Do you know an attorney to call if the SHTF?

This is a discussion on Do you know an attorney to call if the SHTF? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking about this the other day. Us "cream of the crop citizen" types known as concealed handgun permit holders statistically DO NOT COMMIT ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was thinking about this the other day. Us "cream of the crop citizen" types known as concealed handgun permit holders statistically DO NOT COMMIT CRIMES and therefore probably don't have the name of a good attorney handy if we ever had to actually draw our weapon in self defense. SO, how many of you out there have an attorney on retainer? How would you go about quickly locating one that specializes in cases such as we might be involved? I know there are outfits that offer insurance you can buy for this but I kinda feel that it's not much different from an extended warranty plan on an appliance (the probability is very small that you will ever actually need to use it). Then again, if my fridge bites it I would not be looking at the possibility of death by lethal injection!
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

I have in my wallet the names, addresses, office phone and cell phone numbers of three (3) in-state attorneys I KNOW who have successfully defended either law enforcement officers &/or private citizens in self-defense shootings. They're on my cell phone speed dial as well. Rest assured, I've done my home-work and researched them.

These same attorneys, fortunately, are participating in one or more of the legal referral programs to which I subscribe.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I have a close lawyer friend that would come to my aid.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Definitely keep the number of a Second Amendment Lawyer in you wallet and a copy of your license and lawyers phone number in your car in case our wallet gets lost in a confrontation. Don’t plan on using just any Lawyer or Public Defender in a armed self defense case. They specialize just like doctors, a lawyer may know divorces and wills and know very little about state handgun laws. I keep the number of a local 2A lawyer and as a backup the states premier second amendment attorneys number in my wallet just in case.

If you are prepared to shoot a BG you also need to be prepared for the aftermath. Lawyers, a second weapon (yours will be confiscated pending an investigation) because any BG may have family and BG friends that would like revenge, a close friend that you can stay with for a few days if you have an incident and let him/her know they can stay with you if they have an incident. The gun going boom is the beginning not the end of your problems so be prepared.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

I also carry the name of a good 2A lawyer in my wallet.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Does anyone know where I can find a listing of attorneys (by state) that specialize in 2A cases? I have been searching the web without much luck.
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

The lawyer for the shooting club I belong to is very active in the 2nd amendment area and her expertise is in firearms cases. If I ever needed to engage a lawyer in that area, I have my in.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

is there a list where i can find some name,profiles and phone numbers in the different states?

I did some research and got the names of several good attorneys that specialize in CC permit holders cases. I have their cards in my wallet and their numbers on speed dial. I contacted them and did a brief introduction so they know my name but I don't have them "on retainer" if that means I paid them anything up front.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixintu View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find a listing of attorneys (by state) that specialize in 2A cases? I have been searching the web without much luck.
    On this Forum. In the blue banner on top, go to "Forum Help & Extras. CCW Attorney Information."
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Ron
    It is not necessary to put the attorney on a retainer. Just meet with him or her so that you have established a relationship with them, and ask what they advise you to do if you should ever be in a situation where you have had to use deadly force, ie, what should you say if you make a 911 call, and what, if anything, you should say to the investigating officer at the scene, etc? Then be sure to have the telephone number of that attorney on your speed dial.

I suspect that most exprienced CCW attorneys will advise you to say only that you were in fear for your life when you used your gun and that you will be happy to make a more detailed statement after you have spoken with your attorney.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    You can check the NRA website as well, but keep in mind that it only means that they have registered with the NRA, you may still want to check them out.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Administrator
    Yup.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have spoken with an attorney who handles these types of cases.
    I also happen to know him personally.
    His office, cell and home phone are in my phone, along with my wife's phone.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Best source for lawyers, in my opinion, are local law enforcement officers. LEO's tend to know who's good, and who's not. Once you've got some referrals, go to Martindale and check out their ratings. Martindale-Hubbell rates lawyers AV, BV, CV, etc. These ratings are the result of confidential lawyer surveys--lawyers rating lawyers. It's not foolproof, but it will give you some insight.

Here's the link to Martindale... Lawyers, Find a Lawyer, Law Firm & Attorney Directory - martindale.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links