased to find out that KY is one of the least restrictive on guns in the U.S.

    Here is a link.

    They honor all state permits, carry in your car is ok w/o a permit as long as it's in plain view, and it has castle doctrine. As for off limits its the usual suspects, schools, courthouses etc... Restaurant carry with alcohol is OK. Enjoy your trip its a nice state for both you and your gun

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,155
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

  9. #8
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    We went to KY in May for the NRA convention. I was pleased to find out that KY is one of the least restrictive on guns in the U.S.

    Here is a link.

    They honor all state permits, carry in your car is ok w/o a permit as long as it's in plain view, and it has castle doctrine. As for off limits its the usual suspects, schools, courthouses etc... Restaurant carry with alcohol is OK. Enjoy your trip its a nice state for both you and your gun
    It's also ok to carry in the glove box ( loaded ) without a permit as long as you are 18 or over.... Gotta love this state...

  10. #9
    Senior Member Array Andy W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    That's a handy tool! I clicked on IL's CCW legal page and saw this:

    Frequently Asked CCW Questions:

    Can I defend my self in Illinois?
    Wait for the State Police after the robbery or rape has occurred
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

    The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

  11. #10
    Member Array KG4ZRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    on the way to PRK
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Google Kentucky gun laws, this info is to important to trust someone on a internet forum. Have a good trip.

    NCH
    You betcha on that one... But the poeple that live it day to day have good knowledge that can't be beat (like on the grey areas).

  12. #11
    Member Array Roy Bean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    24
    Enjoy your trip to Leitchfield!!!
    KY has very reasonable gun laws, with a CCW Lic your good anywhere but a school or Gov't building. Without a CCW keep it visible and you are okay as well.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Traveling thru Kentucky, Indiana, and Missouri - anti gun signs
    By ctr in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM
  2. Traveling thru PA
    By TonyB in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: October 10th, 2008, 08:52 PM
  3. Traveling to Kentucky - need resources
    By HKP30 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM
  4. Traveling from PA to ME
    By Pro2A in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: March 13th, 2008, 10:39 PM
  5. Traveling to KY thru TN
    By JR-Ewing in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: September 14th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Search tags for this page

john kelly north carolina ccw
,
property off limit to firearms in kentucky
,
tn resident traveling to ky has gun permit
,
travaling from kentucky to flordia with handgun
,

traveling kentucky carrying a firearm

,
traveling kentucky with a weapon
,
traveling through kentucky with handgun
,
traveling thru ky with a gun
,
traveling with handgun permit thru kentucky
,
traveling with tn handgun permit through ky
,
travleing from florida to kentucky with a fire arm
,

we live in tn., we will be traveling thru kentucky and indiana, do we need a permit to carry a ccw, we do have ccw permi

Click on a term to search for related topics.