Good: Letter to editor

This is a discussion on Good: Letter to editor within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted a story about a guy robbed up in Moultrie, Ga earlier in the week. On the same newspaper site I found this: Moultrie ...

Thread: Good: Letter to editor

Good: Letter to editor

I posted a story about a guy robbed up in Moultrie, Ga earlier in the week. On the same newspaper site I found this:
    Moultrie Observer - Gun owners beware As I state before, I'm in this general area and the LEO's down here are not up to speed on gun laws, they all have their own ideas of the laws.

Dear editor:

Gun owners beware! New laws concerning concealed firearms were recently updated. If you carry a weapon for self defense as I often do, it would be wise to make sure you have a current Geogia firearms licsense with you or in your wallet at all times. You never know when you will meet a law enforcement officer as I did in the a local restaurant of all places.

I quickly produced my licsense for Inspection. My point is simply this. Remain calm and quickly advise the officer you have a gun permit. Some officers tend to want to draw first and ask questions later.

In today’s world I can understand their point of view, having served 18 years as a state law enforcement officer. However, I also believe officers shouldn't assume that every citizen with a gun is a threat as I believe they did when they saw my weapon.

If every gun owner went through a mandated firearms training course and was required to have a firearms licsense, think of how safe we all would be!

Clay Tucker

Moultrie
    I'm not endorsing this guys view of mandated training.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds as if he hasn't quite learned the meaning of concealed yet.......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Sounds as if he hasn't quite learned the meaning of concealed yet.......
    Georgia is an open carry state, my guess is he was open carrying.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

I go to that area pretty often (Thomasville, Valdosta, and Quitman, GA).

I think of it as the deep south and I aways thought carrying would more common in those parts.

Unfortunately, it seems like carrying is pretty uncommon. In fact, I don't know of any gun stores or ranges in that area (particularly in Thomasville).

So I bet cops don't have much experience dealing with legally armed citizens in those parts. I try to be extra careful when I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post

Aaaackk.......I knew that!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I've been to that area of Georgia many times. Have family that lives there, and I've use to hunt up there

Never had any problems. But then again as Dave in FL said,
    "Sounds as if he hasn't quite learned the meaning of concealed yet......."

We got a pawn shop that does a pretty good business in guns, new and used. and we got a Kevins. Only the plantation owners can afford to shop there. The ranges are private and belong to the county and city respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    So...who, doesn't know the meaning of concealed carry in GA?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Like some of the others I would guess he was OCing. If he was then you rock boy.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I asked a LEO buddy of mine, an officer in Georgia, about open carry in that state. He says while it is legal it is still not viewed very well by LEO and he would definitely stop and likely draw down on anyone open carrying a weapon. I asked why he would do something like that given the law allows for it.

His answer was "That it just doesnt look very good to an officer and depending on how the citizen responded to questioning would determine whether he/she was drawn down upon by the officer".

He also said Georgia has a seperate "permit" for open carrying a firearm. I have never heard of this myself but I live in Florida so I could be wrong.

This officer is a good friend of mine but damn, I dont agree with this policy.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    he would definitely stop and likely draw down on anyone open carrying a weapon. I asked why he would do something like that given the law allows for it.

His answer was "That it just doesnt look very good to an officer and depending on how the citizen responded to questioning would determine whether he/she was drawn down upon by the officer".
    I'm fairly certain LEOs swear to uphold the law, not to enforce their personal opinions.

Sounds like your friend doesn't care about either the first or second amendments.

Links