Arizona Stop and DL Linkage

This is a discussion on Arizona Stop and DL Linkage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I got stopped on my way home from Albuquerque two days ago on I-17 southbound. "Illegal tint." Anyway, rather than just have another thread ...

Thread: Arizona Stop and DL Linkage

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Arizona Stop and DL Linkage

So I got stopped on my way home from Albuquerque two days ago on I-17 southbound. "Illegal tint." Anyway, rather than just have another thread about how nice the officer was (though he was a very friendly gentleman), I had some questions about some of the things he said.

Before I had gotten a chance to inform him I was armed, the officer asked me where my weapon was. I was a little baffled how he knew but I told him, obviously. So he wrote me my ticket but I was horribly curious because I was wearing a Crossbreed and it was well concealed (especially if he had to ask). So the question I asked him was "How did you know I was armed? Are the carry permits linked to license plates?" His answers, I thought, merited a post.

The first thing he said was "No, they aren't." He went on to explain that permits issued before a certain day some years ago were grandfathered and were still linked to plates or something along those lines. He said that there had been some kind of lawsuit that put a stop to that. Does anyone here in AZ know what he was speaking to?

Obviously, I was still curious about how he knew because he said I didn't fall within those dates. He said he knew after two questions because of my responses and some other cues. The officer explained that permit holders, in his experience, are far different stops ("Night and Day difference") from anyone else. They are always very polite, keep their hands visible and have everything organized. I was a little surprised but.. I guess I shouldn't have been. I was wondering, for the officers on this board, if this has been a common thing with you all too? I'm sure there are the odd ones out there that are just meaner than a junkyard dog but has this been your experience too?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

In some states it is linked to your DL but not here in NC. Sounds like you came across a very keen officer who picked up on some behaviors. Not that I would change anything, sorry you got the ticket, I too have illegal tint on my windows, 5%.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I am sure that you have a Dr. note at home somewhere in one of you draws that explains the medical condition that you have and the window tint is a must. This letter exempts you from having a illegal tint on you windows. Side note. When the LEO pulls you over and the car has power windows you should open all 4 windows, so LEO can see it to the vehicle more clearing as he approaches. Also if the traffice stop happens at night do not forget to turn on the interior light. Was their something else about the car that the LEO zeroed in on before the traffic stop. LOUD radio, LOUD muffler ? Both?

Here in NC my permit # is the same as my DL # with a
    NC on the end for the number.

I think it would be EZ for the state to have that NC on the
    end of the number to show up on the cops computer when he pulls up your tag #.
    If the car is in your name ,your DL # would show an NC on it
    and this would tell them you are carrying.

I DON,T KNOW THIS,but it sound like the cop that stopped you did
    know and did that to get you off guard
    you see ,you did not protest getting the ticket did you?
    it made his job EZ.

think about it.
    Sneaky little
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

In my part of Georgia

When the police run your DL, If you have a permit it will come back and dispatch tells the officer you have a CCL. Not sure about other states or other counties in GA but Catoosa County dispatch will give DL info and CCL info if you have one.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Since you were cited for illegal tint, must you now get the tint removed? How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Since you were cited for illegal tint, must you now get the tint removed? How does that work?
    You spend needless $$$...

To the OP, sorry about the ticket...sounds like a chicken ticket to me...OMO.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    In Nevada your permit is linked to your License Plate. I believe it depends on which system your LE is using to run checks.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

As I understand it, in Colorado you come up on the computer as a "person of interest - CCW". We aren't required to inform, but I always have.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

From what I was told that no the DL/CCW is no longer linked with the plate. They can run the plate and get the registered owner of course then run the registered owner into to the computer system. But when they run your DL after a stop from what I was told is most of the major agencies will have the DL linked to your CCW. As we are always told in AZ that its better to right off the bat tell them you have a CCW and if you are armed or not, so they officer doesnt go back to the car run it and find the possibility of being armed and get upset and come charging back with his/her glock out upset.

That's odd! A good buddy of mine has been a Deputy here in AZ for many years. I even went to my CCW class with his wife. I was told that the plates are linked to CCW. I think the LEO that stopped you was trying to impress.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    I am sure that you have a Dr. note at home somewhere in one of you draws that explains the medical condition that you have and the window tint is a must. This letter exempts you from having a illegal tint on you windows. Side note. When the LEO pulls you over and the car has power windows you should open all 4 windows, so LEO can see it to the vehicle more clearing as he approaches. Also if the traffice stop happens at night do not forget to turn on the interior light. Was their something else about the car that the LEO zeroed in on before the traffic stop. LOUD radio, LOUD muffler ? Both?
    Florida like a bunch of other states have the CCL linked to our driver license.

As to the window tint, about a year ago, my wife got a ticket for the darkness of her windows. 20% If we removed the tinting, and took it by a state trooper station to prove it they would remove the points but we still had to pay the ticket. So, after long consideration, we elected to just pay the ticket, and leave the tinting on.

Like hitch king said, due to an eye condition, she truly does have a problem seeing in bright sunlight, and I think I'll give her eye doctor a call, and get a letter from him. Just in case she gets stopped again.

I also like idea regarding lowering windows, and turning on interior lights.

TOF
    Given that the CCW program is managed by the Arizona Department of Public Safety I have always operated as if Arizona Department of Public Safety Officers were in the know. I don't know about the local Law Officers. Haven't been stopped for many many years (knock on wood) but carry a 2 card holder in my left shirt pocket which contains my Drivers License and CCW Permit. Were I to be interogated for any reason and asked for ID the Officer would be advised immediately.

He would have to address me first with basic reason for wanting to talk.

I also quit carrying wallet or anything else in my right hand pockets when I began CCW. I don't want any need to reach in the vicinity of my weapon unnecessarily.

Stay safe
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    No, the tint thing.. heh A buddy of mine had it done for me as a birthday present a few years ago while I was out of town. He's sending me the cost of the ticket in apologies. But the officer told me to show up for court with the ticket rather than pay the fine. He told me the local judge, upon proof that the tint has been fixed or removed, has been dismissing the fines for some time. So no big deal to me. I don't have classes on the day of court so its no trouble for me.

As for pulling me over for another reason?? Nope. I was doing 70 in a 75 zone and my car's engine is mostly stock (to include the exhaust). He didn't mention anything else, anyway. I wasn't going to fight with the guy, either. No point. He was going to write me the ticket or not and protesting would likely only ensure it. Sneaky? Meh. Whatever. He's just doing his job. I was violating the law. His job is to enforce it. Getting my buddy to send me the cash for it helps too.

To informing, yeah. I was no kidding about to say something when he asked. I'm a firm believer in it - but that's just my opinion. Officer and my own safety. He had asked me for registration, etc, when I was about to tell him. I actually laughed a little at the timing.

Helitech: I know. I recall hearing someone on here (possibly "Soundwave") mention that they were linked to the plates. I'm pretty curious about it. I'm doing a ride-along tonight with the Sheriff's Office so I'll be sure to ask and get clarification. It must be something fairly recent and not well known. The officer was an avid shooter himself and also a Gunsite grad and we talked about that for a few minutes. I guess he keeps up on these things better than I do. haha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Links