Carry Permit out of state resident? well sorta of.

Carry Permit out of state resident? well sorta of.

This is a discussion on Carry Permit out of state resident? well sorta of. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I go to school in arkansas and live there eight months out of the year. I am also a member of the Army National guard ...

New Member Array Infantrymen39th's Avatar

Question Carry Permit out of state resident? well sorta of.

I go to school in arkansas and live there eight months out of the year. I am also a member of the Army National guard in arkansas. Im from oklahoma though. Here is my question, would i be considered a resident of arkansas and eligible for a permit? Thanks

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret

I don't know how you couldn't be considered an Arkansas resident.
    Last edited by JD; August 9th, 2008 at 09:39 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

where to get permit??

welcome from s.e. michigan. can't answer your
    permit question. but right now areyou stationed at ft.sill
    for training??? srent three yrs. there. just was curious.
    sounds to me like you might legally be okla. resident.
    would be worth cheching out though.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Infantrymen39th View Post
    I go to school in arkansas and live there eight months out of the year. I am also a member of the Army National guard in arkansas. Im from oklahoma though. Here is my question, would i be considered a resident of arkansas and eligible for a permit? Thanks
    Well, are you a resident of Arkansas or a resident of Oklahoma?

What state are you registered to vote in?
    What state do you have your drivers license in?
    What state do you pay state income taxes to?
    What state is your vehicle registered/insured at?

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Being in school does not make you a resident of a state.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

If you have a apartment or dorm in your name, have a DL from that state, receive a power bill etc.... you are a resident of that state. Most states want you to actually live there a certain amount of time, certainly 8 months out of the year would qualify. I say go apply.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Being in the military you home of record is your residence state. But you can always change your home of record.

VIP Member
    Simple way to figure it out. Do you pay resident tuition at the school you go to or out of state tuition. If you are paying the resident rate you are a Arkansas resident.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

Resident Tuition/ out of state tuition/ and residence

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Simple way to figure it out. Do you pay resident tuition at the school you go to or out of state tuition. If you are paying the resident rate you are a Arkansas resident.
    One thing usually has nothing much to do with the other.

Usually, to get in-state tuition you must have lived in a place for at least one year; sometimes there is a requirement that you worked in the state after you moved there, or that your parents also moved there. The schools are fairly tight on who they will consider a resident for in-state tuition purposes.

DL residence requirements, and voter registration requirements are much shorter; usually if you live in a state for 25-30 days (depending on state) you must get that state's DL and register your car there.

Of course, this gets really complicated with people who move around a lot, snow birds, and so forth. This is yet another area where the law and reality don't really keep up with each other.

I would say that if you physically live (sleep) in a state for 30 days, you are probably required to get your DL in that state. With DL showing you as living at an address in a particular state, you can claim that as your state of residence. Get a voter registration card, and you will be good to go. The school still won't give you in-state tuition rates. To get those, you would have to drop out of school, continue to live and work in Arkansas--probably for a minimum of a year, maybe two.

Don't rely on stuff like where income taxes are filed; there are funky things that happen. California used to (maybe still does) require people getting pensions from California companies (because they worked in Cal) to pay income taxes on the pension, even though they lived elsewhere after they retired. I think that went to the SC, but don't know what the ruling was.

There are all sorts of crazy things with regard to issues of domicile, residence, and so on. It is very confusing, and you won't get a straight answer from anyone, and not one that you can take to the bank.

If you want an Arkansas CC license (do they not accept your OK license?) I think you should just go ahead and apply-- assuming you have actually slept in Arkansas for 30 consecutive days and are still living there. If you are lucky, they will define "residence" on their application somewhere so you will be able to figure out the answer to your question.

You can legally have more than one concealed handgun license in most places, unlike DLs, where for some reason you can only have one at a time.

IF unsure what to do, ask the issuing Agency. Probably they won't even reply, but they might.

This stuff is a mess. I once read about a guy who didn't know what to do because both Wisconsin and Minnesota were demanding that he get his DL and insurance in their state--as he had property in both and slept in one or the other (border area) depending on the night. So the cops in MN would see his truck with Wisconsin plates and ticket him. Then the Wisconsin cops would see his truck with MN plates and ticket him. The judges in both places were unhelpful and unsympathetic.

Links