Should I let close family know I carry

This is a discussion on Should I let close family know I carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been reading this thread on the forum and I need your opinions. I have been carrying for a while now. A few friends ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I let close family know I carry

I have been reading this thread on the forum and I need your opinions. I have been carrying for a while now. A few friends who also carry know that I carry. Now my close family members don't know I even own a gun. My mom and dad live in NYC and my brother lives here in Florida. I want to get a feel for what you guys think. Should I let them them know that I carry a gun. My brother is a good Christian and even sings on the church choir. He is the one that I thought about telling first because he has a family and I just think he should at least have a gun at home to protect them. Should I invite him over and show him my gun or should I tell him over the phone or should I leave him alone and not tell him.

As far as mom and dad is concerned I don't think I should even bother partly because they live in a city that's so anti-gun and I don't know what kind of propoganda they have been fed.

What do you guys think?
    NRA Member

If it comes up, it comes up...but I wouldn't go out of my way to tell anyone. This will come about in and of itself if the conversation centers on increasing crime...feel out the situation

Stay armed...concealed is concealed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like a good idea to me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

someone here has a signature that is your answer. " always carry ....never tell"!!
    no such thing as "knock down power"......
    only "knock down accuracy"!!
    lawyers are the only ones counting the misses ACCURACY FIRST!!

Yes, it will come up on its own eventually.

Suggestion for your brother, invite him shooting. Why tell him over the phone or whatever when you can take him shooting. Then you will know if he has any interest in owning a gun or not. If not, no harm no fowl, if he does then your on your way to teaching him some handling and shooting techniques and may get the ball rolling.

As for your parents, if it comes up, so be it. If you think they will freak about it, no sense in putting something out there now and getting them in a dither about it. If they come to visit or find out some other way, well deal with it then.

Good luck with your descision.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Tell as few people as possible and if not necessary, keep it to yourself.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

I think you will be the best judge of whether or not it will be useful to let them know. I deliberately chose the word useful - if there is no utility in letting them know it's in your best interest to keep it to yourself. Most murders are committed by family, friends and acquaintances so keeping your status to yourself may prove to be an invaluable tactical advantage should the unthinkable unfurl before you. You may consider weighing that issue against the value of your family knowing. My wife is a decent shooter, father is ex-military, brother is a deputy... they all know I carry because I am willing to exchange the small tactical advantage of surprise should the SHTF within my clan for the tactical advantage of my family knowing there's an extra gun available should the SHTF from outside my clan.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

tell the fam.???

Quote Originally Posted by PileofBrass View Post
    someone here has a signature that is your answer. " always carry ....never tell"!!
    thats thumper, good advice.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Do any of them have a need (not merely a desire) to know?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Do any of them have a need (not merely a desire) to know?
    No. But I have been able to talk to my brother about anything while growing up together. I'm a little more handy than he is and so I will on occasion go to his house to fix a garbage disposal or anything he might need help with but I've never told him that I carry. I think that with me acquiring more and more knowledge about firearms and safety somehow makes me want to share with him this new found information.
    NRA Member

You know them better than us. My family knows - because we are close, and even if someone disagreed, everything would still be ok. We have democrats and republicans - we all have our own opinions - and we are still a close family. So as I said - you know them. If they request for you not to carry in their homes - I would respect their wishes.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    unless he needs to know , why would you tell him ? or anyone for that matter
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

my advice is to just let you wife and kids know, everyone else does NOT need to know my friend!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    No. But I have been able to talk to my brother about anything while growing up together. I'm a little more handy than he is and so I will on occasion go to his house to fix a garbage disposal or anything he might need help with but I've never told him that I carry. I think that with me acquiring more and more knowledge about firearms and safety somehow makes me want to share with him this new found information.
    I've read a few of these types of threads before. My replies I'd guess depended a little bit on my mood at the time....seriousness, or joviality. Thing is that I've never quite understood the psychological 'push' for one to spill the beans, or feel the need to 'tell'. The only reason I can think of that would be viable would be a case of guilt somehow. In some form, some folks seem to think they are too secretive, or pulling one over on their immediate or well-know contacts in life, or family. There has to be a certain sense of guilt coming from somewhere, or a little doubt in your mind that you are indeed doing the right thing, or fringing your own moral bounds by doing what you do. We all change. Our family changes. People change due to circumstances or experiences when they don't change of their own free will. I'm sort of weird in a way....I actually (undeniably)-with all seriousness..................trust nobody. Some may think that's a hard way to go through life. So be it. We all make our own decisions. We do what we need to do, and sometimes it's spur of the moment, or well thought out. In your case...go with your gut instinct. I know it's hard sometimes---I should have went with my gut instinct yesterday-but thought I knew better (seriously). It was trivial nonetheless. Funny thing is, I've given alot of definitive answers on this forum, and for the life of me, I can't tell you exactly what to do in your position (or the position you've put yourself in for one reason or another). You, and you alone are going to be the judge on this one. Tell us your best reason to tell your brother. If you need to think about this more than ten seconds, then I would re-assess. A good solid reason. To benefit you, or him? I'm leaving you with it.... I think I've rambled on enough and using up precious web-space. I know you'll do what's best for all involved.

I think I would keep it quiet, theres no point in telling anyone. Unless, your worried someone may find your weapon and become upset.
    Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm
    Beretta 92FS 9mm
    Browning Buckmark 22LR
    Ruger Mark III Dexlue Competition Model 22LR.
    1911 Soon.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links