Need Help From Florida CCer's

This is a discussion on Need Help From Florida CCer's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm from Pennsylvannia , I'll be traveling to Florida in October ,(Keywest to be specific), I know we have a recipricocity agreement with FL, but ...

I'm from Pennsylvannia , I'll be traveling to Florida in October ,(Keywest to be specific), I know we have a recipricocity agreement with FL, but I'm not sure about Florida's laws , as far as where it's legal to carry, where it's not legal. I've been trying to do some research and it appears that it's not legal in places that serve alcohol, is that any place that serves any alcohol? If somebody could help clarify that , or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. And just to make sure, are Florida laws that same in every county/city/town or are there county/city/town laws I have to worry about too?

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Well just went to key west back in March and from my visit i would say in key west i didnt carry mine. I guess due to we went to every bar their so. Other than that check out Handgunlaws.us

Pretty simple, actually...

You cannot carry in any bar...period. Now in a bar and grill or a restaurant, you can sit in the 'food' part' of said establishment and you'll be just fine.
    Odd thing is that while armed...you cannot be in the bar portion of a restaurant and eat a burger, even if you're not drinking...but you can sit in the food part of the establishment and enjoy a cold one with your meal (I'm not advocating drinking and CCW...just making a point.)

I've not been to Key West, but I believe most of the places you'll be in will be plain ole' bars...thus, no weapons.

As far as other places you can't carry...not too much to worry about for your vacation. I assume you won't be going to courthouses, schools, or professional sporting events, etc. Churches, banks, liquor stores, and malls are all OK.

Signs mean nothing in FL, (I've never seen one...) but if asked to leave an establishment...do so.

If I've missed something, or you have other questions...speak up...lots of FL forum members here.

Enjoy the weather...

Stay armed...stay concealed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2006->Chapter 790 : flsenate.gov

In summary...

1. Any police station or facility.
    2. Any jail, prison, or detention facility.
    3. Any courthouse or courtroom.
    4. Any government meeting.
    5. Any meeting of the Legislature.
    6. Any polling place.
    7. Any school ‘facility.’
    8. Any athletic event of a school, college, or professional
    9. Inside the passenger portion of any airline terminal, and the ‘sterile area.’
    10. Any place prohibited by federal law (federal office or building, post office, IRS, Social Security, but NOT a bank).
    11. Any portion of a bar, restaurant, night club or establishment licensed to sell alcohol for consumption on premises in the portion of the premises primarily devoted to that purpose.
    12. Any place of ‘public nuisance,’ i.e., a house of prostitution, crack house or place of illegal gambling.

You must have your permit on you when you carry.

Welcome to the Gunshine State.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Weapon laws are governed by the state not by county or city. All rules apply equally in all counties and cities in Florida.

That doesnt mean you wont find some police departments who arent as friendly to concealed carry, but we are also a "No duty to inform" state, so just keep your mouth shut if stopped by the police unless they ask or have you get out of the car. At that point, I would inform first before exiting the car.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Colt 45 posted the rules already, but just in case you want the link.

Possession Restrictions - Weapons - Division of Licensing, DOACS

We visit Key West about once a year, and I've never had any problems. But then again I carry my P3AT in the front pocket of my shorts, and someone would be VERY hard pressed to know I'm armed.

For the most part the Key's are very laid back, and with exception of a few area near Key West there is very little crime. Ya now its an Island and no way to flee.

In any case, Most of the establishment you would want to visit (Sloppy Joes, Hogs Breath) just to name a couple are also restaurants' so carrying is legal in the restaurant area.

Have fun

As everyone have already stated the laws here are very simple and reasonable and easy to follow. Good luck on your trip.
    NRA Member

Thanks for all the info, it's nice to be going on vacation and not have to leave my favorite "sidekick" at home. We ( me and my wife) are really looking forward to this trip.

I try to plan any travel arrangements around states we have reciprocity with,I have no reason to ever visit california,but would visit florida in a heartbeat
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Oh... I forgot something.

I should point out that most of the establishments in Key West at night have there own security guards standing at the door.

While it is legal, to carry, if Security notices your carrying a sidearm they will not let you in. And they do give your un-tucked shirt a good look. So, if you normally carry your sidearm OWB covered with a shirt, you may have a problem.

Again, it is legal to carry just the establishment security prefer you don't, so options are pocket carry or IWB.

Have fun..

If you are driving, go here to plan your trip. Some states are not as friendly and you may have to skirt around.

Welcome to CarryConcealed.net

Tip, AVOID South Carolina AND Maryland.

Links