Carrying a SA/DA pistol in SA

This is a discussion on Carrying a SA/DA pistol in SA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, question for yall. I carry a Sig Sauer P226 which is a SA/DA pistol with a hammer. There is no external safety, only ...

View Poll Results: How do you carry your SA/DA pistol if you have one?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Round in the chamber with the hammer cocked.

34 23.45%
  • Round in the chamber with the hammer down.

102 70.34%
  • I don't carry with a round in the chamber.

9 6.21%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a SA/DA pistol in SA

Question Carrying a SA/DA pistol in SA

Hey guys, question for yall. I carry a Sig Sauer P226 which is a SA/DA pistol with a hammer. There is no external safety, only a decocker. I carry it full mag, one in the chamber, in double action - ie, hammer down. I was thinking, because my first shot is probably the most important in a gunfight, should I carry with the hammer cocked? That would change my trigger pull from 10lbs to 4.5lbs. My only questions are . . . . Is that safe and does anyone else carry their SA/DA like that?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    No, its not safe, don't do it. Practice shooting DA, it isn't a tough trigger to learn.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If you don't have an external safety that isn't a decocker, I wouldn't carry it cocked at all.

Train and keep training and eventually trigger poundage differences go down the tube.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Dang you guys are quick!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Carrying it cocked is the least safe method. If you don't like or can't shoot the pistol in DA mode perhaps you need to carry a different gun with a different trigger. For example, have you tried the Sig DAK, Glock, Walther QA, or HK LEM trigger? One of them may suityou better.

No way. That hammer might get in the way on your draw, it is more prone to be accidentally squeezed under pressure, and that extra weight and distance might be your friend if you ever have a tussle over your piece.

Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    Hey guys, question for yall. I carry a Sig Sauer P226 which is a SA/DA pistol with a hammer. There is no external safety, only a decocker. I carry it full mag, one in the chamber, in double action - ie, hammer down. I was thinking, because my first shot is probably the most important in a gunfight, should I carry with the hammer cocked? That would change my trigger pull from 10lbs to 4.5lbs. My only questions are . . . . Is that safe and does anyone else carry their SA/DA like that?

And three out of twelve in the poll do this? Interesting. I couldn't answer the poll since I don't have any DA/SA pistols. If I had something other than my P220 SAO, it would probably be a DAK since I'm used to the Glock mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Carrying it cocked is the least safe method. If you don't like or can't shoot the pistol in DA mode perhaps you need to carry a different gun with a different trigger. For example, have you tried the Sig DAK, Glock, Walther QA, or HK LEM trigger? One of them may suityou better.
    I have no problem with my Sig in DA mode, I was just thinking in a stressfull situation one might be more accurate in SA.

Wow guys. Thanks for all the replies in such a timely manner. Due to the overwhelming amount of people who suggested carrying in DA, I wll continue doing that. I appreciate no one scolding me for considering it, I was slightly afraid of that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post

And three out of twelve in the poll do this? Interesting. I couldn't answer the poll since I don't have any DA/SA pistols. If I had something other than my P220 SAO, it would probably be a DAK since I'm used to the Glock mainly.
    One of those is a tactile error - - I was impatient switching windows and long story short it was an accident.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    My Taurus PT92 can be (and I do carry it) cocked & locked. When I first started carrying it I carried it with one in the chamber and safety engaged.

With your SIG I would carry chambered and hammer down
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Lead Moderator
    Got four SIGs Three would be 1 in the chamber/hammer down (DA/SA). The third is SAO, so it has a safety which is ON.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post

Some DA/SA pistols can be carried cocked and locked. CZ pistols come to mind immediately.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    I was thinking, because my first shot is probably the most important in a gunfight, should I carry with the hammer cocked?
    NO! The DA/SA SIG was not designed to be carried that way!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Some DA/SA pistols can be carried cocked and locked. CZ pistols come to mind immediately.
    While that's true, the threads creator was asking about a Sig. I suspect most of the yes answers are due to either a mistake (as was mine) or the confusing poll title which does not mention a specific gun.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links