How not to conceal your weapon.

This is a discussion on How not to conceal your weapon. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A good friend of mine who is a Deputy Sheriff was telling me about an incident that happened a few weeks ago around here. He ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How not to conceal your weapon.

How not to conceal your weapon.

A good friend of mine who is a Deputy Sheriff was telling me about an incident that happened a few weeks ago around here. He was not the LEO but was laughing about it. Remember that in South Carolina, Open Carry is not an option.

It seems that they got a call from the local Wal-Mart about a man with a gun. When the police arrived they found the fellow was carrying his gun IWB but with the grip fully exposed. he had made no effort to conceal the grip only the barrel of the gun. They approached him and asked for ID etc. It turned out that the had a CWP but evidently just did not understand what concealed meant. They explained to him that in SC that they gun had to be completely concealed and if not he could be charged and arrested. The fellow carried his gun out to his car and returned to his shopping. The officer made a report but did not arrest the fellow and returned to his rounds.

About two hours later this same LEO revceived another MWAG call from a different store. When he arrived it was the same fellow and he still had the grip of his gun exposed. This time the officer explained the concept of concealed carry to the man and told him that the next person to do any explaining about concealed carry would be a judge. He again did not arrest him but let him off with a stern verbal warning.

2. Remove Ads

I am afraid the second time would have gotten him arrested if I had been the LEO. Some people only learn the hard way.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

He should have arrested him the second time. Obviously the guy doesn't understand concealed carry and shouldn't have a permit.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Cop tells me to do something or to stop doing something, and has chapter-and-verse to back it up, I do what he says. No specific references? Heck, I do what he says anyway!

After I get home, if I'm curious, I look it up. If I find an apparent disagreement between the officer and the actual law, it is time to start a deeper "dig" - perhaps through higher-ups at his agency, or a lawyer if I'm motivated. But arguing in a WalMart aisle ain't the place.

At least the fellow didn't say something like "I'm gonna shoot the next guy who tells me I can't carry openly" or some other bluster. Wonder who taught the CCW class he was in? Hope the fellow hears of this episode and begins stressing the OP prohibition a little more. To be sure, it was a "Concealed" class, but it should have been discussed to the point that Joe Showoff would never have appeared here.

Ignorance knows no limit. First, the offending fool lacks any sense of discretion. Second, he's resistant to what would appear to be a generous and very professional courtesy from the LEO. Idiots like this will only favor opponents of carry.

VIP Member
    I hope he bought a lottery ticket that night, because he had a big lucky streak going!

I'd say it was very unusual that he didn't get arrested the 2nd time
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Administrator
    I must admit I would have probably made an arrest the second time around.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You can't fix stupid
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I guarantee you the fellow knew his gun was exposed. It probably had more to do with "look at me" instead of ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You can't fix stupid
    Sure you can... Let's see. There's lots of methods:
    • Electric chair
    • Noose
    • Firing Squad
    • Lethal Injection
    • and of course my favorite...Darwin awards for those who would rather take themselves out of the gene pool for us
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

This is a case of the CWP instructor NOT pounding the concealed section into his students.

I agree, 2nd time = free ride to jail.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Sounds like this guys brain has only two speeds...slow and off. He won't have his CCW permit very long.

Stay armed...increase the brain speed when CCW...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    As Bill Engvall would say "Hey Bubba.....heres your sign!!!"

A trip to jail and explaining to the judge as to why the warning didn't sink in the first time is what he should have gotten after the second call to the police.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    From time to time during my career I would encounter people who just would not think the words you were telling them applied to them. You could look them straight in the face and say don't do so and so, or do so and so this way, and they'd just smile and keep on doing their thing.

The guy is lucky he wasn't arrested, but I bet he must have somehow impressed the cop that he was O.K., because that second chance was pretty dang generous.

The fellow is one of those who just thinks the words don't apply to him. He heard what the cop told him. He probably was told what the law is in his concealed class. He just thinks the words don't apply to him.

The cop will see him a third time I'm sure. The end result will be an arrest.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    It isn't the concealed part that concerns me...if he didn't have enough sense to understand the gravity and responsibility...then I cringe on his understanding, knowledge, and experience concerning the use of the weapon.

Rick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links