Can you get two CCW permits from different states??

This is a discussion on Can you get two CCW permits from different states?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Oregon & am going to be getting my permit soon, but overheard some fellas talking & they said that in a town ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I live in Oregon & am going to be getting my permit soon, but overheard some fellas talking & they said that in a town south of me there was an instructor giving out Utah State CCW permits. These permits were said to be good in a large number of states. I looked online and they are good in 34 states, but sadly not Oregon. So, my questions is- can I get both an Oregon CCW AND a Utah CCW? Makes no sense that an instuctor would be giving them in Oregon if the OR residents who were reciving them could not have an OR CCW as well.

I would just call around & ask the instructor but I will have to wait untill Monday to do so, & I'm curious now!

Thanks- John
    Someone get me a really thought provoking pro-gun quote to go here.....aw hell, KILL 'EM ALL!!!!!!!(bg's that is)
    Personal defense-
    Glock 20
    Mossy 500A

Yes, I have a Virginia resident permit and a New Hampshire non-resident permit. My youngest son plays baseball in the ACC and this way I can carry in the states I'll be visiting.

There is no problem with getting multiple permits...just be sure when and how they are recognized before using them in different states.

Stay armed...know the laws...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks guys, aprreciate the responses.

"Stay armed...know the laws...stay safe!" Absolutely!

-John
    Someone get me a really thought provoking pro-gun quote to go here.....aw hell, KILL 'EM ALL!!!!!!!(bg's that is)
    Personal defense-
    Glock 20
    Mossy 500A

I wish I could, I live in Texas and have my CHL here, my family lives in Nebraska and when I go there there is still no reciprocity with a TX license in NE or any state for that matter, and they do not issue non resident permits. Go figure can drive carrying through Oklahoma and Kansas, but once I reach the NE state line I cannot! Very frustrating!
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Information

Go to Handgunlaw.us and click on Non Resident Permits in the left column. It will tell you how to get all the non resident permits available.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

I don't understand the "giving away" part of your post? In order to receive a non resident permit you must apply directly to that states local goverment office. Nobody in the field can just hand them out. You will have to pay the applicable fees for that license as well. This sounds strange to me!! I live in NC and am allowed to carry in 32 states, IIRC, I see no need for a non resident permit as mine is recognized everywhere I travel.
    Good Luck

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I don't understand the "giving away" part of your post? In order to receive a non resident permit you must apply directly to that states local goverment office. Nobody in the field can just hand them out. You will have to pay the applicable fees for that license as well. This sounds strange to me!! I live in NC and am allowed to carry in 32 states, IIRC, I see no need for a non resident permit as mine is recognized everywhere I travel.
    Good Luck

NCH
    I'm glad that it works out for you.

I recently went on a weekend trip and had to go through PA to get to WV. Ohio and WV have reciprocity but Ohio and PA do not. I have a PA non-res and so was able to carry the whole trip. that is why many people have multiple CHLs.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

My FL permit gives me full reciprocity with 38 states. BUT if there are certain restrictions allowed in FL but not allowed elsewhere then I must comply with the laws of the state through which I'm moving. So if my FL permit covers an "automatic knife" but switchblades are prohibited in Georgia, then I can't carry my knife there. I might substitute my manual SpyderCo pocket knife instead & that's fine with me. I always check before taking a trip. I never travel to a state where my CCW permit is rejected. So when we drove out to Texas to pick up our Newfoundland pup three years ago (companion for our other newfie) I was able to be armed in every state between FL and TX. That was a 2 week trip in which there was never a moment when I felt unsafe or where I felt my family was in any sort of potential jeopardy. That's my definition of "secure."

This thing where some "instructor" is handing out the ccw permits for another state smells like either FRAUD or a federal sting. Either way, you can't go wrong if you report him to the State Attorney General. That's what I'd do. You might be keeping some poor guy from a jail term who is otherwise innocent.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I'm confident that what the poster meant when he said that a local (Oregon) instructor was "giving away" Utah non-resident permits is that that instructor has been certified as a "Utah Firearms Instructor (UFI)," from whom you must take training before being allowed to obtain a Utah non-resident permit. The Utah non-resident permit is so popular that you can easily fine certified UFI's all over the country.

Most likely the instructor is giving nothing away; the poster would have to pay him for a firearms safety class which conforms to Utah's laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    This thing where some "instructor" is handing out the ccw permits for another state smells like either FRAUD or a federal sting. Either way, you can't go wrong if you report him to the State Attorney General. That's what I'd do. You might be keeping some poor guy from a jail term who is otherwise innocent.
    Have you considered that the OP may have missunderstood, or been miss-informed, about what the "instructor" is doing? In many places intructors, that have been approved by Utah, offer classes that will qualify a student for a Utah non-resident permit. They frequently help the students complete the paperwork. They do not "hand out permits."

Ken

I have both a FL and KS permit. It helps to have both, because a few of the southern states that I travel in recognize the FL, but not the KS permit and some western states only recognize resident permits, so my FL permit is no good there.

I wish national reciprocity would get strightened out somehow.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Misinformation or DISinformation? Somebody needs to check and be certain

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    Have you considered that the OP may have missunderstood, or been miss-informed, about what the "instructor" is doing? In many places intructors, that have been approved by Utah, offer classes that will qualify a student for a Utah non-resident permit. They frequently help the students complete the paperwork. They do not "hand out permits."

Ken
    Sure, things like that happen frequently and he should check on that but as a former LEO myself, I also know that the art of the "con" is vast and pervasive so if it looks too good to be true, it probably IS. It never hurts to check, right?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Wink National Reciprocity?

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I have both a FL and KS permit. It helps to have both, because a few of the southern states that I travel in recognize the FL, but not the KS permit and some western states only recognize resident permits, so my FL permit is no good there.

I wish national reciprocity would get strightened out somehow.
    I've never been anywhere in the South where my permit isn't any good. I may at some point ride a motorcycle out to Idaho in that once in a lifetime trip and before I do, I'll seriously get the latest update on the laws.

As far as national reciprocity, I used to think that would be the simplest and easiest method to get us where we need to go. That is until I started teaching AP American Government and really learning about the plans our friendly neighborhood politicians have in mind for the sheep.

Just remember this: Anything the federal government gives they can take away just as easily. However, interstate compacts or agreements between states must be dismantled one at a time at least theoretically under the 10th Amendment. Whether or not the 10th has been gutted is not as important as is the recent Heller decision. That gives us some breathing room to fight back. But I'd rather fight a national war state by state than a national war all at the same time, all the eggs in one basket, winner take all and H*** take the loser!

South Carolina PRESENTLY is an exception...

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I've never been anywhere in the South where my permit isn't any good.
    But possibly that will be corrected shortly when, and if ever, South Carolina publishes its updated reciprocity list!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links